RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A Milestone

Author Topic: A Milestone
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've just tallied up my additional 945 rail miles from my recent overnighter on the Silver Meteor (yes - I am THAT kind of train geek)and made an unexpected discovery.

I have been married just six weeks shy of 15 years and, now, for the first time since the wedding in July 1998, the number of train miles I have ridden as a married man exceeds the number of train miles I logged as a bachelor.

My last two train rides as a bachelor were behind steam at the Cass Scenic Railroad and with Southern Railway #4501 at the Tennessee Valley Railway Museum. The first two as a married man were part of a honeymoon trip involving the Lake Shore Limited and the Empire Builder.

I'm appreciative for having a wife who permits some solo train riding each year. I'm also appreciative for having a wife who pointed out that I could log more train miles by flying to the places where the trains I wanted to ride are located!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...and I thought this was going to be your 4,000th post milestone. I've always secretly hoped that your 4,000th post would be a trip report from your first ride on the Wisconsin Talgo, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Congratulations on finding such a wonderful partner!

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Vincent -

What a concept for the 4,000th post but no.......

Though we will be riding whatever Talgo presents itself from Portland to Seattle in July..... and I need to go ahead and reach 4,000th posts so I can change my tagline in an honorable way. No point in dragging it out waiting for the Wisconsin Talgo.

I'd settle for a return of the Blackhawk for a Chicago-Dubuque ride in a horizon coach though!

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Vincent--

Is this to say Mr. Presley will have to fly out to your neck of the woods, presuming that is where the Wisconsin Talgos will end up, to report on a Talgo ride?

Be it assured, he is a decent guy who I have met face to face - and he doesn't foam at the mouth - just likes to eat at Subway.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
cheap - quick - not particularly fattening!

--------------------
David Pressley

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While my wife is certainly tolerant of train travel, to do so requires some comfort and that means sleeper accommodation which is fair enough - I may do an occasional single overnight in coach alone but that's all. But sleeper accommodations these days are somewhat pricey. Add two children to the mix and it's a virtual no-no now!

Sadly my 17,000+ miles will stay at that total for some time yet! I've stopped counting though could probably work it out if inclined to do so.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page