RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Great AGR Experience (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Great AGR Experience
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Works for me, too, Margaret. Give it a try again. There are three views to choose from.

Frank in clear and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried repeatedly, but all I ever get is a doggoned YouTube Playlist, not ever a live image. And when I tried the very first time, at just before noon PST, all I got was a still image: a night-time broadside view of a huge cruise ship all lit up. But IF that WAS the LIVE webcam, it should have showed me a daytime view, NOT a YouTube Playlist! And I did see the 3 hot links for the 3 different views, but none of them were hot links on my computer. [Frown]

I give up.......... sigh..... [Frown]

And I was really hoping to see Smitty's ship sail away on Monday at 1 pm PST..... Oh, well.....

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry, Margaret, that you are having difficulty accessing the Port Everglades site. Presently (712A ET), I count four passenger vessels docked.

Even though I'm 'not exactly' an aficionado of the Love Tub experience, it is a spectacle to watch them sail at rush hour. In years past, there was a city park in Miami along SR A1A that gave a view of 'the action at Dodge' and I used such on many an occasion to watch the sailings. However, that experience is gone post-9/11 - don't even think about such anymore.

I did get to see some of the Saturday rush hour from my hotel room in Miami last March.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Total of seven ships today including the Queen Victoria, my namesake. She doesn't leave until this evening so it will be dark for her.

Perhaps Margaret's problem relates to Adobe Flash Player, not loaded on her computer?

I would love to do a screen capture for Smitty but don't know how. Can anyone tell me how or do it for him. He should be on his way via Virgin.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki--

On a Mac it's Command/Shift/3.

Frank in sunny and warming SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all!

So far all is well. I'm on Virgin America 340, currently over the Gulf. Just passed New Orleans on our left.

Plane is 100% full. Everybody heading for my cruise ship? It's funny---everybody is watching the Niners game. Not me! I'm watching a funny/stupid movie on TBS: Land of the Lost. It's something to do.

Wow did GoGo internet fees go up!!!! If you want more than three continuous hours (the clock runs whether you use it or not), you must buy an all day pass for $20.95. Whoa!!! When did that happen???

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, no Mac here. Can you do it for Smitty?

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who cares about the in-flight entertainment; Smitty appears to have a window seat on VX's A-320, so to me there is all the in-flight entertainment needed. The computer is at a workstation in the office, and the cell phone is something that is on when I'm driving somewhere; otherwise off. Obviously, I'm 'not exactly attached to the hip' with any of these assorted electronic playthings.

Oh, and according to Virgin's Flight Status, Smitty should now be on the ground at KFLL.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Vicki--

I'll try!

Mr. Norman--

I'm surprised you used the IATA code VX instead of the ICAO code of VRD. Virgin America's call sign is Redwood -- a nod, I think, to it's Northern California roots.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was actually in an aisle seat this time. I would have preferred a window seat so that I could look out the window, but on a cross-country flight I hate to bother people when I need to get up to go pee! So I picked an aisle seat, so I couldn't even look over anyone's shoulder to see out the window because they were all closed. So strange!

This hotel is very nice----I'm told the Courtyard is "just across the street and around the corner" (for Frank). So far it's all very easy to navigate with shuttles, etc.

The shuttle driver pointed to one of the cruise ships currently sitting in port, and said it was the largest in the world. He said there are actually two ships that are almost identical, and this was one of them (I'd know the name if I heard it again). I believe it was a Royal Caribbean ship? I thought it was a building when I first saw it, then realized WHOA I'm looking at a ship! It is just rows and rows and stories and stories of windows and balconies. Incredibly huge ship.

There was only one other person on the hotel shuttle with me, and she was coming to the hotel to grab the car and go back and pick up the rest of her family waiting at the airport to get their bags, etc. She said they were on a cruise but when they got back last week, Jet Blue left them "high and dry" and told all of their passengers, "Sorry, but we are closing down" (because of the storms). They did nothing---NOTHING---to help their passengers. They simply shut down and walked away. So these folks had nowhere to go, so they ended up staying on the ship and doing another week on the same route that they just took. They had no choice----it was either that, or sit around a Fort Lauderdale hotel for a week waiting for Jet Blue to "catch up" again. I didn't ask how they paid for that or how that all worked out. I doubt the cruise line just let them stay---they must have had to pay for another week?

