RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Changes on Auto-Train

Author Topic: Changes on Auto-Train
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While still unconfirmed by Amtrak, it does appear this is authentic. Fred Frailey, a frequent Trains magazine contributor, posted this on his blog at Trains.com.

For those that aren't signed up, here is an excerpt:

"There was quite a dustup Thursday on Trainorders.com when webmaster Todd Clark published what he believed to be an internal Amtrak memo about changes coming to the Auto Train in about two weeks. I asked Amtrak for comment and thus far gotten no response. The memo appears authentic, so I'll share its contents.

What's afoot is a combination of cost cuts and revenue additions. Gone will be complimentary wine and cheese tasting for sleeping car passengers (saving: $188,000 per year). Removed from the train will be the sleeping car portion's Sightseer Lounge car. With that, obviously, will be eliminated the position of lounge car attendant (saving: $550,000, because it takes at least six people to fill these slots on a train each way a day). Not given is the savings in maintenance of that lounge car, but figure $100,000. Also gone is complimentary wine at dinner for both coach and sleeping car passengers; now they must buy their own, like everyone else riding Amtrak. (Saving: $275,000). Not shown is the estimated revenue from sale of wine at dinner. Oh yes, both diners will use the same menu henceforth, and this permits one of the two cooks in the sleeping car diner to be furloughed (saving: $550,000 per year). All this is said to occur on March 14.

Now to the revenue raisers. The Auto Train is limited to 50 cars, including 16 Superliner cars (although sometimes I see 17). CSX has set the limit of 50 cars, and 16-17 Superliners is the limit of the motor alternators on the P40 diesels supplying hotel power to the cars. With the sleeping car lounge gone, Amtrak will add a bilevel coach to the train (Gained: $1,5 million per year). Finally, people traveling on a pass will be docked $30, plus $75 for a vehicle. (Gained: $586,000).

All told, these moves will affect the profit-and-loss statement of the Auto Train to the tune of $3,650,000. That is, if passengers aren't chased away. As I said, there was a lot of hue and cry. But after reading it all, and reflecting upon my own experiences aboard the train (two or three round trips per year), I decided this is, on balance, a pretty good plan.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have to say, this is more drastic than any scuttlebutt I picked up last week.

These changes will likely not have any effect upon my future use of AT. I really thought the 'wine tasting' was simply 'happy hour' - and I'm not exactly known for frequenting bars for those. I'll simply pack a bottle and have my refreshments while reading The Times and Journal. The bottle cost will be offset by the $5 tip I left at happy hour.

As far as Dining service, oh well, guess I'll have to accept lasagna, turkey tetrazzini, ravioli, and whatever casserole dishes are served to Coach passengers. When AT started under the private banner, there was only one class of meal service. That continued under Amtrak when during 1991, upgraded service was offered to Sleeper passengers in a separate Dome Diner (a MILW Super Dome).

But OK fair is fair; but fair says level the playing field. Amtrak, kill that Pacific Parlour!!!

disclaimer: author never goes West (not a boycott, just no reason and if there were I'd probably fly); always goes to Florida

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it was the webmaster who published that memo? I thought it was Gene Poon.

At any rate, my "gut" tells me that this is a wrong move. I can not articulate this so that it would make sense to anyone. All I can say is that I "feel" it, based upon my observations of the crazy things Amtrak does over the years. They love to reinvent the wheel, and they love to try things already tried and failed, them try and fail again, try and fail again, and try and fail again some more.

So Amtrak's "solution" to saving money is to hurt the passenger. Hmmmmm......Nothing about holding off on pay raises for the employees (like every other business is doing, including police and fire departments), or even doing minor pay cuts that would equal this or more. Nope, instead they want to hurt the people who they are supposed to be serving. Way to go, Amtrak!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops, you're right...it was posted by "webmaster". I was thinking of a different memo (Gene Poon posts a lot of internal memos).
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:

So Amtrak's "solution" to saving money is to hurt the passenger.

From the sound of it, Amtrak is simply cutting one Sightseer Lounge (along a route with less-than-stellar scenery), losing the free wine and cheese, and switching to a unified menu.

Sorry. That's hardly a tragedy.

If any current Auto Train customers feel such trivial changes will "hurt" them, I suggest they venture beyond their gated communities into the real world, where millions of Americans are truly hurting.

----------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One point of which we should not lose sight; this is hardly the first rodeo with amenity cuts. It just seems that the cuts such as Reagan era microwaved meals and Simplified Dining initiative, all had a way of 'sneaking back through the back door'.

