RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Booked An Interesting Trip Yesterday...

Author Topic: Booked An Interesting Trip Yesterday...
Amtrak288
Member # 1967

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak288   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I booked my big trip for 2014 for this Fall and wondered if anyone on this board had any advice since there will be some new territory for me that I haven't covered in the past, along with some familiar stuff, so here goes!!!

The focus of this trip will be to visit all 4 Space Shuttles using Amtrak to get there. It took some serious research as I had to find a way to fit all of this in a certain amount of time, as well as pay for it. This trip will be a complete record breaker for me! I will be riding a total of 10, yes TEN Amtrak trains as well as one Thruway Bus. I'll also be staying in 5 hotels and renting 4 cars! The trip will run as follows: Ride #49 out of Buffalo to Sandusky, OH to go to Cedar Point for 2 days, then spend a day railfanning at the new Fostoria Railfan Park in Fostoria, OH. Next up, I'll be riding #30 from Sandusky to Washington DC in a roomette. I'll use public transit to get to my hotel in Chantilly, VA near Dulles Airport. The next day, I'll make a round trip from Washington to NYP on #56 (Vermonter) and #129 (Northeast Regional) back to Washington. While in New York, I'll be visiting the Space Shuttle Enterprise which was the test shuttle and it's located at the Intrepid Air & Space Museum. After a full day in New York, the next day, I'll visit Space Shuttle Discovery at the Smithsonian's facility near Dulles Airport. The reason I decided to stay in Virginia for 2 nights had more to do with keeping the costs in check, and it also allowed me to ride more trains. After visiting Discovery and checking out of the hotel, I'll be riding #97 to Orlando in a Roomette. Once I get to Orlando, I'll be staying at a hotel there, renting another car, and the next day driving to Cape Canaveral to see Space Shuttle Atlantis, before going back to Orlando and beginning a transcontinental train odyssey! I'll be riding #98 to Washington, #29 to Chicago, then #3 to Los Angeles, all in roomettes (brought to me courtesy of 35,000 AGR points). I'll rent another car, and visit the California Science Museum the day I arrive in LA, then spend the night, then ride #761 up to SLO from LA, take Bus #4761 to SJC (4 hours and it stops at McDonald's, how bad can that be?), then #544 to Oakland Coliseum station where I'll transfer to BART, go to SFO, rent another car, then drive to Vacaville where I'll stay for 4 nights. The trip will close with 2 more rides on the Napa Valley Wine Train, both during the day on 2 different days. I will once again ride in the cab going north and the Gourmet Express diner going south on the first day, then ride in the Vista Dome car for lunch the next day. I also want to do night photography of the train as well. I'll be taking the mechanical birds back to Buffalo after that! So, all in all, anybody have any advice for me on any of these trains as a few of them I haven't rode yet, or any other advice???

Posts: 113 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is good that you are taking this trip in 2014. In 2017, when Rick Perry is Vice President, he will have the Space Shuttle Enterprise moved to Houston. That will give you another excuse to train trip to Houston to see it's new home at NASA in Clear Lake, TX.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of weeks ago I drove by Spaceport America in New Mexico in my rental car, where you will soon be able to get a trip into space courtesy of Virgin Galactic. I took #3 to ABQ and did a loop through Phoenix before returning via Flagstaff on #4.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/02/travel/how-outer-space-new-mexico/

Unfortunately the $250,000 ticket price for the trip into space is beyond my means, and I doubt they will accept Guest Rewards Points. They expect this to be a real draw for space travel enthusiasts, and it is an easy drive from Amtrak in ABQ or El Paso.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:

In 2017, when Rick Perry is Vice President, he will have the Space Shuttle Enterprise moved to Houston.

Really? I thought he was going to DO AWAY with three agencies: NASA, Amtrak, and.........wait, I'll get back to you on the other one as soon as I can remember it.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's quite an ambitious schedule! I'll point out that in SJC there is a connection to CalTrain that would make your trip to SFO airport easier. Or, if you are only looking for a rental car, it might be easier to take Amtrak to the OAK airport instead of SFO.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heartily agree with Vincent206's recommendation to take CalTrain to SFO. You ride it to Millbrae station, where's there's a short BART connection to the airport.