I hope someone can do a grab shot tomorrow as the Ruby Princess leaves port. That would be so neat! Sorry I don't know how to do a screen shot on a Windows machine---I'm Mac only. A quick Google search shows this:

Ever see something on your screen that you’d like to email or save for later? With Microsoft Windows XP, you can take a screen shot and capture an exact image of what’s on the screen.

To take a screen shot and save it as a picture

Click the window you want to capture. Press Alt+Print Screen by holding down the Alt key and then pressing the Print Screen key. The Print Screen key is near the upper-right corner of your keyboard. (Depending on the type of keyboard you have, the exact key names on your keyboard may vary slightly.)

Note

You can take a screen shot of your entire desktop rather than just a single window by pressing the Print Screen key without holding down the Alt key.

Click Start, click Accessories, and then click Paint.

In the Paint window, click Edit, and then click Paste.

When the image appears in the Paint window, click File, and then click Save As.

In the Save As dialog box, in the File name box, type a name for the screen shot, and then click Save.

You can now print or email the saved screen shot just like you would any other picture.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THANK you, Smitty, for the instructions!

If I don't get a chance to say it before ya leave -- BON VOYAGE!!! [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Thank you very much!
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Smitty--

It had to be either Allure or Oasis of the Seas. And yes, they are Royal Caribbean ships. I believe Allure is marginally larger. That title will be lost when Quantum of the Seas launches this year.

Frank in dark and still warm SBA

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Allure of the Seas---that's what she said. Wow, what a ship! Hard to believe they're capable of making something bigger than THAT. It is enormous----just beyond words.
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
I learned how to use the Snipping Tool so I know I can do the screen capture. I will set an alarm on my phone to remind me to be online at the right time.

Have a great trip Smitty.

--------------------

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Thanks, Vicki! This will be so neat.

I'm on the 12:45PM shuttle to the Cruise Port. That's the latest one they have (and, I'm told, the least crowded). I didn't think there was any reason for me to get over there earlier since the ship's not going anywhere until 4PM anyway.

It's 2:30AM (FL time) and I'm wide awake. I was so tired last night that I went to bed early (9PM) which of course was 6PM according to my body clock. Now I'm all messed up, but that's okay---I'm excited about going and I wouldn't be able to sleep any more than this anyway!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Smitty, glad everything 'with the Virgin' went OK (has Branson gotten around to peddling 'I slept on a Virgin' T-Shirts yet, or do those remain only wares of street hawkers on St. Thomas?).

I guess I'm really one of few airline passengers (again I was only on four flights during '13) who value a flightseeing experience. I can recall during '09, the last time my Sister was able to make a Florida jaunt with me (she is disabled); flying KPBI to KORD, and on American because United did not have non-stops so I stumbled around the no-man's land of ORD Terminal 3, I had my window seat booked on the First Officer's side (right) and way aft on an MD-80. However, the gal in the middle asked me if I would change to one row further aft so her husband could sit next to her. That window's view was blocked by #2's nacelle. She was indignant when I declined to move. The flightseeing was great all the way; I was able to pick off Atlanta as VOR ATL 116.90 is to the West of the airport. The gal had little to say to me during the flight except I learned that she was traveling on REWARD POINTS - and you can be sure I wasn't!!!

Another was flying KLAS-KORD back in '98. This was on America West (now American by way of USAir). Again I had a window seat well forward on Captain's side - and again a perfect day for flightseeing. I was 'glued' as the flight passed over Grand Canyon (I've never been to the South Rim - only North), it was time for the movie - and it was time for Queen dog Flight Attendant to announce to me 'to please lower your blind. I did so half-way. Not good enough for her 'Sir, lower your blind all the way - NOW; I will not ask you again. Next time, the Captain will be back here (this was pre-9/11) to tell you to lower it'. Well, discretion is the better part of valor and so I did.

Lest one wonder, I can't sleep on a plane; when I've gone overseas, I'm just sitting there drinking more than I should.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Very quick post here, but I found another webcam that is on top of the Hyatt Hotel and it continuously "pans" left and right:

http://ftlauderdalewebcam.com

As the camera makes its way all the way to the right, there she is!! The Ruby Princess. You will see it nose-to-nose with another ship that has a big "X" on the smoke stack. Once you see that "X" ship, the Ruby Princess will then come into view. The Mini-Suite deck (Deck D) where I will be is located directly above where the life boats are hanging. The balcony juts out over them. My cabin is mid-ship, but on the right side (this webcam view shows the left side). I'll be aboard in about 90 minutes!

