RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » 3 Southwest Hotels to catch Amtrak

Author Topic: 3 Southwest Hotels to catch Amtrak
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As part of our western trip we had occasion to stay at three hotels: Andaluz in Albuquerque, La Posada in Winslow, and Congress in Tucson. All were within a block or two of the Amtrak station.

I would recommend the first two for anyone traveling through the area and to use as a base for sightseeing. We have had several threads comment on the wonderful LaPosada, our favorite, so I won't elaborate on that.

In Albuquerque we had a quick stopover on the SWC to visit a relative and stayed at the Hotel Andaluz. While not inexpensive (I think our weekend, mid-winter rate was $129) we felt it was reasonable and well worth it. It was the type of hotel we prefer: an older property that has been carefully restored and operated independently of the chain hotels. Local investors pumped $30 million into the hotel several years ago to restore to its former glory and did a magnificent job. The style is what is called Pueblo Deco. The food was great, the service good, and beds comfortable. Great lobby where music entertained the guests the night we were there. It was built in 1939 by Conrad Hilton, a NM native, and was the start of that chain. The restaurant was where he proposed to his future wife, Zsa Zsa Gabor. I believe our discerning Mr. Norman would like this one.

After visiting family in Scottsdale, we drove to Tucson to spend the night before catching the Sunset. We stayed in the Hotel Congress, across the street from the station. It too is an older hotel that has been restored, but less elegantly than the Andaluz or La Posada. In fact, it appeared to be almost a hotel museum with the rooms, halls and lobby seemingly unchanged, except for fresh paint, from when it was built in 1919. They even use the original phone switchboard to connect to the rooms. Its claim to fame was the capture of John Dillinger there in 1934. The restaurant was excellent, and appeared to be a local Tucson favorite fine dining spot as was its sister restaurant across the street in the station, called Maynard's. Maynard's had an adjoining wine bar, market/carry out place. Great place to do a little train watching. The Amtrak waiting room was next to it.

The drawback to the hotel was that this area is being gentrified with many popular nightspots on that block (and the hotel bar). So, the ear plugs in the room were needed and it doesn't have the amenities many traveler expect like fancy bathrooms or fine furnishings. But it's a great spot to hop on (or off) the Sunset. We left our Avis rental at the closest location the night before, about 5 miles east of downtown. But that got us an interesting taxi ride through that part of Tucson which included the University area (new downtown trolley to start soon) and older nice residential area where Hollywood stars like Elizabeth Taylor and John Wayne hung out. Of course on 'the other side of the tracks' was a poor area of town. The Saquaro National Park is another attraction we had seen on a previous trip that was well worth a visit on a Tucson trip.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You 'avoided' the newer Alvarado in Albuquerque which is adjacent to the Amtrak station. Was there a reason?
Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
I believe our discerning Mr. Norman would like this one.

Mr. Palmland, the magnamious comment is duly noted.

I respect your's and Miss Mary's desire to try independents, but I can still recall my 'never again' experience at Historic Plains Hotel in Cheyenne.

After that one, I'll simply stick to the major brand chains (the charming little country inn where I ended up at last Reunion during 2011 can also be forgotten - along with their rates!!!). 'The best surprise is no surprise'.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been to Tucson several times and I've yet to find a real good place to spend the night. I spent one night in a motel west of I-10 and I will unequivocally tell everyone to avoid that area.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RR China - The Andaluz was the type hotel we wanted but didn't avoid a new Alvarado, just didn't know a new one was there. The original Alvarado was torn down in 1970 - another classic in the Harvey House hotels. Funding was never secured for its restoration and it met the fate of NY Penn station and many others during that era.

GBN - I do think the Andaluz would be a suitable destination for a mid winter joyride, esp. in view of the uncertain future of the SWC.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland -- there's a "fine dining" restaurant in an AMTRAK station? Hmmmmmmmmmmm........... (your Maynard) [Confused]
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
RRRich - You be the judge: Maynard's Menu. And here is the menu from the hotel's Cup Cafe restaurant that is part of the same outfit: Hotel menu.

We liked the hotel's menu better and it was easier just to go downstairs. But, Maynard's would be my choice on a warm evening as they had a nice trackside patio.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maynard's in the Tucson train station looks great, but otherwise where is the nearest Marriot Courtyard or higher (Here it is}?
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland -- WOW!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a good place to check out if I am ever in Tucson for longer than the amount of time the Sunset Ltd is stopped there.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Well Rich, #1, Sunset Limited, arrives Tucson 745P leaves 835P. Sounds like adequate time, assuming on-time, for Dinner at Maynard's.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Less than an hour for a pleasant, non-rushed dinner at a fancy restaurant? I don't think so! At the small-town bar where I go out to eat once a week up here in Michigan, I usually stay for about 2 hours!!!!
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Yeah Rich, I know the place in Winter Park we went to wasn't all that busy that evening, but most upper level dining establishments figure on hour and a half for a table turn.