There has been much concern about the safety of walking between Amtrak and BART at the Oakland Coliseum. The stops do not adjoin each other and there is apparently no security. I'll let you read up on that and make your own decision.

In case you don't know, you can take the new METRO Expo line from its Metro Center station in downtown LA to the Expo/USC station, the location of the California Science Center. From Union Station, the red or purple lines take you to the Metro Center station for the connection.

http://www.metro.net/riding/maps/expo-line/

Take time to visit the adjoining USC campus, the main filming venue for university-related TV shows and movies. This is a biased tip though. I am a rabid USC Trojans football fan. [Smile]

When I read over your 2013 and earlier trip reports, I guessed that your 2014 would include Florida! Didn't anticipate it would also include California.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip!

I'm interested in the Wine Train. We just booked a Coastal Cruise that has an overnight in San Francisco. I'm thinking of the Wine Train as an option on one of the days. Obviously you enjoyed it and would recommend it?

As for visiting USC it's too bad you can't work UCLA into your schedule. Plenty of filming done there, too! [Smile]

Frank in wet but not drought busted yet SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Smith:

In 2017, when Rick Perry is Vice President, he will have the Space Shuttle Enterprise moved to Houston.

Really? I thought he was going to DO AWAY with three agencies: NASA, Amtrak, and.........wait, I'll get back to you on the other one as soon as I can remember it.
Joe Biden.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is way off-topic, but when Rick Perry made that big "oops" during the debates, I found out later that he was on Vicodin at the time and had just had some type of surgery on his back. I'm guessing that's why he came across the way that he did? I've seen him in so many debates before where he really holds up well, but I think the pain pills took him off his game that night. I remember watching and thinking, wow, that's really bad that you to eliminate three huge agencies but can't remember them all. That told me that it was just a debating point, and nothing real that would ever happen if elected. I hate how politicians do that.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Smitty--

Will you be around on Thursday to do some screen shots of Celebrity Century leaving FLL? We are supposed to depart at 5:00PM EST. I'd appreciate it if you can.

Things are not looking good for an upgrade to Main Cabin Select on VA on the 5th but we'll see how it plays out.

Frank in WET SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:

I know this is way off-topic, but when Rick Perry made that big "oops" during the debates, I found out later that he was on Vicodin at the time

Thanks for the memory jog. The other agency, after all, is the Food and Drug Administration.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank----Yup, I'll be here. I just put it on my calendar for 2PM local, Celebrity Century. This is the Panama Canal trip isn't it?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank,

Even the “Hunchback of UCLA” was filmed at USC. Need I say more?

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:
Sounds like a great trip!

I'm interested in the Wine Train. We just booked a Coastal Cruise that has an overnight in San Francisco. I'm thinking of the Wine Train as an option on one of the days. Obviously you enjoyed it and would recommend it?

As for visiting USC it's too bad you can't work UCLA into your schedule. Plenty of filming done there, too! [Smile]

Frank in wet but not drought busted yet SBA

Frank & Amtrak 288:

The Napa Wine Train is well worth it. Superb, gourmet food and a nice, scenic trip. Be sure to visit the end car which has a nice lounge for adult beverages. Also, if you have time, the town of St. Helena is a fun place to visit with very good restaurants.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WAY too many rental cars and hotels for this railfan!!!!!!!!! I have NEVER booked rental cars as part of a train trip, and typically I will stay in no more than 2 hotels on any one trip.

I agree with Vincent about catching Caltrain from the SJC station -- that station serves both AMTRAK and Caltrain (and also the Santa Clara Valley Light Rail, or whatever it's called)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich, and surely Ms. Sojourner as well, if the objective of the trip is to visit the Space Shuttle displays and to give wine country the justice it deserves - even if it has become 'a bit' commercialized and oriented towards the 1% of late, the only reasonable and practical way to do so is rent autos.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Frank: If you guys can swing it, DEFINITELY do the Wine Train. I've done it three times now, all three times in the dome. The dome is the ONLY way to go. It costs a tad bit more, but it's worth every penny. It's the only car on the train that is "elevated" (because of the dome), and your views are superior. Also, the dome car passengers get their own menu that is totally separate from the rest of the train (it is an upgraded menu). The lower level of the dome has a kitchen, and that kitchen is ONLY for the dome car. The other kitchen is for the rest of the train---so you get all of the good stuff in the dome. The service up there is also premium. Believe me, it is THE way to go on this train. And of course, in-between your meal and dessert, you get up and have plenty of time to walk the entire train and hang out on the "back porch" if you'd like to. By booking the dome, you get the best of all worlds.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's great when a railfan, or any traveler, has a real purpose in riding trains, not just riding for the sake of the ride. Somehow, to me, it make it seems more worthwhile and enjoyable if there is a clear objective for the trip. But this does look like Amtrak288 might be a bit of an overachiever. Still, it looks likes like fun.

