RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » See? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: See?
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever anyone asks him a valid, honest question----it just "poof" disappears.

Imagine this, if you will.....Guenzler is invited to be on the "Today" show to talk about his rail travels. What is one of the first questions that Matt Lauer would ask him? "Tell us Chris, how do you afford to take all of these trips??". It's a natural question, and if you open yourself up for questions, a respectful answer should be in order.

Oh well, some things never change.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's my biggest dislike about this forum - the ability for the OP to just yank anything (s)he doesn't like, along with all the subsequent posts. It's a big insult and incredibly rude to those who have taken the time to craft careful and informative responses.

Regarding Chris, one thing that struck me was that his travelogue goes back to the 1980s I think, which - if my arithmetic is correct - works out to around 800 miles per week. Somebody clearly has a lot more free time than me!

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's an incredible amount of time to be on the rails. I wonder what an average Amtrak engineer's annual mileage is in comparison?

(Unless I'm mistaken, I think he puts a lot of mileage down riding back and forth on the Surfliners quite often to build up mileage).

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ColdRain&Snow
Member # 15381

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColdRain&Snow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm lost. What happened?
Posts: 46 | From: Playa Del Rey, CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ChrisG is going on some show (I think) and wanted to know what questions he could be asked. Somebody asked how his trips were funded, or what it cost per mile. A few posts later about how it's never divulged, then Chris saying he doesn't remember anyway, then *poof*, the whole thread self destructs.

I did wonder about commuting but that's still 80 miles per day each way. That's Fullerton to Solana Beach on the Surfliners, let's say 90 minutes each way per day, 5 days a week. Quite the commute, though I know many do exactly that and more.

So maybe that should be one of the questions!

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I don't think he rides the Surfliners for commuting purposes, I think he rides them just to get the mileage. And to ride a train, to me, that sorta takes away the "excitement" of the whole deal if you're just riding up and down the coast for mileage runs. There is a guy over on another rail website who goes by the screen name of "ptolmey" whom, I believe, has more miles than Chris. But those are all real, travel miles---going somewhere (business and vacation combined, but mostly business). Many of his miles are not in the USA, however, so it's not all Amtrak miles, but a combo throughout the world.
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

I'm just grateful to get on a train these days! I don't even record the long distance trips any more. I used to record both that and flights taken but once the latter exceeded about 120 I lost interest. However, I still try to find less common planes (for me) or airports like LAX-MSN via DEN instead of ORD as is usual for me.

But I do still wonder how he finds the time to rack up so many miles!

--------------------
Geoff M.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I hold contrary views regarding the likely consensus here on so-called 'free speech', and the prerogative given by the site owner to a topic originator over control of his material and the responses it generates.

For myself, I have never known what 'free speech' is all about, but then I'm not, say, a journalist who makes marks by discovering and disclosing material that is inimical to the interests of certain parties. All told, in common with many, if not most, here, to disclose anything to which I have become privy would result in exposure to civil liability and/or criminal prosecution. Matters relating to Mr. Guenzler's financial affairs, to which I have no knowledge whatever, falls under the scope of privity.

Assange and Snowden should be apprehended and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law as was Manning. Of course some here call them heroes.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Guenzler has sought and achieved celebrity. He is a public figure as the most-traveled Amtrak rider. There are consequences to public fame. Just ask Mitt Romney.

Hence it is perfectly legitimate, in my view (and that of the law) to wonder and ask how Mr. Guenzler finances his travels. Does he get freebies from Amtrak and other carriers? Is a family fortune the source? Donations from friends and admirers? A rich friend? The swag from a bank robbery?

He is perfectly within his rights not to answer. Whether that is a good idea, given who he is and what he does, is another question. Just ask Mitt Romney.

Smitty and others are perfectly within their rights to ask.

While I regret that Mr. Guenzler exercised the nuclear option with the pertinent thread, he was within his rights to do so. I myself have done that when ugly racism and nativism hijacked a thread I started.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:

Matters relating to Mr. Guenzler's financial affairs, to which I have no knowledge whatever, falls under the scope of privity.

We're not looking for his last 10 years' tax returns, only the answer to the simple question, "what were his total out-of-pocket expenses and per mile expenses" during his million mile ride, which I posed. I know it costs me, riding coach, in the neighborhood of $.10 - $.15 per mile on Amtrak LD, so the man has to have shelled out six figures by now.

I think he went nuclear right after I asked him if he was "a shill for Amtrak."

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of my Amtrak travel is financed by:
1. AGR points.
2. Charging to my AGR card when the fare is cheap.
3. Travelling when I get extra AGR points.

I charge everything I can to my AGR card and pay the balance every month. Sometimes I buy points when there is a deal. But I never keep track of any of it. Maybe Chris doesn't either.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After I had posted and Smitty reposted some else posted FU Smitty so I deleted the post not waiting for the moderator to do that.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, if you're willing to re-engage, the answers to my two questions are:

1. For the enjoyment and
2. Classified.

Do I have that right?

Another question I would like answered is the following:

What do the Amtrak employees and crew members think of your accomplishments, and have you made any friends among them through these trips?

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I ride trains because I have always liked the experience of meeting new people, seeing new things and places and riding over new trackage where ever I can find them.

