RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Train Web loading slow

Author Topic: Train Web loading slow
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For several days now, each time I log in to Train Web, it is very very slow loading and I am getting a message saying that a "script" is running which slows down my computer. I always click to stop running the script, but it comes right back up next time I log in. Does anyone know how I can get rid of it permanently?

I had my computer "system cleaned" at a computer shop about a month ago, but I think they made things worse, since my computer is now doing some other funny things too.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to wonder if there is a correlation with the latest intrusion that has found its way on to my system and that is OpenApp Media.

It appears to be a legitimate concern, but it simply invasive and intrusive.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe (but am not positive) that a script error message is an issue on your end--not the server's end. Are you on a Mac? If so, empty the cache, clear the history, and restart your computer. Now see if it's better...
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately crapware/bundleware is on the rise. It seems I cannot live without Flash (too may websites that I need to use use it), yet that keeps trying to install McAfee. The wife downloads stuff that has toolbars attached and it's not obvious that such bundleware is being attached. In fact, often, the program being downloaded is just a face for what is really being downloaded - the nasty toolbar or whatever that dives into your computer and "phones home" with whatever personal information it is allowed to find, unbeknownst to the user. And these pieces of software do not necessarily fall into the malware category so SpyBot Search & Destroy, amongst others, will not necessarily report it.

I would go through your browsers extensions and turn off / uninstall anything that you're not familiar with and/or do not need. My browser is virtually bare bones (apart from that nasty Flash) and I do just fine, thank you very much!

OpenApp Media - quick Google suggests "malware". Problems reported with uninstalling put it firmly into that category as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW: If anyone owns a Mac, you have probably been seeing nonstop pop-ups for "MacKeeper". They make it sound "official", as if it's something you really need. FYI, I have a little side-business helping people with their Apple products, and MacKeeper has done nothing but mess up their computers----VERY badly. I would stay miles and miles away from that program.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the warning Smitty. I have an ad blocker on my Mac and would be automatically suspicious of any ads.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's happening on my work computer the way RRRich describes it. It's an old HP Compaq running an old version of Windows. I had thought it was just a problem with this computer; I don't have this problem on my smart phone or my tablet.
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem with it loading very quickly on my MacBook Pro tonight. I'll try the desktop tomorrow.

Frank in dark but still warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone! This AM when I opened Train Web, I did NOT get the error...........

Must be ghosts in my computer or something.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page