RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Empire Builder Parlor Car?

Author Topic: Empire Builder Parlor Car?
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen some hints, on the internet and in various train magazines, that some sort of parlor car could be in the offing for the Empire Builder and/or Zephyr.

I couldn't find more info, but I did find this article, on the Empire Builder, from this past December:

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2013/dec/28/editorial-editorial-amtraks-often-tardy-empire/

However, nothing about a possible parlor car.

Has anyone heard or read about a possible parlor car for either the Empire Builder or Zephyr?

I also have read some rumors concerning a possible dome lounge car for either the EB or Zephyr. That would really be nice. Here is a picture of the Santa Fe dome lounge car:

-

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's amazing to see the changes in OTP between the Starlight and the Builder. A few years ago, the Starlight regularly arrived in Seattle many hours late while the Builder would usually arrive early. Thankfully, UP has fixed most of the track problems on the Starlight route and traffic levels have fallen so that the Starlight can make its schedule. Unfortunately, BNSF's Hi-Line has had increased traffic and some severe weather challenges that create frequent delays for the Empire Builder.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm stumped where they would get cars to serve as a parlor car.

Surplus Superliner diners maybe? If there are any left after the 37000 diner/lounge series took some.

Cool ad featuring a Santa Fe "Big Dome".

Although Amtrak doesn't have any of these. And even if they did they are single level cars so they would not mate with Superliner trains...unless you put it between the dorm and baggage.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with the article with reference to the late arrival/departure times into Spokane. Spokane could be the gateway to a lot of vacation trips ...too bad. Highway 2 east of Spokane is very scenic if you rent a car and drive.

Maybe they should think about a morning Cascade train from Seattle to Spokane...also Spokane to Seattle.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Brian Rosenwald, whom I have met along the way, retired (active or passive, I know not) from Amtrak a few months ago. He was the innovator of the additional amenities presently found on 11-14, Starlight.

While the existing 'Pacific Parlours' have had fairly recent heavy repairs, do not look for any further and expect the Starlight to simply become 'another bi-level train'.

Do not expect any fleetmates for the one Big/Great Dome rostered by Amtrak. The thought of Daily service on both the 68-69, Adirondack and 50-51, Cardinal is surely enticing to many here, but this is simply not the nature of Amtrak's business anymore (it was for a while after A-Day).

Besides Mr. Ellis seems to be gobbling up those cars as any go on the market. According to Mr. Ainsworth's site, 20 such cars were built; only three have been reported as scrapped. Six of the Santa Fe cars had a crew-dorm below the Dome where the others all had Bar-Lounges in that space.

Finally, Richard, your linked material is an Editorial, or otherwise an opinion held by the newspaper's Editorial Board, as distinct from an article, or reporting of news.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
PS- Looking at the posts, above, I see HTML links, in orange, that appear within the text of the message. For example, in Southwest Chief's post, the words "get cars" is an orange link. I also see "rent a car" from my post, above, is in orange.

Does this thing occur automatically..is there some way to block this sort of thing?....seems like an annoyance and of no real value.

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, this sounds like the same problem that both Rich Kimmel have lived through, If you have IE, go to Tools/Manage add-ons. If you see any in there that appear to be questionable and added at a recent date, disable them. Next time your computer is in for repairs, point such out to the technician and have them removed.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I have Yahoo, Mr. Norman.

I went to toolbars and to "manage add-ons" but it is all Greek, to me. Maybe I will take your advice and have my computer guru disable whatever needs disabling the next time he comes by.

I have also noticed that, once I log-on to the forum, it doesn't hold the log-on for any reasonable time. If I go back an hour later I have to log-on again.

Richard

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, this is most likely malware, quite often bundled crapware with a genuine-looking application. Depending on which particular brand of malware you have depends on the ease of removal. Some might be easily removed by disabling an add-in as GBN says; others require more low level removal methods - something that might require an expert. I don't want to alarm you too much but I'd do it sooner rather than later as the nastier versions of these are known to be keyloggers - ie anything you type (login details for forums, Facebook, Yahoo, your bank...) is sent to some remote server for somebody to peruse and use.

