RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » New System Timetable

Author Topic: New System Timetable
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak's Winter/Spring 2014 System Timetable has now been released. I find this the most painless way to obtain such:

http://www.amtrak.com/order-contact-amtrak-publications

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Order placed....... likely won't get to an Amtrak station for another couple or three weeks.... if then.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. Gil. I love to "send away" for things to keep my letter carrier busy. I'm sure she's getting sick of stuffing my mailbox with that endless stream of junk mail and bills.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new print version of the system timetable won't show the latest Cascades schedule changes. The latest online version does show the correct timetable. The changes are a new early morning train from Portland to Eugene (503) and an afternoon departure from Eugene to Seattle (508). The mid-morning departure from Eugene to Portland (504) and the late trip between Portland to Eugene on train 509 have been cancelled. There are also small changes in the Seattle to Portland sections of trains 500 and 508 that don't show up in the new printed schedule.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Amtrak's Winter/Spring 2014 System Timetable has now been released. I find this the most painless way to obtain such:

http://www.amtrak.com/order-contact-amtrak-publications

Thanks for the link, Mr. Norman. I ordered one when you posted this, back on Jan 9th. I haven't, as yet, received the timetable. Is it normal for Amtrak to take this long?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly not based upon my experience; best suggestion, try again.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fixj
Member # 3179

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for fixj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used the link and got the timetable in about 7 days.
Jim

Posts: 24 | From: Panama City, FL | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I requested another System Timetable. However, I never received a confirmation of my order. Possibly Amtrak doesn't send you a confirmation notice when you order a timetable?

After entering my name, address, & phone number, they asked me to retype a word, at the bottom. There were 2 words..one kind of "wavy" which I couldn't read, and one I could read. I typed in only the word I could read. Do they want you to retype both, or just the word you can read?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Any of those 'wavy' authentications expect a user to type in everything seen, however usually if your response is not acceptable there is a message to that effect.

I'll defer to our 'wizards' around here regarding the need for, and the 'quirks of', those authentications.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I tried to type in the wavy word, even though I couldn't be sure what the word was.

Yes, you would think they would let you know if the order didn't go through, as well as a confirming notice if the order did go through.

I think it would be easier to request a few IRS files.

Richard

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got mine at Santa Ana a few days ago.
Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
After entering my name, address, & phone number, they asked me to retype a word, at the bottom. There were 2 words..one kind of "wavy" which I couldn't read, and one I could read. I typed in only the word I could read. Do they want you to retype both, or just the word you can read?

You should type both. As this is a re-captcha, you're actually helping digitize books - the automated reader wasn't able to work it out so it's asking you for help. If enough people type the same word then that's the word that gets used by the automated reader. Completely unrelated to the website you're on however.

As for the wavy words, I hate them. I've had a whole stream that I could not read. The audible version is no better.

There are better ways for the "are you human" test but I accept this is the common way.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not simply call Amtrak, and speak to a human? Those "captchas" can be daunting.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to The Montrealer and The Hilltopper? Did they get annulled or something? And what about that one from Chicago to Miami, the one with the dome car? It was called The Palm Nipper, or The Coconut Dodger, IIRC. Somebody help me out here!

(Thanks for the link, Gilbert!)

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Marriott Downtown at City Creek Salt Lake City--

Mr. DNS, the Montrealer, Floridian (coconut dodger), and the Hilltopper met their fate with the 1979 Carter Cuts.

I really should commend Amtrak for "giving it the old college try" with The Floridian. I rode 'bumper to bumper" during Nov 1977. The nine car train had two Sleepers, two Domes, two Coaches, full service Diner, and a Lounge. You don't find that much non-rev space on any Amtrak train today - including Auto Train.

Time to go the Utah Symphony pre-concert lecture starts at 7PM MT.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page