RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Canadian advice

Author Topic: Canadian advice
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll be taking the Canadian westbound next week and would appreciate any advice from those who have already taken it.

Also any Toronto tips would be appreciated including checking luggage at the station early on departure day and favorite restaurants or sights in the downtown area. Our hotel is a block from the station. We'll probably check out the CN Tower if the weather is decent but no plans beyond that.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many hotels will hold your baggage from check out time until the time you want to pick it up later in the day, as in close to train time.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you going all the way to Vancouver? If so, I suggest, when traveling through the rockies, getting a seat in a dome car asap. They fill up fast.

Does anyone know if the Canadian will be offering the deluxe sleepers by this summer? If so, I wonder what the rates will be.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In terms of checking your bags, if you mean the bags for your room, just speak with a redcap. With proper inducement, they are great about storing your bags, and placing them in the room for you when train backs down to the station.

If you have not done this journey before, you are in for a treat. They may also add an extra full length sightseer car at Edmonton...at least they did last year.

Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea that VIA added a sightseer car in Edmonton, MDRR. Do you know what it is? The summer consist for the train is supposed to be 21 cars, including a baggage, 2 coaches, 3 Skyline Dome cafe cars, 2 Diners, 14 sleepers, and the Park Car. Two of the three cafe cars are back to back with the diners to provide additional sit down capacity.

While George has a good solution if all else fails, a Redcap sounds like the way to go - as it is with Amtrak. And yes, we will be going on to Vancouver (and Amtrak travels beyond after a visit to relatives in Victoria). Our car is next to the Park car so I'll be grabbing a seat in the dome as often as possible, although I think I almost prefer the rear seat in the Observation.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm jealous. This sounds like a great trip. Have fun!!!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
I had no idea that VIA added a sightseer car in Edmonton, MDRR. Do you know what it is?

It's a Panorama Car.....(shown here in Jasper)

-

Click on 360 degree photo here for interior views:

http://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/our-fleet/glass-domed-coach

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa! I had no clue that VIA had these cars. They look like they were built by Colorado Railcar? I know they're not around any more, but it sure looks like their style of car.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ghCBNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:
Whoa! I had no clue that VIA had these cars. They look like they were built by Colorado Railcar? I know they're not around any more, but it sure looks like their style of car.

Yes, Colorado Railcar. VIA got them from BC Rail who used them on their "Whistler Northwind" service. They were originally CN coaches built by CCF in 1954.

In the photo above they're in service on VIA's Snow Train Express......a weekend service between Edmonton & Jasper in the late 2000s. They've also been used on the Skeena.

Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Thanks for the info, CBNS. It'll be interesting to see where they put them in the train. While I certainly want to check them out, I think I'll spend my time in Mr. Budd's domes.

According to Arthur Dubin's 'More Classic Trains' the CP took delivery on the Canadian in July 1954, almost 60 years ago. And what an order it was: 18 dome-coach-buffets (the Skyline cars), 18 diners, 18 dome observations (the Park cars), and 71 sleepers. Since VIA seems to have given up on real transportation in favor of cruise trains on erratic schedules, maybe Mr. Ellis can scoop up any surplus to add to his stash.

And Smitty, thanks for the good wishes. How about this idea for you. Fly to Toronto, Canadian to Vancouver, and then your first cruise trip on one of the one way positioning cruises in the fall from Vancouver to southern CA. You can check off a couple items on your wish list.

ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:
Thanks for the info, CBNS. It'll be interesting to see where they put them in the train.

From a consist posted last week.....they appear to be positioned mid-train.
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:

Does anyone know if the Canadian will be offering the deluxe sleepers by this summer? If so, I wonder what the rates will be.

Richard

The deluxe section of the Canadian won't be ready for this summer season. Although the exterior rebuild was completed by Avalon in Wisconsin - including cutting new large windows - the cars were sent back to VIA's maintenance centre in Toronto with no interiors. According to the Bytown Railway Society, half the cars are stored in Toronto and the other half (two Park cars and four Château sleepers) are being completed at Charny. So it appears that next summer might see their introduction.

Regarding the length of the Canadian, the consists I've seen in Toronto this month have had between 10 and 14 sleeping cars.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
Here's #2 departing Vancouver on May 21/13

F40 6412
F40 6451
F40 6438

Baggage 8616
Coach 8143
Coach 8117
Skyline 8503
Diner Emerald
Skyline 8510
Dunsmuir Manor
Bliss Manor
Brant Manor
Glass-roofed Coach 1722
Abbot Manor
Carleton Manor
Wolfe Manor
Chateau Latour
Rogers Manor
Chateau Iberville
Sherwood Manor
Skyline 8500
Diner Imperial
Burton Manor
Bayfield Manor
Elgin Manor
Revelstoke Park

Total 23 cars including 13 sleepers. The Panorama Car (glass roof coach) is 10 cars back among the sleeper.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Wow. Too bad VIA can't do what is obvious - run a shorter train daily rather than this monster 3 days a week.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Since VIA seems to have given up on real transportation in favor of cruise trains on erratic schedules...,

By now, it should be evident that "the Canadia/en" is simply not a player in the Point A to B transportation market. Since much more of Canada's GNP represents tourism than does ours, that industry leans on Ottawa to provide a high level of on-board service, Sleepers for all, and a Coach or two for the backpackers.

I can recall from my Canada travels circa '64 and '65, when the frequency on either Transcontinental line was "two a day", meeting business travelers going to places such as Biggar, Sask and Portage La Prairie, Man. I doubt of 2 or 3 a week represents too much of a "presence" into any such market today.

