RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Alaska Ferry to Amtrak at Bellingham WA

Author Topic: Alaska Ferry to Amtrak at Bellingham WA
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm woodshedding a Chicago-Seattle-Vancouver-Jasper-Prince Rupert-Bellingham-Seattle-Chicago trip in early September of 2014, and note that the southbound Alaska ferry from Prince Rupert (or Ketchikan) reaches Bellingham at 8 a.m. The morning train from Bellingham to Seattle departs at 8:45 a.m.

Anyone know if that is a reliable connection? (I understand the Amtrak station is right next to the ferry terminal.) If not, I presume there is bus service from Bellingham to Seattle.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a wonderful itinerary. I hope that you have time in Jasper to take 1) the Maligne tour and 2) the incredibly scenic drive from Jasper to Banff and Lake Louise, which can be done roundtrip in one day (but better at least two).

This is not a perfect world. Why add tension to your trip by depending solely on an uncertain connection? Based on your itinerary you will already have enjoyed the scenic train trip along Puget Sound.

I would book Amtrak 8:45 (if it does depart from adjacent to the Alaska Marine Highway pier), but because the next Amtrak departure (thruway bus) may not be until mid-afternoon also buy an earlier Greyhound ticket (which may be at 10:40 a.m.--I don't know your date of travel) at its current $9.00 web fare. That's a really cheap insurance policy. Moreover, I would not book onward transportation from Seattle that same day, unless my Amtrak fare did not allow a stop in Seattle.

When traveling, you will have far fewer problems if you pad your itineraries. Think about those who book 30 minute connections at airline hubs like Chicago O'Hare. What are they thinking?

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don, I think you're right -- overnighting in Seattle and enjoying the city for a day would be the sensible thing to do. I've been there several times and there is always something new to see and do.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few years ago we took the Seattle to Vancouver train. I remember gazing at the ferry terminal in Bellingham, just a short walk from the station stop, and thinking that would be a fun trip.

For what it's worth, if you have the option, we were lucky to get just a brief overnight ride (more like middle of the night) from Skagway to Juneau on the Alaska Ferry's 'Columbia'. A few years ago they though about retiring it, but fixed it up instead. It's great. Big lounges where National Park people talked about the sights, nice staterooms (even bigger than Amtrak roomette!) and best of all it's their only ship with a sit down restaurant.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't find any info about the OTP of the Alaska ferry, but if you miss the 845am train there are numerous alternative ways to get from Bellingham to Seattle, including the 749pm Cascades train. There are 4 daily Greyhound trips that leave from the Amtrak station and even local transit buses (requiring a couple of transfers, if you've packed lightly) that make the trip. If you are planning a same day connection to the Empire Builder it isn't necessary to backtrack all the way to Seattle. Edmonds and Everett are both served by the Cascades and the Empire Builder. There's an Ambus from B'ham at 330pm that's timed to meet the Empire Builder in Everett.

The Everett station is very nice, but it's remotely located far from Everett's few charms. So it would be a great idea to minimize the amount of time spent waiting in Everett. The Edmonds Amtrak station, however, is located on the waterfront, near shopping, dining and the ferry terminal. A round trip on the Edmonds-Kingston ferry takes about 90 minutes (if you need more seafaring). A few hours in Edmonds won't be the highlight of your trip, but they could be very pleasantly spent.

The Bellingham Amtrak station has frequent transit service to downtown or Western Washington University and its collection of outdoor sculptures. The Fairhaven district (where the train stops) is accustomed to serving travelers with a few hours to while away. The time spent in B'ham--like Edmonds--won't be the highlight of your trip, but you won't be stuck in a forlorn train station tapping your toes, staring at the wall or reading local newspapers and travel brochures.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, here's a map of the Amtrak station vis-a-vis the ferry one:

http://ow.ly/mXc1W

Would be hard to get more convenient that! Have a great trip.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip, Henry. But what do you mean by woodshedding?