I've had my AT trip for the year; as I immediately noted, I'll continue to use AT - without wine and cheese and a casserole instead of a steak.

But me without wine? that's a day without sunshine!!! I'll just bring my own.

But a plus; there is at least one 330XX Sightseer in the AT pool; it is now about to be released and hopefully reassigned to where passengers can see some sights. That presumed reassignment will be to CHI which means less chance of having #5, Zephyr, going out with a 370XX X Country Cafe in place of the regularly assigned Sightseer.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it's certainly not a tragedy, is it necessary? A couple assumptions: 1. the average AT sleeping car passenger is more affluent than those on the rest of their trains 2. some percentage of those will not be happy with the usual Amtrak bland food and fake china/tablecloths 3. An upscale premium lounge/diner might attract more sleeper passengers.

As the cruise lines have discovered, people are willing to pay extra for a fine dining experience - upwards of $75 on some ships.

What would happen if Amtrak proceeded with plans to eliminate the upgraded dining for the majority of passengers, as well as wine, and the extra person in the diner - which, I understand, is really the dishwasher. But, Amtrak replaced the current sleeper lounge (which is really nothing more than a diner and is also used for overflow sleeper dinner seating) with one of their idle CCC cars. Based on the numbers provided, this currently costs around $700k ($550k- attendant, $100k maintenance -$50k upgraded food?.

Passengers would reserve premium service when booking the reservation. Food would be catered to the car ready to serve as is done on many successful excursion dinner trains (and 1st class air). The attendant for the car would provide wine and purchased liquor in the lounge area for those waiting for the first or second seating. The adjacent diner staff would help with meal serving if necessary. If each CCC seats 24 (not sure), an Extra Fare of $20 would cover the costs (assume liquor purchases would offset free wine costs). This would also help with loss of the extra table seating as now planned.

This model might also work for CS and its PPC as you can be sure it's also in the sights of the bean counters. Would it work? You'll never know if you don't try.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by dilly:
quote:
Originally posted by smitty195:

So Amtrak's "solution" to saving money is to hurt the passenger.

From the sound of it, Amtrak is simply cutting one Sightseer Lounge (along a route with less-than-stellar scenery), losing the free wine and cheese, and switching to a unified menu.

Sorry. That's hardly a tragedy.

If any current Auto Train customers feel such trivial changes will "hurt" them, I suggest they venture beyond their gated communities into the real world, where millions of Americans are truly hurting.

----------------

My comment wasn't meant to say that the world will come to an end because of these changes. Rather, my comment was directed toward's Amtrak's usual manner of doing business. Instead of looking internally at what they can cut to save pennies, they ALWAYS go directly to passenger service and passenger comfort. People pay a premium for the items they are taking away. Does this mean that, since the premium items are being taken away, now the sleeping car fare will be equally reduced? Of course not! This is what I mean when I say "hurting" passengers. I read that they just hired 40 more on-board service supervisors/managers, which is completely unnecessary. Does the union force them into this? Or is this just piss poor planning by management as usual? They've done the on-board manager thing before---several times as a matter of fact, and IT DOES NOT WORK. It's a waste of money. Eliminate those 40 positions and you won't have to touch Auto Train.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Palmland has presented some constructive thoughts here. First, Amtrak is prepared to follow the airline model of separate pricing for additional service with their priority vehicle handling plan, for which, had it been my intent to do a straight through 13 hour drive Lorton to Home (broke the drive in Akron), I might have 'bit', otherwise 'I get him back when I get him back'.

Now regarding the premium dining option (and possibly same thought for a full Breakfast), what other train theoretically has 240 affluent mouths aboard?. The 370XX cars are properly configured to provide both table and lounge space - can they cook more than the abbreviated menu on the City and Eagle? Of course they can, for one of those was assigned to the ABC News Good Morning America Special. Not sure if Robin Roberts actually chowed down in that car, but I like to think that Disney 'don't do it on the cheap'.

The premium dining would be prebooked. Diners could dine at their pleasure; the existing banquette tables would be for parties of 2 or 3.

Sound great? only one problem, save Acela First, Amtrak is clearly becoming a 'one class fits all'; Sleeper simply represents paying for the additional space and the bed - and not any additional amenities. That's Systemwide - God at 60 Mass hath spoken, bypassing the Pope to Priest chain of command, 'ex-cathedra'.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page