Neither for that matter does the "one a day" prevalent below the 49th represent same.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
quote:
Since VIA seems to have given up on real transportation in favor of cruise trains on erratic schedules...,

By now, it should be evident that "the Canadia/en" is simply not a player in the Point A to B transportation market. Since much more of Canada's GNP represents tourism than does ours, that industry leans on Ottawa to provide a high level of on-board service, Sleepers for all, and a Coach or two for the backpackers.

I can recall from my Canada travels circa '64 and '65, when the frequency on either Transcontinental line was "two a day", meeting business travelers going to places such as Biggar, Sask and Portage La Prairie, Man. I doubt of 2 or 3 a week represents too much of a "presence" into any such market today.

Neither for that matter does the "one a day" prevalent below the 49th represent same.

Going back to the 1960's (and 1950's) I'm sure, Mr. Norman, there were many more options for point A to point B travel in Western Canada. Not only passenger routes on CPR and CN, but was the Grand Trunk Pacific RR still operating in the 60's?

What about the Calgary-Edmonton RR "Dayliner", from Edmonton to Calgary? There has been some talk of a high speed train project between Edmonton and Calgary. I think even a conventional train from Edmonton to Calgary would be welcome.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
By now, it should be evident that "the Canadia/en" is simply not a player in the Point A to B transportation market......... I doubt if 2 or 3 a week represents too much of a "presence" into any such market today.

GBN, I like to think Amtrak's one a day trains still provide a useful service on their routes.
A couple examples:
New Montana Stop. Brief passage-(from the Billings Gazzette) "Amtrak plans to study the feasibility of adding a stop in Culbertson for people traveling to the Baaken region for work.

U.S. Sens. Jon Tester and Max Baucus requested the study to give oil field workers another transportation option. They note that the oil field jobs are drawing workers from all over Montana, but some are finding it difficult to make the long commute."

Also, Boardman testified recently and used the CZ as an example (from Trains.com report):

"Of the Zephyr trips that began or ended in Chicago, here’s how their destinations were distributed:

Small stations east or west of Omaha: 40.2 percent
Metro areas excluding Omaha and Emeryville: 38.5 percent
Emeryville, Cal. (western terminus): 15.2 percent
Omaha, Neb.: 6.1 percent

The figures underscore Boardman’s contention that long-distance customers can’t simply purchase plane tickets between a train’s endpoints"

But, while there may be a useful transportation purpose, whether or not it makes economic sense is another question.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Heading for Toronto tomorrow. The Canadian to Vancouver, then EB Glacier to Portland, CS to Sacramento, and CZ to Denver. Bus/Ferry/Car between Vancouver and Glacier via Victoria.
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Palmland:

You say the Empire Builder from Glacier to Portland? Am I reading that correctly? How will you get from Vancouver to Glacier Park?

By the way, the Rocky Mountaineer now has a train from Seattle to Vancouver-Vancouver to Seattle. However, I think it has to be part of a package involving Vancouver to Jasper or Calgary. Maybe they will eventually allow just Seattle to Vancouver or reverse.

Richard

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Richard- We're visiting relatives in Victoria
Then ferry to Seattle and car rental to Glacier. Making a stop in Hanford/Richland WA where I loved at age 1. Don't remember much just family stories.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Ok, Palmland. Thanks for clarifying.

I assume you will be taking Highway 2 from Spokane to Glacier. If you haven't driven that highway before, you're in for a treat. Very scenic. Have a great trip!

Richard

ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:
Going back to the 1960's (and 1950's) I'm sure, Mr. Norman, there were many more options for point A to point B travel in Western Canada. Not only passenger routes on CPR and CN, but was the Grand Trunk Pacific RR still operating in the 60's?

Long gone!.......Grand Trunk Pacific was one of the constituent companies when Canadian National was formed by the government in the early 1920s.

quote:
What about the Calgary-Edmonton RR "Dayliner", from Edmonton to Calgary? There has been some talk of a high speed train project between Edmonton and Calgary. I think even a conventional train from Edmonton to Calgary would be welcome.
Also long gone……I don’t think a conventional train would cut it but there’s always a “study” for high-speed rail going on. Its 300km between Calgary and Edmonton and the proposal is to locate a new rail line within the median of the Queen Elizabeth II Freeway. There’s over a million populations at each end so it might work.
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I do see that the Grand Trunk Pacific was swallowed up by CNR in 1920. I am really confused...maybe I'm thinking of the Grand Trunk Western?

A few years a ago, while in a restaurant at the Waterfront Station (old CPR station) in Vancouver, there was a poster for an all-Pullman "Grand Trunk" train into Western Canada. Was there once an all sleeping car train to Western Canada ..either Grand Trunk Pacific of Grand Trunk Western?

I think the Calgary to Edmonton train was around up until the 70's or 80's:

http://www.forthjunction.com/c-and-e-railway.htm

I don't know if there has been recent news with regard to a return of the run, either HSR or conventional.

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let it be noted that the name Grand Trunk very much lives on:

Grand Trunk Corporation is a Delaware corporation that comprises all Canadian National US operations. The principal one of such is the former Illinois Central.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ghCBNS
Member # 3093

Rate Member
quote:
I do see that the Grand Trunk Pacific was swallowed up by CNR in 1920. I am really confused...maybe I'm thinking of the Grand Trunk Western?
Richard

Grand Trunk Western was the western end of CN’s mainline from Toronto to Chicago......beginning in Port Huron and including a branch between Detroit and Durand MI.

You could ride a Grand Trunk Western passenger train right up ‘till Amtrak.

-

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I think I have been completely off the mark, thinking that Vancouver restaurant poster was about the Grand Trunk Pacific or Grand Trunk Western.

Here is a picture of the poster:

-

The Trans-Canada Limited was the passenger train I had in mind. It went from Montreal to Vancouver back in the 1920's. Wasn't around in the 1930's. It was a sleeping car only train and ran only in the summer.

Richard

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page