RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pictures from my Amtrak trip to Seattle

Author Topic: Pictures from my Amtrak trip to Seattle
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Passing over the Pecos River in West Texas:
 -

Passing by Ventura (according to Smitty):
 -

Nice shot of Mt Shasta and the Silver Iris on the back of the CS.

-

King Street Station:

-

-

And Portland:

-

-

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And my room, D in the 1432 car.

-

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice photos, Mike!

I am curious about the pic of Mt. Shasta..considering how early the CS goes by Shasta, northbound, and how late, southbound. If you took the picture, northbound, I would assume the train was somewhat late northbound?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Correct, but it made up all it's time into Seattle.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to acknowledge the renovation of King Street certainly looks attractive; just one more example showing rail travel is here to stay. When I first laid eyes on the structure during June 1962, it had already been "modernized". Union Station was still intact even if it was in need of a "facelift" (the MILW was gone - all that was left was the UP Sea-Ptld "pool" train).

Judging from all those visible electronic playthings in your room, Mr. Smith, was somebody having an EKG, or what?

And finally, did you have to pass through US Immigration and Customs when you left "The
Republic" at El Paso? [Razz] [Big Grin]

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

Judging from all those visible electronic playthings in your room, Mr. Smith, was somebody having an EKG, or what?

I thought he was hosting an NSA convention in that room!

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Well, I do need my GPS, camera, laptop, and phone devises, with all the associated chargers...

And yes, ICE did come aboard in El Paso to inspect the passengers...

And I'm sure NSA has a decent portfolio on me. I'm searching for an app that keeps track of NSA intrusions into my personal business & phone conversations.

Don't forget to check out my White Pass train trip pictures under Tourist Railways.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the pictures, especially of King Street Station. Sadly, we'll be missing it on our September Coast Starlight trip. We'll be getting off in Tacoma, the site of my Peace Corps Reunion.

Frank in overcast, cool and drizzly SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seattle's King Street Station looks stunning..... everything is so shiny..... and I couldn't help notice the woman looking up to take it all in in one of your photos.

Can't wait to see it when I pass through just two weeks from tomorrow..... the penultimate leg of one of two big trips I have on tap this summer.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Contrasted to the first time I was in Seattle in 1989...... with that drop-ceiling from the 1960's renovation I thought I had taken a wrong turn off the Pioneer and staggered into the Greyhound Depot by accident.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page