RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My trip on Amtrak WSS to FUL

Author Topic: My trip on Amtrak WSS to FUL
Dave Van
Member # 93903

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Van   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!!!
I recently returned from a trip from White Sulfur Springs West Virginia, home of The Greenbrier, to Fullerton California, last stop before LAX Union station. This was my second time in two years. The trip West was an A- but the trip back a C-....still my favorite, and only way, I travel. The link has my travel log and hundreds of photos. There is other non Amtrak stuff....but stories of Orange Empire and MertoLink trips too. Thanks
Link to my trips and photos....click on test or photo.....  -

Posts: 15 | From: Hills of West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, a photograph of one of my favorite buildings in the country.

Years ago I used to bang away at an old Royal typewriter in a tiny cubbyhole office in the innards of LAUPT. Ah well anyway thanks for posting Dave and let me be the first to welcome you to the Rail Forum. I'll check your link now.

RR Bob

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Curry (you're 'out' over at your 'Puddy Tat' page), when I first opened your trip report, I thought 'Coach to Cali?; oh God'.

Fortunately you 'saw the light' for most of the journey aboard the Chief. Hopefully, Miss Roslyn (also out at the 'Puddy Tats') will choose to accompany next trip and that you will choose to book a Bedroom 'all the way' - including The Cardinal.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave - great travel log you have posted there!

The descriptions/analysis of Disneyland were spot on; I'm a Disney buff from WAY back. My first trip was in '57 @ 5 years old. My dad shook hands with Walt himself, who was strolling Main St. greeting the patrons!

Too bad you missed "Flying California" which is a fun and spectacular ride. But maybe next time...

I'm glad the Amtrak part of your trip went well for the most part, too.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave:
Welcome to TrainWeb!

I read your entire trip report and really enjoyed it. That 1934 pick-up must really be a beauty! (And I'm not into cars at all.) But your description of your ride in the '49 Hudson was awesome -- made me want to take a ride in it, too -- and in the back!

You are very fortunate to have such a good friend. Friends like that are quite rare and precious. It is too bad that you two live so far away from each other, but at least you have someone to look forward to seeing the next time you go out to SoCal.

Amtrak is famously unpredictable -- the result of longstanding poor management. Some employees are good, some are bad. And lately Amtrak locomotives have been breaking down with alarming frequency.

Please share more travel stories with us, when you have some.

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice trip report and pictures. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

I was near you Labor Day Weekend...... drove through WSS on our way to Cass where we rode the trains at Cass and Durbin.

If I were abundantly wealthy and had infinite an infinite supply of disposable dollars, I would like to buy and restore the Las Vegas, NM Harvey House. I'm not sure what I would do with it but I am sure that this is something that ought to be done!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page