I know that when I met Marty Hale (Train Granny) and her Sister, we got kicked out, or maybe 'suggested' out, of Miller's Pub for same (I had an hour's wait for BNSF/METRA home, they had nowhere to go but their hotel).

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved La Posada in Winslow. Day visit, not overnight, but dining room was excellent--it's a regional destination restaurant--and the Fred Harvey Southwestern motif of the hotel outstanding.

This lovingly restored property is must see, in my opinion.

A walkway leads from the adjacent Winslow Amtrak station and the back of the hotel overlooks BNSF trans-con action.

Mr. Norman does not know what he is missing! [Smile]

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Nadeau, first we address 'to each his own', and that of course is paramount to any comments of 'chain v. going local'.

There is simply the segment who travel (and for me, it is now only occasionally - 12 nights during '13 - and 11 of those were with the end goal of 'keeping friends friends and family family') who prefer 'the best surprise is no surprise' approach the major brand chains offer. That stay I had during 2010 in Cheyenne is something I could have well done without. However, I believe when I wrote my review of that property for Trip Advisor, I did so in a manner that if someone like yourself or Mr. Palmland who seek 'things a little different' would not be completely shied away (so many TA reviews are just that: 'it stinks', 'its awful' or on the other hand 'it's awesome', but I don't write like that).

I never reviewed the 'charming little country inn' at which our Class set up shop for the last Reunion during '11. I just can't see having to make do with less than the expected amenities - and at rates, if I may say, higher than I paid at the Greenwich Hyatt for two nights afterwards to visit with my Sister. But alas, those are the kind of places our Class Agent's wife likes; so that is where we all stayed (besides, the nearest major chains to Kent are in Danbury - twenty five miles away).

'Play it again'.

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trip Advisor provides a wealth of information, but it lacks one important protocol--reviewers are not limited to those who have actually stayed at a property. In other words, the system can be gamed.

This does not matter in the case of a Palmer House Hilton in Chicago that may have hundreds of reviews, but certainly does in the case of an "Historic Plains Hotel." How do we know those reviews are real?

As with you, I stay mostly at chains.

Chain hotels though have not had an easy time since the dot com & telecom collapses in 1999/2000, 9/11, and of course the "Great Recession." Merely limiting your choices to chains does not guarantee your experience. Nevertheless, I've learned the ones like Hyatt that have emphasized maintaining their standards in the face of cash flow problems.

Your travel style is of course none of my business. (I was joking in the previous comment.) I am merely suggesting that if you do wish to "go off the ranch" periodically to deepen the richness of your travel experiences that you seek the advice of people you trust on this forum (I trust palmland and others here), friends and family you trust, and very importantly recent reviews on sites like Hotels.com and Priceline that feature people confirmed to have actually stayed at a property.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/LIFE/usaedition/2012-03-16-TripAdvisor-popularity-index_ST_U.htm

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
No secrets with me, Mr. Nadeau; here's the 'box score' for 2013:

Hyatt, Greenwich CT; 4ni; family visit; Aug
Crowne Plaza, Dunwoody GA; 2ni, friends, Apr
Hampton Inn, Casselton IN 2 1ni, friends, Jun & Nov.
Marriott, Miami FL 1ni, getaway after surgery, Mar
Westin, Indianapolis, 1ni, friends, May.
Courtyard, Nashville, 1ni, intended visit friends but ended up passing through, Apr.
Best Western, Marion IL, 1ni, passing through, Apr.

Should note that the Best Western was converted from a Holiday Inn Express within the past two years; guess you could say 'I knew the property' as otherwise 'I don't do BW'.

Sorry to say, no Amtrak during '13 - not any kind of boycott, but otherwise Greenwich and Miami air, Indy and Atl auto.

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman,

Love that you don't stay at the same chain all the time, as some do to get frequent traveler rewards. You seem to pick what's best for you in a specific situation.

I'd list some of mine, but with therapy am just starting to gain some functionality typing after a wrist operation. (Don't break one. This procedure included a bone transplant and something metal that will make TSA clearance interesting.)

As a mostly mom and pop owned & run operation at its lodging level, especially away from big cities, Best Western knew it faced inconsistencies that hurt bookings. As a result not long ago, it initiated a "Plus" rating for its best properties.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page