RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » I Was Right!

Author Topic: I Was Right!
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here I am at 4,000 posts and no revenue passenger has yet boarded a Wisconsin Talgo!

I'll be changing my tag line now!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 2933

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moderator   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!!
We've all benefited at this forum, from those 4,000 posts.

Posts: 169 | From: Northwest Wisconsin | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, David, on the 4,000th.

I hope, in the near future, to be riding a Wisconsin Talgo, in Oregon:

http://www.talgoamerica.com/pdf/Press_Oregon.pdf

Sure hoping for a Portland to Eugene train at more reasonable hours.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was hoping to take a trip on a Wisconsin-built Talgo before Mr. Pressley reached 4000 posts, but it looks like he beat me to it--congratulations! I don't know if the Wisconsin-built trains have entered revenue service yet, but I'll be watching for them at King Street Station.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CG96
Member # 1408

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for CG96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations (sort of). You beat me to your goal. Here's to hoping I'll see train service back through Madison in my lifetime.

--------------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one corner of the Earth all one's life."

Posts: 506 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CG96:
Congratulations (sort of). You beat me to your goal. Here's to hoping I'll see train service back through Madison in my lifetime.

During my 'younger days' in the 1990's and early 2000's I volunteered with both the Colts and Madison Scouts Drum and Bugle Corps.

As such, I had need every summer (and still go back for visits from time to time..... most recently this past July) to travel to either Dubuque, IA or Madison if not both.

I used a number of convoluted travel arrangements over the years before finally settling in to flying or Amtrak to Milwaukee and the Badger Coach over to Madison. It worked BUT I am firmly convinced that there is no city in the United States better poised to take full advantage of rail passenger service than Madison, WI. Given 3 or 4 daily departures to Milwaukee, the Milwaukee Airport station, and Chicago and the educated, progressive, green-minded populace of Madison would have filled those Talgos up.

I will continue visiting that area of the country for drum corps events and reunions and I will always try to work an Amtrak ride into my travel plans...... though it looks now like the odds are better that my Amtrak destination will be Dubuque before Madison.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where and when was the last passenger train in Madison? My Google skills are not up to much this morning, it seems! The only reference I can find is to a Sioux train that run up until A-day in 1971 (and this forum doesn't like parenthesis in URLs so I can't link to it - search Wikipedia). Whereabouts in Madison would that have stopped? Is there still a depot there?

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, for starters, here is the former MILW Madison station in its present day format as a restaurant:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84263554@N00/440290304/

'The Sioux' did survive until A-Day; a companion daylight train, 'The Varsity', did not fare so well.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I'm guessing that that E-unit and the stainless steel coach are 'part of the atmosphere' for the restaurant?

--------------------
David Pressley

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Absolutely correct, Mr. Presley.

The only single level stainless cars ever owned by the MILW were five 'Pacific--' 10-6 Sleepers that they acquired from UP during June 1969. This transaction hardly represented any optimism regarding passenger trains, but rather a 'payoff' from UP to MILW for an imbalance of car-miles arising from The Pullman Company's folding.

Those cars never went to Amtrak; instead they went 'South of the Border'.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KacyB
Member # 52680

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KacyB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on your 4000th post, NotElvis :-)
Posts: 69 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Thanks Ms. Karen.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page