RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » This is NOT Going to Happen (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: This is NOT Going to Happen
railrev
Member # 2640

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for railrev     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting idea! The "Inland Starlight"! Was there ever a train that did this, ie LA to PDX/SEA via SLC?

In 1960, my family wanted to travel from Los Angeles to Pendleton, Oregon. The Southern Pacific offered no family fare discount on the coastal routes, so we traveled UP eastbound from Los Angeles to Green River, Wyoming on the Challenger and then changed to the City of Portland westbound to Pendleton. It was a 3-4 hour layover as I recall and it was a train watching paradise for me as a 14 year old, streamliners and freight trains every few minutes.

--------------------
Railrev
Escondido, CA

Posts: 99 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SP 'West Coast':

http://lariverrailroads.com/west_coast.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_train

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@ Mr. Norman Thank you. Wasn't familiar with http://lariverrailroads.com

@railrev My dream train--and I know it isn't gonna happen as part of Amtrak--would be an all BNSF/BNSF traffic rights train either from Emeryville or LAX to Portland via the Feather River Canyon, Bend OR, Columbia River Gorge, etc.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also the Owl...
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression the "Owl" train was Oakland to LA..but I'm not sure.

I want to bring back the Nightcrawler, Denver to Billings.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was, but it took the Inland route.

The Coaster was the 2d NIGHT train on the Coast Route, after the Lark. Then came the mail train.

Ryan and Shine, SP Passenger Trains, v1: Night Trains of the Coast Route... Great work.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:

I was under the impression the "Owl" train was Oakland to LA..but I'm not sure.

And us "right coast" guys (Gil?) were undet the impression that the "Owl" was a sleeper-only run on the New Haven, NY (GCT) to Boston (So. Station).
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several train names got used in more than one place. There was Southern's Southerner, their premier train, initially a coach only streamliner. Missouri Pacific also had a Southerner in the 50's to early 60's which was a secondary train on the St. Louis to Texas route.
Posts: 2810 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page