2. Classfied yes I am a Classfild employee of Santa Ana Unified school District.

3. Amtrak employees are very impressive with what I have done and some crew members have announced that I am on their long distance trains at times. On the Surfline I have made plenty of friends among LSA, Conductors and Business Class attendants plus Sleeping Car and Dining Car staffs on trains.

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Out of compassion, forbearance and the spirit of the season maybe we ought to let this thread peter out.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Well darn, I would like to know who told me to FU. Too bad they didn't send it in a private message. I would have liked to have asked them what exactly they meant by that. Some people just might need to get out a bit more often....

And sorry GBN, but I read your comments three times and I could not understand what you were saying. Sometimes, your writing style is what I would call "unique", and this definitely fits that description. Luckily, others seemed to understand and were able to respond----enabling me to figure out what it is that you wrote. At any rate, nah, what I was asking was not a national secret (or personal secret)--it was just a legitimate question based upon the OP saying, "Ask me questions", and that one is perfectly legit. We're all curious, no? So why not ask? As in my "Today Show" example, I thought that explained it beautifully.

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Guenzler's always interesting web pages
http://www.trainweb.org/chris/
tell much about the extent of his travels.

There's no financial statement though. [Smile]

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

The amusing thing is the old thread would probably have died a quicker death. Instead, deleting it has clearly caused more speculation and questioning. This thread has certainly had more responses than I remember the old thread having.

What's more I don't even see what the problem was! Was that question highly embarrassing for some reason? Were we about to expose a major incident had the lids not been kept on? (I write with jest and amusement) What nefarious secrets hide behind his travelogues?

Popcorn anyone?

--------------------
Geoff M.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ROTFLMAO! Right on, Geoff!

I think when people ask how I'm able to cruise and fly so much I'll just say "Remember John Beresford Tipton?". He was very good to me. (The real answer, miles, pass privileges and a very nice pension that I hope I can keep for the rest of my life!)

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
I will answer the money question on the Lets Talk Trains show this Saturday.

So tune in and listen to it.

Chris

Any more questions please.

jimhudson
Member # 94951

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimhudson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That ought to Settle the Question Once and for All Chris!
Posts: 5 | From: Austin, Tx | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Great! We will be tuned in.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Does someone have a link that takes us directly to that particular program? I think it's called Blog Talk Radio, but I'm not sure how to find that specific show. Thanks.

Edit: I think this might be it:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/letstalktrains/2013/12/07/ask-the-amazing-chris-guenzler-any-railroad-related-question-you-want

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Thanks for the link, smitty. I'll be listening at 1:00 tomorrow in between watching the horse races on-line and on tv. Fortunately, it doesn't interfere with PBS' "Car Talk," a Saturday ritual with me now at 10:00.

Who knows, maybe Chris will give me a shoutout as "Ocala Mike"; after all, I did give him some good questions for discussion, I thought.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fellow members, lest we not forget that while the US Constitution DELINEATES specific rights, such as freedom of speech, to any person on sovereign soil, that document does not provide any protection whatever from the CONSEQUENCES of exercising that right.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Presuming 10:00 means EST?

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

10am PT / 11am MT / noon CT / 1pm ET according to the website

--------------------
Geoff M.

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Thanks, Geoff. Didn't see that.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could this be the most sensational revelation since Geraldo Rivera opened Al Capone's vault?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LWAwWwIe7Y

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anymore questions please. The show will be tomorrow. You guys did ask some good ones when I did my millionth mile back in 2007.

Chris

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
I would like to know if you know about how many miles the average Amtrak engineer, who runs long-distance trains, puts on in a year compared to how many miles you put on in a year? Who puts in more miles---you or the engineer? Is it different with an on-board crew member? I'm not sure who works more miles---engineers or OBS members. Either way, who puts on more miles---you or them? Thanks.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris--

I missed the show. Are they available archived anywhere?

Frank in clear but blustery SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Ditto---I missed it as well.
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Yes I answered your question Smitty in Segment one
today.

Just go to the web site and listen.

Chris

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Would appreciate it if someone would tell me what Chris said about the sources of funding.
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Listen to the first part of the show where I answered that question.

Chris

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Chris--

Henry is deaf and cannot listen to the first part of the show -- or any part.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Sorry about all the dumb callers but we could not screen them at all on Blog Talk. It was a good show and a thank you to Elizabeth for saving me at the end.
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Henry, I listened to the whole show and I really enjoyed it. Chris discussed how his trips were financed at great length and there was really nothing surprizing.

Most of his early trips, when he traveled less often, were at his own expense. Some were gifts from family and others. Going sober gave him more money to spend. Working in education full time, he travelled on school holidays to rack up the miles. He could do round trips to La Junta or El Paso on weekends.

Evidently an association with Trainweb and Steve Grande resulted in setting the million mile goal, so Trainweb financed some of the trips. AGR, Alaskan Airlines miles, North American Railpass, and Canadian Railpass were also used. He stressed good planning. He travelled in Canada when the exchange rate was $1.71 per US dollar.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Has anyone figured out how to play back the show? I did find this link:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/search?q=let%27s+talk+trains

However, the newest episode I can find is November 16th.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page