RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » One month today... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: One month today...
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to the zoo at Washington Park, which is reachable by light rail, your children may enjoy a nature hike in nearby and very beautiful Forrest Park. A nice contrast to sitting on trains so long.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's a rainy day, they might enjoy Powells Books-Children. This is probably the best bookstore in the country and a top destination in Portland.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KacyB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we made it! We had a great time in. Vancouver, The trainrideacrosscanada was simply awesome and Niagara Falls has been the best :-)

Leaving for NYC tomorrow, which is the end of our trip... A few daysthereandthen home.

Via rail was brilliant and quite honestly, right now, I could stay here! This whole trip has been such acomplete adventure!

Thank you all for the help, advice and tips along the way, it's much appreciated

kacy x

Posts: 69 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would love to hear your impression and observations on the differences between Amtrak and Via when you get a chance.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on your successful adventure.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it too early to start planning your next trip?
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you're back in New York, what do you plan to do?
Catch a show at Radio City Music hHall or a Broadway play?
Walk the High Line to /from Chelsea or TriBeCa or the Meatpacking district?
Pay respects at Ground Zero?
Take in the grandeur of Grand Central Terminal?
So much to do, so little time.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Karen, it was indeed an honor to have met you and the kids (even if electronic playthings were their first priority) at Doubletree last month.

I am indeed pleased to learn that the trip has been enjoyable for all, for I had my concerns that such could be otherwise. My longest trip this year has been four nights away (six during both '11 and '12); can't think of when it has been more than ten in, say, the past thirty years.

Oh and finally to all; would you believe it that, for a four day trip to Greenwich (CT not UK) last weekend, I actually enabled TEXTING on my phone. After all, it was the only way I can communicate with my Sister's kids - and I was meeting my Niece for a Mostly Mozart at Lincoln Center.

But I shut off texting when I returned on Tuesday.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KacyB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all. GBN - it was great to meet up with you too, and I apologise again for our plans going awry.

This time in NYC, we went to the Bronx zoo, which was fab and took a boat cruise. Today (our final day - we leave for the airport this afternoon), but this morning we are off to the high line. Rather fitting that we finish up with something train related (our dinner last night was taken at grand central station which also seemed fitting)

Regarding our next adventure, who knows! Right now, I'm just enjoying this one. We have made new friends and also spent time with some very old and dear friends along the way. We have seen and done so much along the way - think it will take me a week just to download all the photos!

Amtrak certainly did us proud and The Canadian was a wonderful experience that I will never forget. Thank you to all of you who have offered advice and suggestions, not only about the trains but also our layovers along the way. All so very much appreciated

kacy x

Posts: 69 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Karen--

Oyster Bar, Michael Jordan's, or other?

Who knows, maybe I'll apply for a passport (haven't had one in twenty years; but my Niece is 'threatening' to emigrate to Australia - and I kept a valid one for emergencies all during the time my Sister resided overseas - in Barnes as I showed you on that AtoZ I brought - 70-89). Honestly, I'm not sure if I could survive the flight; maybe Business Class, but back of the bus? well maybe if someone had a .45 pointed at me. How a Flight Attendant neighbor and wonderful friend (I think I showed you a photo of her amongst the many), is able to fly overseas every week simply escapes me. My circadian cycle is so sensitive that I even notice a one hour time change going out to New York as I did two weekends ago.

If so, I'll certainly make it my business to contact you so we and your family, can have another meet up - and hopefully not with me camped out in a hotel lobby awaiting a room.

Again, so pleased to learn it has been a great trip, as I honestly had my doubts if such would be the case.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
GBN - Michael Jordan's place, at Grand Central Station. I took the elder girls there on our first day in NYC, and it was lovely so took my sister there on the last day before we returned.

We loved the HighLine - such a great perspective on the city. Very nicely done and the children loved being able to look out over the roads (without me constantly demanding we all hold hands!)

Smitty - Obviously, this is only my perception from one train crossing in each country... but my feeling is that The Canadian is more suited / more geared towards 'train tourists and / or children'. my main reasons for saying that are:
1. Restaurant cars have non-fixed chairs, which is very helpful for smaller children. The menu was more flexible and the attendants took care of filling the forms out (which we were left to do ourselves on Amtrak and, of course, messed up the first time!)
2. There are a range of carriages / sight seeing lounges / club lounges which were never full on The Canadian (whereas we often struggled to find seats on Amtrak - not that it really mattered...)
3. The attendants on The Canadian could not have been more helpful. They provided advice on where to go on the little stops we had (even if it was just walking to the front of the train... we had the VERY last sleeper on the Canadian train)... they made sure that we made the most of each and every stop.
4. The train (and staff) seemed more geared to children.... Films and activities were provided, mostly train related, but they also watched a newly released DVD, so the train was obviously up to date with newly released DVDs.

This is in no way a mark down for Amtrak, which we enjoyed immensely... but I am glad that our layovers were on the American side rather than the Canadian. The children (and I) rather 'bonded' with our sleeping compartment and the engines pulling us along in a way we didn't so much on Amtrak.

Amtrak was functional. It got us from A to B and it did what it said on the tin.... But The Canadian was a proper coast to coast adventure. All of the staff were lovely, but special thanks must go to Hadyn, who rescued a little lost T-Rex of Harry's... there was no need for him to go to such effort, but he did and it made the trip even more enjoyable... I think half of the train were hoping the T-Rex would be found!!!

(and - GBN - do look us up if / when you come to the UK... I know our address wasn't on the A-Z you had, but we honestly aren't that far out of London... Only 30 miles or so!)

Kacy x

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, I forget if you like Tchaikovsky or not, but I know you like classical concerts. Here's a little something to whet your appetite for a trip across the pond to see the LSO (and Kacy):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxj8vSS2ELU

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page