RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Southwest Chief - PTJ issue 254

Author Topic: Southwest Chief - PTJ issue 254
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The #254 issue of Passenger Train Journal has an extensive article on the SW Chief, entitled "Its The Money, Not The Sentiment", by C.B. Hall.

Whether the Chief maintains the present Newton-La Junta-Raton Pass or converts to the Transcon is delved into with many pros and cons.

BNSF has estimated the cost for upgrading the present route at $100 million, with ongoing maintenance of $10 million yearly. Apparently BNSF has not turned over specifics for the SW Chief if they opt for Transcon (Newton-Wichita-Amarillo-Albuquerque). Amtrak's midwest director suggested that if they continue the present route, the 3 states (Kansas, Colorado, & New Mexico) could provide upgrade money and Amtrak and BNSF could split the $10 million yearly cost.

Fred Fraily apparently likes Transcon and suggests working the best deal possible.. but acknowledges the price could approach $100 million.

The article points out, if they chose Transcon, the two ridership cities most impacted would be Wichita and Amarillo. However, the train would most likely get into Wichita at the wee hours and, thus, Amarillo would be the greatest gain in potential ridership for the new route. There is also discussion about the possiblity, if Transcon, to have the Heartland Flyer hook up with the Chief in Wichita, but they do point out difficulties with that idea.

I guess the worst possiblity would be that the Chief is ditched, entirely. Thus, I have a question: If the SW Chief goes belly-up, would there be any possibility in having the Calif. Zephyr split, much like the Empire Builder. Perhaps split up at Denver-Trinidad and have a leg into Los Angeles with the other half along the present route to the Bay Area? What about a split at Salt Lake, City?

Well, personally, I would like to see them, somehow, keep the Chief and its present route.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A split at Denver, Salt Lake City or anywhere else would also result in a passenger train on a new route which would not be free. Any of these would also result in a slower end to end time for the fastest long distance train in the system, and sounds like also losing Kansas City service which would not be good.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found myself pulling out a 1965 OGR and checking the schedule of the San Francisco Chief (SFC) that took the southerly route being discussed. A comparison of that with present day Amtrak SWC is interesting. SFC made 42 stops (including flag stops) between KC and Barstow (where it split from the LA line to head north). The SWC makes only 18 between those two points. But the running time was about the same, presumably because the SFC was often running 90+mph. The SFC took a flat 36 hours. The SWC takes 36'40". Mileage is almost dead even: 2109 on Amtrak, 2097 via SFC on the southern route.

I suspect OTP would be better on the southern route. I recall a BNSF president was quoted a few years ago as saying, it's a lot easier to move a train on the double track Transcon where it is just slotted in between Intermodal trains.

So, what's not to like about the change? Aside from the small communities in western KS and CO that would lose service, the scenery would be a big loss for us all. But as a business decision, it seems a no brainer. The only financial downside with the change is the one time station fix up costs. I've never heard the BNSF say they need captial improvements on the track to accommodate the train (unlike the UP). Probably because it's hard to get a much better railroad then this line.

Based on this article it looks like Wichita is ready for Amtrak. Apparently the Amarillo Santa Fe station is still standing. It appears to be in good shape and used as some kind of auction house.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how much of the Newton-Belen transcon would be 90mph for passenger trains? If I am going to settle for less scenery, at least I could enjoy going fast.

There is one downside I experienced at night on the transcon. If you just happen to meet an oncoming freight at exactly the moment its horn toots a few feet outside your bedroom window, you don't sleep through it.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TwinStar, I do not think ATS exists on the Transcon between Belen and Newton as there would be no reason for BNSF have it and maintain it for freight operations which are limited to 70 MPH. Automatic Train Stop does exist in some locations between Dalies,(10 miles west from Belen) and Barstow where the SWC now operates.
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. China--

I safely presume you're OK; hopefully same applies to your property, be it real or personal.

GBN

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Home and personal property fine here, 35 air miles from the Yarnell fire.

Emotionally we in this small city are grieving for the eighteen members of the Prescott Fire Department who lost their lives. But we are of perservering heritage and shall carry one, just as our firefighters would wish.

The 4th of July Frontier Days has traditionally (more than 125 years) been our major event with the Worlds Oldest Rodeo. It will be more special this time as some of those we lost were participants. Thanks GBN and others who have expressed concern and condolences.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page