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Hey, I'll be able to see Miami Beach and maybe the Florida Keys on the way out? Just thought of that. Glad I brought my zoom lens! [Smile]
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Smitty--

I think you're finally getting excited about this!! [Wink]

The ship with the "X" is a Celebrity ship -- possibly Celebrity Constellation, the ship we will be on next Monday. The "X" is actually the Greek letter Chi. It's an homage to the original company -- Chandris Lines.

Your ship is sporting the Princess logo which I believe is called "The SeaWitch". Not sure about that. Perhaps someone on board can help you out with that.

I love being able to watch two of my favorite things -- ships and airplanes all on the same website.

Frank in sunny and clear SBA

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Your ship! I will be sure to send positive vibes over to her as we leave. We'll try not to damage her front bumper on the way out. [Wink]

Can't wait!!!! Already hungry and anticipating my first buffet lunch on-board a SHIP!!!

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
BTW, anybody know what railroad it is that I'm hearing from my hotel? It is VERY close by, but I can't see it. CSX perhaps? This is in Dania Beach, and it sounds like it's coming from somewhere in-between the hotel and the airport (which is just a stone's throw from here).

I have a great view out my window of FLL airport. I can watch landings and takeoffs. Seems like lots of Jet Blue and Spirit planes visit this airport.

Frank: Are you guys taking "Redwood" here?

Edit: Just realized, you are probably on United/Continental because of your "connections".

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
A combo of ways to get there, Smitty.

We're non-revs, hopefully, to Tampa on Thursday. We'll spend time with cruise friends and then drive with them to FLL on Sunday.

On the next cruise, a 15 night Panama Canal, we are revenue pax on "Redwood" -- hopefully we will upgrade 24 hours before the flight to Main Cabin Select.

For the transatlantic in April we bought employee discount tickets on UAL.

You are probably on board by now -- or at least checking in.

Frank in sunny and clear and warm SBA

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Frank: I can confirm that is the Constellation. A gorgeous ship!

FYI, it is 4:15PM and we are still at the dock. We just finished the Muster Station drill, and I took a look outside my deck and they have pulled one gangway away, and one remains connected. I'm assuming we will be underway shortly?

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Yes, you are late departing. In fact, the Legend of the Seas is now going ahead. But I see the Ruby is now leaving the dock. Will do screen shots.

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Ruby Princess is sailing RIGHT NOW.

Registered in Hamilton Bermuda (just so all know I'm not making this up).

addendum 501P; now it looks like a Chandris (big X on the funnel) 'Celebrity Constellation' is getting ready to sail.

addendum 513P ET now a tub with an anchor on its funnel is getting ready to sail. It looks like it has a big jumbotron screem playing on its Sun deck. What is THAT needed for?

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Smitty--

I got some good shots, Smitty.

Hopefully you will settle into shipboard life quickly and have a great time.

This time next week we will be sailing on Celebrity Constellation, know to her fans including us, as "Connie".

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Smitty --
So glad you are now underway! Was very distracted watching that Southwest jet (B 737-700) taking off from "KPLK", that small Branson, MO, airport with that 3,738-foot runway. She started her take-off roll at the exact time your ship was supposed to sail, 1 pm PDT.

SHE MADE IT!! WHEW!! [Smile] That runway was almost half as long as the one she was supposed to land on, AND it has cliffs at BOTH ends! It was absolutely amazing that she landed safely in the first place.

Have a great voyage!! [Smile] Do keep us posted, if you are able.

Looking forward with great interest to some screen captures of your ship leaving.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Here's more on the incident Margaret notes; I first learned of such from CBS Radio News this morning during the 7AM CT hour:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/13/travel/southwest-plane-wrong-airport/

Of further interest, there is no ILS localizer at KPLK, as there is at KBBG; how could have the flight deck crew NOT known something was wrong:

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KPLK

Here is where they should have landed; note it has ILS localizer:

http://airnav.com/airport/KBBG

The only thing that could be said in the flight crew's defense is that KPLK Rwy is 12/30; KBBG is 14/32 - sort of parallel.

