RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Pop-Ups

Author Topic: Pop-Ups
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been getting annoying pop-up boxes when I pick a thread on the Rail Forum.

The first one says "message from webpage", the 2nd says "initializing icon", and the 3rd box says "2nd JS Appended". I have to keep clicking the little boxes, over and over, to make them disappear. I don't have this problem with other forums. Any idea on how to get rid of the pop-ups?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You didn't specific whether you are Mac or Windows ("I don't do Windows"). But if it's Mac, I have several suggestions. Let me know if I can help....
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a PC, Smitty, Windows 7.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With Win XP, I too have been invaded by pop-ups from 'after market' ad sources. This is not only here, but another rail discussion site as well as my two newspapers, Times and Journal (Nice; they haven't invaded my accounts with Schwab).

It seems as if my troubles started when reviewing several Canadian newspaper sites for reports regarding Megantic. Suddenly, something started downloading and that is where I am today.

I'm just going to pay the $100 and get Geek Squad over here; these things, while none really lewd and only a few that I consider poor taste, are really annoying. Why anyone would buy something from them escapes me, but somebody must.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I first logon to Trainweb, I am getting a message from my Norton antivirus saying it just blocked a malware attack. Just started lately.

My hotmail account has also been hacked twice in a week.

Firefox seems to do a better job of blocking pop-ups than Internet Explorer.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm -- when I log on to Train Web, I have been getting messages saying something about "cross-scripting" and that my computer did something to prevent that, but I did not get the message today.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stopped using I.E. long time ago. Too many holes that lead to security breaches. I recommend Safari, Firefox or Chrome. Also if you look around you can find ad and popup blockers for cheap and even free.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my third visit in two days (Firefox; Win7) but no pop-ups. Sometimes it can be due to a genuine ad service like Google but a rogue individual ad that somehow escaped detection.

Malwarebytes AntiMalware is a good first attack. But note that that pop-ups do not necessarily come under the "malware" banner despite what the majority might think.

Edited to add: I don't use any 3rd party ad pop-up blocker software, just Firefox's inbuilt pop-up blocker.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adblock might work. I have that as an add-on to Chrome and see no popups at all.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is one source from which I get spammed here at the site:

http://www.openappmedia.com/ad-information.html

Aren't they nice; they tell you how to kill them; however good luck finding their web link at add/remove programs.

Here's another:

http://www.friendschecker.com/about-intext-ads.html

They'll let you disable them so long as you are on a page. Move away and it's "Hi".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No pop-ups here, with Adblock Plus.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Here is one source from which I get spammed here at the site:

http://www.openappmedia.com/ad-information.html

Aren't they nice; they tell you how to kill them; however good luck finding their web link at add/remove programs.

Here's another:

http://www.friendschecker.com/about-intext-ads.html

They'll let you disable them so long as you are on a page. Move away and it's "Hi".

That sounds like you've inadvertently downloaded a toolbar or something which includes advertising. You have to uninstall the "host" software to get rid of the bundlecrapware.

Sure, they need to make money, but not by popping-up all over your screen on a page that's not even related.

A general comment, not directed at anybody: don't install toolbars. You don't need them and they have a bad rep for taking an interest in what you're typing (hello bank account login details), not just your personal browsing habits for directed advertising.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I think my problem with pop-ups has disappeared, at least for now. I didn't do anything to fix the problem so I don't know why they're gone.

Well, what other problems can the forum folk help me out with? Anyone have a problem with foxes in their backyard? I have spotted 5-6 foxes this past week. I think they have been living under my backyard deck.

Richard

Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem with foxes here, but they just last week caught a young bear that had been wandering around the neighborhood. He was finally trapped and released far away in the forest.
And I've not had pop up ad problems, either. I'm using the computer at work which has a pop up blocker. Never noticed them.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have foxes under your backyard deck? Lucky fellow. They don't do harm, do they? (Unless you keep chickens.)

Try wolf urine granules. Most canids hate wolves and will skedaddle if they think wolves are in the neighborhood.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ira Slotkin
Member # 81

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ira Slotkin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Bobcat "pop-up", I'd be trying
Or tiger urine would help defying
Them little critters access to
The space that's sitting under you.

Moth balls are another scent
which may encourage them to went
away, to stalk and neighborhoods to roam
and make their lair another's home.

But this threasd does not connect
To Amtrak (not that I detect),
So rather than with rhyne extend it
Here is where I'm gonna end it.

Doesn't good poetry give you shivers...

Ira

Posts: 300 | From: Denver, CO USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Ira - you are the Goethe of the Rail Forum.

Henry - I had a local animal abatement group come in the other day. They installed a one-way, spring loaded trap door over the fox's burrowing hole, just under my back deck. The fox(s) could get out from under the deck but not back in.

Then, as you suggested, they spread Mountain Lion excrement and excrement from a fox species known is a predator for other foxes, around the backyard. I haven't seen a single fox since. I think the cougar crap got to them. I probably could have prevented the problem with a backyard dog, but I don't own a dog. Hopefully the foxes will not return. I am most bothered by the fact that foxes can become rabid.

Richard

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ira, always good to hear from you.

Here in the city we only have skunks, possums, raccoons, tree rats and squirrels. I enjoy Henry's rural animals, the deer and all. And the summer storm he has now is terrific.

Although Amtrak is lost in this thread at least it started out as Amtrak Forum related. No pop ups for me with my Win7 IE system.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Any foolproof methods for mole "pop-ups"? There are also rabbits but I think the holes are mole-sized rather than rabbit-sized. Electronic mole noise irritator useless. We have a toddler so droppings and bait are out of the question lest she do a taste test on them.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forwarded the concerns about the pop-up ads and received the following from Shivam.
He suggests downloading the following software and installing it
http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware.php

He also sent another link to a site about browser settings that might help.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100327171553AA3p36C

I don't know, I'm the least technical person out there.
Geoff M. seems to understand the problem and his suggestions appear to have helped some.

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page