Given time, money, and energy I think it would be fun to see how many major league baseball games you could see on a two or three week trip by train. But, not sure how my spouse would feel about that. We'll settle for a few spring training games this month, by auto.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Smitty--

Thanks for the advice and for being there for the sailaway.

We decided to do the Wine Train on a separate trip. The cruise line is, of course, charging a premium and I would bet it would not include travel in the dome.

The Panama Canal cruise leaves on this Thursday but the San Francisco port call is part of the following cruise. We decided to do it instead of driving to Monterey to have our taxes done when we saw the last minute deal we could get. We do need to swap cabins in LA but it's just across the ship and they move everything. You don't even need to pack anything that's on a hangar.

Frank in still damp SBA

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, and other ship lovers. Got a great new app for iPhone 5s called 'Marine Traffic'. It shows the location of all ships worldwide as well as details on the vessel incl. destination, size and type.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil -- obviously, you are right if your intent is to visit specific sites, then yes you need a car. It just seems like Mr. A288 is overdoing it a little!!!

On my wife's and my 2006 trip out west, we took AMTRAK to Essex, MY (Isaak Walton Inn), then rented ONE CAR and drove south through Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Durango (CO), Grand Canyon, and other sites, then we came back home from FLG on the SW Chief.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Palmland--

Thanks for the app. Can you find Century?

Frank in clear but cool SBA

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Looks like it's docked in Port Everglades just in from San Juan.
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Yep. She will do a 3 night cruise and then we board Thursday to take her through the Canal for, I believe, the last time. She's then doing a series of Coastal Cruises and on to Alaska. In September she's headed across the Pacific for the last time -- "Golden Gate to Opera House Cruise/SFO-SYD" -- and we will be aboard. We'll also be onboard for the last two cruises under the Celebrity name -- Singapore to Dubai and Dubai to Rome.

Frank in sunny, dry and warming SBA

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Don't remember if mentioned this, but transiting Suez & sailing on to Dubai were two of the peak travel experiences of my life.

I wish you both a totally enjoyable experience.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:

On my wife's and my 2006 trip out west, we took AMTRAK to Essex, MY (Isaak Walton Inn), then rented ONE CAR and drove south through Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Durango (CO), Grand Canyon, and other sites, then we came back home from FLG on the SW Chief. [/QB]

Rich:

I didn't know you can rent a car in Essex, MT. Does the Izaak Walton Inn provide rental cars or is there a separate car rental agency in Essex? Could I rent a car at Essex and drop it off, a few days later, at Whitefish?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Richard -- yes, I made it sound a bit easier than it actually was!!! Izaak Walton only rents a limited no. of cars for local use. We rented a car at IW one day, drove to the Kalispell, MT Airport (1/2 hr away or so), then got our one-way rental car (a Chevy HHC), which we booked from Kalispell to Flagstaff, AZ -- we had intended to return the car to the FLG airport, but after we got to Flagstaff, we realized that there was an Enterprise (? - I think that's who we used, but I don't remember) return facility right at the hotel we were staying at!!

We returned IW's car to them, and left in the Kalispell rental car the next day. I doubt that you woudld be able to rent a car at Izaak Walton and return it to Whitefish -- as I said, the Walton only has a limited no. of cars (they are not in the car rental business!), and your car would need to be returned to Izaak Walton.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Thanks for the information, Rich. I may get to Whitefish and the Izaac Walton in the summer of '15, unless I decide to go to Lake Louise.

Richard

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page