I have wanted to do something like the same trip, though maybe go from Prince Rupert by ferry to that place in the north of Vancouver Island and catch bus south to where you can catch a train at Nanaino and ferry to Vancouver BC. At least, used to be able to!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BC Ferries still runs a ship between Prince Rupert and Port Hardy on Vancouver Island. During the summer months it's a daylight schedule and usually runs every other day. During the other months it's an overnight trip and runs about once a week--plan carefully! There are bus connections that meet the ferry and carry passengers to Nanaimo or Victoria. If your plan is to continue on to the city of Vancouver, catch your connecting ferry at Nanaimo. ViaRail's RDC train no longer runs on Vancouver Island.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On our Victoria visit last month, there was talk that rail service could still be resumed. While the money appears to be there, this article indicates VIA is now the problem. Sound familiar? Sadly the nice little station in Victoria is gone, the victim of progress - a new highway bridge.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
I wrote about BC Ferries MV Northern Expedition from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert. Incredible scenery and great ship.
Note though as Vincent206 mentions that you must plan this trip very carefully.

http://www.bidontravel.com/blog/travel/northern-expedition-review/

I am always hesitant about posting anything I write for a commercial website, but I have no financial interest in any of the topics mentioned in this article.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Travel section of this past Sunday's New York Times has an interesting and informative article regarding travel on the m/v Columbia's Lower 48-Alaska sailings:

Uncruising

Ouch; it certainly seems that by comparasion, Amtrak Coach could be considered habitable. At least there, when you buy a ticket, you got a seat; doesn't appear to be the case with the AMH ferries. Since the foredeck appears off limits to passengers, the term 'steerage class' hasn't died.

Here's a photo of the m/v Columbia under way:

http://www.alaskacruisingreport.com/img/Columbia.jpg

All told, I am reminded of various 1950's vintage proposals for 'rock bottom' Trans Atlantic passages. These proposals called for a-la-carte food service, and hostel style 'racks' where the student travelers would unroll their sleeping bags.

Of course today, the m/v Maasdam and m/v Ryndam are simply recycled names for Carnival's Holland America brand, the s/s/ Massdam and s/s Ryndam were 'econoships', but not to that level (I once toured the Ryndam when she was docked in Hoboken):

m/v Ryndam

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Interesting article, GBN. Our passage on the Columbia was outstanding, if short. The highlights for us were: National Park lectures in the lounge, the full service dining room, the transportation aspect of loading and unloading people and vehicles with all manner of cargo, and our cozy cabin. Luxurious it was not but a great way to see Alaska and feel like you were part of something that serves a vital purpose for the remote areas of that state.

Funny you should mention the Ryndam and Massdam. On the original version of those ships, my brother worked for his passage to Europe on the Massdam (complete with knife fights by the mostly German crew in the bowels of the ship).

My spouse had a 'Semester at Sea' on th e Ryndam sponsored by Chapman college in CA. It did a complete global circuit that offered many outstanding shore excursions including private audiences with government leaders as well as the Pope. In those days (mid 60's) visiting student Americans were something of novelty and welcomed with open arms by the various countries, especially in developing areas.

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Sounds like a great trip, Henry. But what do you mean by woodshedding?

I have wanted to do something like the same trip, though maybe go from Prince Rupert by ferry to that place in the north of Vancouver Island and catch bus south to where you can catch a train at Nanaino and ferry to Vancouver BC. At least, used to be able to!

I'll conjecture that Henry means 'woodshedding' in the musicians' sense...... taking something not ready for performance 'out to the woodshed' to practice. To work the kinks out. To come up with a product suitable for public performance or, in this case, an itinerary worthy of execution.

As for Vancouver Island...... I had the happy opportunity to ride the RDC's from Victoria to Nanaimo in 2004. As much fun as that was, the ferry ride from and to Vancouver was perhaps the most-spectacular couple of hours of sightseeing I have ever done. Anything involving a water excursion and the Pacific Northwest is worthy of woodshedding an itinerary in my opinion!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From this article in today's New York Times, it appears that the Volstead Act is now in force along the Alaska Marine Highway:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/13/travel/alaska-marine-highway-ferry.html

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
The Alaska ferries are closing the on-board bars due to high labor costs. Sounds a lot like what Amtrak's critics would like to see happen with the LD trains diners. We'll see if this actually saves money or ends up costing revenue in the long run.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Hard to believe a bar can't make money - especially in hard drinking Alaska. Hope they still serve wine at dinner on the Columbia.

Perhaps Ed Ellis should go in the maritime business!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page