RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » RIP, Sen. Frank Lautenberg

Author Topic: RIP, Sen. Frank Lautenberg
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A liberal stalwart and friend of Amtrak gone:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/03/frank-lautenberg-dead-dies_n_3377916.html

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He understood that there is more to modern passenger railroading than profit-and-loss sheets.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hardcore liberal, Obama-man. I have nothing personal against the guy, but he was pretty much "for" everything I am against. He wanted restricted freedoms (major gun control legislation) and big government. A true liberal.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:

A true liberal.

What I said, a liberal stalwart. See, we agree on something.

The world waits with bated breath to see how Christie handles the appointment of his successor.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
More about the late Sen. and Amtrak from the Newark Star-Ledger:

"Long an advocate for the region's train system, Sen. Frank Lautenberg will ride the rails one last time on the way to his final resting place in Arlington National Cemetery. . . . .

.... A source said Lautenberg's body would then be taken to New Jersey, where he will be ceremonially placed on an Amtrak train bound for Washington, DC."

Images of the 1968 RFK funeral train on the PRR behind a GG-1 just came back to me; same time of year, too.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:

A true liberal.

What I said, a liberal stalwart. See, we agree on something.

The world waits with bated breath to see how Christie handles the appointment of his successor.

Oh yes, we're definitely in agreement on that one! [Smile]

My honest take on Chris Christie: Why is he a Republican? I'm serious---why? He does nothing that is even remotely Republican. He's what we call a "RINO" (Republican In Name Only). Why doesn't he simply jump ship and become a Democrat? Then at least he will be honest with himself and his constituency. Who will he appoint? LOL---it's pretty obvious that it won't be anyone with an (R) by their name---and you can take that to the bank!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he should be buried in the Frank Lautenberg Train Station in Secaucus, NJ. Should be a law for all politicians that name things that are not memorials for themselves we'll call it the Robert Byrd law. Perhaps Christie will name Douglas Forester to the seat.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/05/nyregion/christie-sets-october-special-election-for-lautenberg-seat.html?_r=0

The expense of this special election is mind boggling. (Especially since there is an election scheduled for November ... one month later.)

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I just sat that this morning, Dee. That is so ridiculous. A Democrat will win--why not just appointment one and save the money?? He is a fool (and, unfortunately, he is probably going to be the GOP's nomination for president for 2016--guaranteeing a win for Hillary Clinton).
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CBS Radio News reported during the 5AM CT hour that the Sen. Lautenberg's body will be loaded aboard the special train at the Lautenberg Transportation Center in Secaucus for the journey to Wash.

While the 1968 RFK special move was an operational disaster for the fledgling Penn Central that included trespasser fatalities, Amtrak seems to have their VIP Movement Machine well oiled. I'm certain the various TV news outlets will have cameras trackside for video as the double headed "spit and polished" train heads Southward.

While I personally hold that it represents poor taste to name a facility for a living public figure, Sen. Lautenberg is now deceased and it can be fitting to have a true proponent of mass transportation to have the train originate at the station named for him.

Finally, regarding Gov. Christie and his "this thing is f&*^#g Golden" moment, '16 will be first and foremost. However, I would think that discussion of any such strategies should best move forth over at Open Discussion forum.

Addendum: The Newark Star Ledger reports that the funeral will be in Manhattan starting at 1130A ET. The body will be transported to the Secaucus station and placed aboard "an Amtrak train".

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/06/hillary_clinton_vp_biden_sen_m.html

I can't imagine the train leaving Secaucus (not otherwise an Amtrak station) before 230P. Presuming a 6P arrival in Wash, this will be too late to make the evening network news cycle, so first reporting of the arrival will be consigned to the cable news outlet of your choice.

I'd expect Fox to be respectful, but beyond that.........?

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman, well at least he won't have the problem Brendan Byrne had when they sold the naming rights of the Brendan Byrne arena to Continental Airlines before the man past. Amtrak seems to very good at scheduling Special political trains.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NBC News had coverage of Sen Lautenberg's body being loaded aboard an ex-SP (converted from Coach) Baggage Car.

They "cut" before the rest of the train rolled by.

Addendum:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=438880&nseq=0

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Well so much for my comment about "taking it to the bank" on Christie appointing a Dem to replace Lautenberg. He appointed a Republican, which is actually the worst of all of the choices he had. If he TRULY wanted a conservative, he would have appointed a conservative and just had him serve the remainder of Lautenberg's term. But noooo, Christie the RINO has to please his Dem friends (and the media) by having an expensive special election so that NJ can elect another Dem. Anyone who is truly pushing for their party would have appointed a conservative---this just proves he's a true RINO through and through.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
This past Tuesday, The Times ran a comprehensive article setting forth Chris' dilemma. It would appear that he hardly was of the "this thing is f#$%^ng golden" varietal - and of course he could do nicely without 14 years in the slammer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/04/us/politics/lautenbergs-death-puts-chris-christie-in-difficult-spot.html

Brief passage:

• The death of Frank R. Lautenberg on Monday has left Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey with the kind of opportunity that politicians usually covet: the chance to give away a seat in the United States Senate. But the decision is fraught with pitfalls, none bigger than having to choose between improving his party’s fortunes in Washington and furthering his own political ambitions at home.

Mr. Christie, a Republican, is up for re-election in November and hoping to secure a huge victory margin, which he could then use to accelerate his drive to present himself as a presidential candidate with broad appeal even in a blue state.

But adding a special election for the Senate seat to the ballot could put Mayor Cory A. Booker of Newark at the top of the Democratic ticket, potentially energizing more Democrats, who already outnumber Republicans in New Jersey by 700,000 registered voters, to come to the polls
OK, given that Chris has only a sacrifical lamb to worry about this November, he had to show the Republicans at national level "he did the right thing" with appointment of a Republican. That he is spending $24M on a Special Election could be an issue this November; after that....who cares? No doubt for the Special this fellow, Mayor Booker, will run and win.

Meantime, let us all wish Sen. Chiesa (R-NJ) a happy and productive seven month term.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page