RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » T minus 8 days and counting

Author Topic: T minus 8 days and counting
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next Wednesday (May 29), the wife & I head out from Houston to Seattle. Room "C" to LAX and room "D" to Seattle. We then jump on the Golden Princess and cruise to Juneau, AK for 7 days, then return to Seattle and fly back to Houston, via SW Air.

I plan on taking copious amounts of pictures with my D5100. I have 2 of the 16 gig SDHC cards and one 8 gig. Hope I have enough, cuz I'm taking my droid tablet, and I do not know if I can download pictures onto it.

This will be a LONG 8 days!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike,
Sounds like a wonderful trip ... ENJOY !!!
Dee (who is green with envy).

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will be our first time to Alaska. My sister and her husband and my brother and his wife are taking the trip with us, but they are flying to Seattle.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike....Just a reminder, there are 2 cruise ship terminals in Seattle and the Princess ships depart from T91, WHICH IS NOT IN DOWNTOWN SEATTLE! The cab ride to T91 takes about 10 minutes from downtown Seattle (public transportation isn't an option). Make sure you go to the right terminal and have a great trip.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What day does that put you on #14 on day number 1 coming through San Jose or Oakland? If I'm available, I'll cruise down to the station to meet you. I'm equidistant from both stations (about 40 minutes away for each one), but Oakland is a real hell hole that has become incredibly dangerous....so I might skip that and do San Jose instead. Just let me know what the correct date is.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a wonderful time! You will find Alaska amazing, very beautiful and very interesting.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, a bit of photographic advice: Avoid filling up the memory cards. Leave maybe 500 meg-1 gig free. When memory cards are full, the camera does funny things to them. I been there.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Thanks for the advise, Henry. I'm relatively new to DSLR photography. And Smitty, I leave LAX at 10:10 AM, Friday, May 31, 2013 in Car 1432 - Room D with a San Jose meet-up at ??? I guess I should look at a CS schedule...
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Vincent, we have a SeaTac hotel that will shuttle us to pier 91 on Sunday morning. Too bad they will not pick us up at the Amtrak station, but they will meet us at the SeaTac light rail station Saturday night.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Seattle light rail is, at least, very close to King Street Station. You just go up the stairs, turn right, cross the street and then entrances to the light rail are just on the other side of the old Seattle Union Station.

Admittedly with luggage and after having ridden in on the Coast Starlight one would rather have just one transfer between transport instead of two.

I hope you have a great trip.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't checked the schedule lately, but SJC should be around 8:30PM or so (at least it has been for the last 20 years or so). I hope I can make it---we'll keep in touch on FB.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Connecting between King Street Station and light rail is easier now with the completed station renovations. If you have lots of luggage, find the lobby elevator and take it up to street level, exit onto Jackson Street, cross the street to Union Station and you are at the light rail station entrance.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Vincent, I think my brother is renting a car for a day, and he volunteered to pick us up at the Amtrak Station (and drop us off at Pier 91). His wife will want to see that station!

Smitty, I'll pm you my cell #, via facebook. You can call and let me know if you will be able to make it. 8:30 pm = 10:30pm my time, so I would normally be asleep...

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
I have started to pack my Amtrak suitcase!
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We look forward to hearing about your trip....... and hope it's a good one.

I'm curious whether the dining car staffs will be giving you meal receipts (even for sleeping car passengers) after each meal as they were doing on the Silver Meteor Sunday/Monday.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
I plan on doing a minor trip report, and will include that info, David!
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
We are leaving for the Amtrak station in 3.... 2....

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Well, you should be on the train right now enjoying train #1. Looking forward to a trip report! Tomorrow you get on-board my favorite train, #14. I hope to squeeze in the time to see you at SJC tomorrow. I will text you.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Well, Mike should be on the cruise ship right about now. I did not get to see him when his train came through San Jose---they were running too late for that to happen.

His train, unfortunately, did not have a PPC---it had a substitution car which was a Cross Country Cafe. Also had a PV ("Silver Iris") on the rear which was added at Oakland.

Have a great cruise!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those Parlour Cars certainly appear to be "money pits"; it is a wonder Amtrak just seems to keep them "going and going", as they would certainly appear to be "Mica bait".

On a more "micro" level I'm sorry that Mr. Mike Smith had to do with a 370XX "X-Country". The least Amtrak could have done was scrounged up a 330XX "Sightseer", even if they had to yank it out of inbound #3, Chief's, consist. No big loss if a CCC did a round trip on the Chief.

Finally, "Silver Iris", when delivered to the CB&Q during 1953, was configured as a 6 Sec-4 BR-6 RM. The car found its way on to the Amtrak roster (#2153) complete with the open Sections. However as I recall, those Sections were used as dormitory space, and one must wonder if the private owners have retained them.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Not quite on the ship... We will be heading there in about an hour. The Sunset was packed and the 1432 car on the Starlight was half full. We had the typical dispatch problems but nothing unusual for the past 3 days!

More later.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page