But alas, I'm not a pilot. Defer to Mr. Kisor and others here who are.

addendum: I took a little 'flight' in my 'private B-737-300' 'KMDW-KPLK' and 'landed at KPLK' without incident. However, had to 'brake' hard with the 'engines' in 'full reverse thrust'.

Back in real life, here is NBC Nightly News coverage of the incident:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3032619/#54061464

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Converted the files. Here are the pictures of Smitty's ship leaving port:

https://vickiandartstravels.shutterfly.com/316

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Vicki--

It looks as if you got one just as she was blowing the horn rounding the bend.

I e-mailed the ones I got to what I hope is Smitty's e-mail.

Frank in still sunny and warm you know where.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Downloading my email now while I write this quick note. Thank you for the screen shots!!! I haven't seen them yet, but I'll be checking them next!

I waved to where I *think* the camera is located. Took pictures as well. The people who live in the condos on the left (on the side where the camera is located) are funny. They ring bells and wave Princess flags from their back porches!!! [Smile]

We are out at sea now, just watched the sun go down. THIS IS AMAZING!!!! Sitting at my desk with a great internet connection in the middle of the ocean. 5 bars on my cell phone (via the ship's cell phone system), watching cable news live via their hi-tech receivers----I'm just blown away by everything.

I went to the spa for a drawing for free spa services (I did not win), however, they had a special for right then and there only if you booked "on the spot". A special 75 minute deal that includes full body massage, facial, everything---normally $250 on sale for just that moment for $119. I had to take it---they twisted my arm. So that's what I'll be doing Thursday at 3:30PM. [Smile]

Logging off now to save my internet minutes. This is SO GREAT!!!!!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Whatever happened to 'ships that looked like ships' (even freighters)?:

s/s Exeter

Passenger ships were designed with their aesthetics definitely in mind:

s/s Normandie

s/s United States

Whatever happened to the 2:3 ratio of superstructure decks to hull decks evident in the linked photos?

Now considering that I do follow maritime affairs (at least to the extent they impact those of the railroad industry), I'm quite aware that naval architects are little concerned with how a vessel looks nowadays. Net tonnage (the payload) is of first concern. How a hull comprising maybe four decks can support a superstructure of six (or 'Crowley' containers stacked four high on deck) and remain seaworthy escapes me. But they somehow do - Frank is here to talk about his TRANSAT's in these vessels.

But to this ancient mariner, who is essentially a landlubber nowadays, and with apologies to the cruising fraternity/sorority around here, the Port Everglades 'cam' views of the 'Princesses' stern made her look just like a bathtub to me.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I know what happened to this one:

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/281826889155369003/

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another beauty (might have to scale it down):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/SS_Independence_1951.jpg

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mike, wonder why I avoided a photo of Signor Doria (BTW, I was on Nantucket as that 1956 incident unfolded)? Also, lest we forget I have sailed on the s/s Constitution Naples-NY August 1960.

Now regarding the Signor's vessel, there is much to suggest that was a 'tub' as this Times article points out (may or may not be able to access):

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive/pdf?res=F1091FFB395C17728DDDAF0A94D8415B8084F1D3

Now I have long held that if some party REALLY wanted to save Doria (get some seagoing tugs out there pronto and right her. Seal the breach and pump 'er out), it could have been done. But with these design deficiencies noted by The Times, I think the parties in interest wanted her gone. Besides, if saved and returned to service, she would have been a 'rogue' vessel subject to seizure in almost any port at which she would have had occasion to call.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
No matter, Gil; the picture of the United States was all we needed.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Getting this back to Amtrak, I just convinced a young Australian couple who will be sailing with us on Celebrity Century SF0-SYD in September to book the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to San Francisco instead of taking Greyhound. They are VERY excited!

Frank in sunny and cool (41º) SBA

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Coast Starlight instead of the Hound---now THAT is a nice upgrade!! They will be so happy they took your advice!

I spent the day on Eleuthera today. Wow!! Gorgeous island, lots of time in the sun, fantastic weather. We are now under way again, and will be "at sea" until Thursday morning when we show up in Turks and Caicos.

This is the best!!!!

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Now Frank, make sure they go Sleeper - even if just a Roomette. But try to get them to book a Bedroom.

If they are coming over here for a totally discretionary activity such as a cruise, then 'poverty' is a weak defense.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page