Removing log-in details may also be a side effect of malware trying to hide its tracks. Speculating here as it's unknown which particular brand of malware you may have.

Have a look at http://www.malwarebytes.org/ - and check that the link in your address bar contains malwarebytes.org after loading the page. Again, some malware is known to block/redirect URLs (addresses) to try to prevent their removal. This free program (there is a paid version too) will kill most malware without requiring much user knowledge. There is other software too but I don't recall their names (and - yet again - there are malicious "removal" tools too which do anything but remove, so beware).

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Yukon -- the way I solved the "login info not saved" on my Windows XP computer was like so:

1) Under "Tools," click "Internet Options"
2) Under "Internet Options, click the "content" tab
3) Click "settngs" in the "Auto Complete" tab
4) Make sure "address bar" and "forms" are checked, then check "browsing history" and "favorites" under "address bar," and "user name and passwords" under "forms"

Hope that's not too Greek to you, but then again, that is for my Windows XP machine, whioh I'm told no one except me has any more, since it is so "outdated"

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Netbook died last night (mechanical failure of the power socket) which ran XP. However, note that it will be officially unsupported this coming April. It will still run on your PC, of course, but Microsoft won't release any more bug fixes or - more importantly these days - security patches.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I have XP as well; Rich.

I got this computer during 2007, when I had my choice from Dell of either XP or Vista. I was advised to take XP, and from what I have learned about the latter, I'm sure glad I did.

When Bill Gates decides he no longer will support XP, either this existing machine will no longer be on line, which would enable me to continue with Lotus 123 (and just get a laptop to 'play'), or if a new desktop with W8, I'll then have to pay $600 for Excel - and be afforded the 'honor and privilege' to learn a new spreadsheet - and of course move all of my files now on 3.25 floppies (guess what; got rid of 5.25 big floppies when I got this computer and also got rid of dial up at that time) to whatever is used nowadays - something called 'The Cloud'?

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:

I went to toolbars and to "manage add-ons" but it is all Greek, to me.

It may be all Greek, to you, but it's all "Geek" to me!
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Thanks for all the good information.

Geoff- I went to your malware link and downloaded the free download. Thanks. Hope it will work.

Rich- Thanks for the step by step for retaining the forum log-in. I took the steps. Hopefully that will work.

Strangely, I no longer see the orange HTML link in my post, 3rd down from the top. I hope that means it is a temporary problem, but possibly the malware downlink will come into play.

I have Windows 8 and in my jaundice way of thinking, regarding W8, maybe the orange HTML's are one of the great benefits of windows 8. [Frown]

PS- As I post this reply, I notice that, to the left below the word "Message", it says "HTML is not enabled" (cheers!). It does say "UBB Code is enabled" (what does that mean?)

Richard

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those of you still on Windows 7 like me, there are free Microsoft products called Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode. When installed you can run all the old XP programs. Like Mr. Norman, I will cling to my Lotus 123 until they pry it from my desperate hands. I believe Windows 8 does not have such options.

I had to use Excel extensively at work, and it was never as efficient or intuitive as my Lotus from 18 years prior. I still use Lotus every day for managing finances, and I still think of the magic "/" key as the most wonderful on the keyboard.

And then there is my single screen Lotus spreadsheet showing 10 days of color coded detailed weather for the whole country, and all Amtrak roomette prices (also color coded), monitored daily for a quick getaway. About 5 minutes to create initially and another 5 daily for input from Amsnag and the Weather Channel.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yukon -- I have always had the "HTML is not enabled" and "UBB Code is enabled" on my message pane. The UBB code is used to put puctures and links into your message; I am not sure how it works, since I never use it, but Mr. Norman can tell you all about how to use UBB code.

Twin Star -- many years ago, I had Virtual PC when I had my Mac computer. It worked "OK" for some programs, but did not work for many others. I would not recommend the product.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SWC...

As of a year ago, Amtrak had ONE Budd full dome. It moves between Southern California and New England, supporting highly scenic opportunities.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page