RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Marketing efforts revived?

Author Topic: Amtrak Marketing efforts revived?
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I amazed that after the recent slashing of amenities on LD trains and the sudden departure of the creative Brian Rosenwald Amtrak appears to be making an attempt at marketing. Recent stories have reported on new advertising efforts. Now Amtrak apparently has a new marketing guy. The story is reported by an outfit called Skift - "a travel intelligence company that offers news, information, data and services to professionals in the travel industry and professional travelers to help them make smart decisions about travel".

Here is their interview with the Amtrak marketing VP.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the link, Palmland. I am, however, somewhat troubled by the article.

I think Brian Rosenwald had some good ideas about Amtrak upgrades, future amenities, etc. The Pacific Parlor Car, I feel, really is an enhancement for the Coast Starlight.

http://www.railpac.org/2012/09/27/what-did-i-learn-from-listening-to-amtraks-brian-rosenwald/

I don't know if the "adventure travel" is the best way to go, even though the concept will always be a factor for Amtrak fans. Greater amenities such as Wi-Fi, bistro cars, etc, in my opinion, can help attract a new generation of passengers who want a pleasurable alternative to air or auto travel.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Richard Yukon, why bother offer additional amenities if the Corridor business is there with or without same and the LD's are there simply to provide a national funding base?

As we have noted here, amenities are being removed from LD's - including 'my' Auto Train (I really seem to be the only one around here who regularly uses it), and I for one know that removal will not affect my future patronage ($15 to BYOB in place of Happy Hour; big deal. Turkey Tetrazzini or Lasagna I can live with, and I could care less if I have to eat the same as Coach passengers.

Yes, the Amtrak marketing ad pitch can seem disingenuous with the 'we ain't here to provide the WOOF's with a taxpayer supported excursion', should rightly take, but since the likes of Mr. Rosenwald have left the scene, Amtrak could care less.

I'm sorry, 'Lefties', but I think the 'Pacific Parlour' hath not long to live.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman:

I can't deny your point that maybe the LD's are there only for providing a national funding base.

I will say, at least for me, if they get rid of most amenities, my interest in Amtrak will wane. For me, the Pacific Parlor car is a big reason for taking the Coast Starlight.

I don't know what alternatives there are. If ridership falls on the flagship Starlight, and it's deleted, possibly they could run the Amtrak Cascades to the Bay Area, where it would essentially be a commuter train to the Northwest. Not to my liking, but maybe reality.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cost of a roomette between Seattle and Chicago, Oakland or Los Angeles is roughly equivalent to the cost of an equivalent first class airline ticket to those destinations. So why would I choose the longer trip on the train versus the airline ticket? What value does the train add that the airplane can't match? When I make an LD trip, I want to arrive knowing that I received the equivalent of a first class experience. But I don't need to be pampered with wine and cheese or flowers on the dining table. I want a comfortable trip and a train staff that is engaged with my desire to have an enjoyable trip. I think Amtrak needs to concentrate on demonstrating and delivering the intrinsic value-added features that an LD train trip can provide: the scenery, the social opportunities, good (but not necessarily "fine") dining and the ability to relax and maybe even smile while on a journey. That means delivering on the possibility that my vacation can begin when I step onto the train rather than when I get off the train.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said, Vincent. While I think there is a certain captive demographic for LD sleeper (old, infirmed, or foaming), it's good to see Amtrak going after the 'Adventure Traveler'. Unlike some of the Amtrak hype about record ridership, I've seen plenty of empty rooms on LD trains this year.

As to what they might do to appeal to that type traveler, a couple ideas. I think their interest is in learning about the culture, geography, and history of the land along the route.

So, all LD trains must have wifi that would offer interactive route guides (use RRRich's"?), printed material and perhaps lectures enroute as now featured on some trains. Optional tours would be offered to those spending a night or two at intermediate points, like Glenwood Springs, Winslow, Glacier, San Antonio and other interesting places. Hopefully the menu would change to emphasize healthy alternatives - granola anyone - and in addition to Vincent's points - the equipment must be clean, well maintained, and with some type of writeup on how energy efficient freight and passenger rail is.

Lots of fertile ground here.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me the amenities are nice and I would hate to lose the PPC. But the main reason I am on the LD trains is to get someplace. I cruise out of Seattle or San Diego and I take Amtrak to get there. I will take Amtrak to Boston this fall to cruise.

I love the train but I hate the airplane more. So trains are my preferred method of transportation. I would miss the amenities and think it is a mistake to eliminate them but I will still be on the LD routes.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Amtrak Sleeping Car passengers, in the minds of their ad copy writers, are all of course as healthy as this apparent 'real life' young lady:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kYncfBywPw

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the video link, Gil -- it's a bit outdated, though, since I don't believe the CS (or any other train) still has the "arcade car" or the "movie theatre" in the lower level of the PP car, do they?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
The Amtrak website says that they have Wi-Fi available in the Pacific Parlor Car, only! Is this true? I may take the Starlight #11 this summer and was hoping to have Wi-Fi in my sleeper. I would think they would extend it to sleeping car passengers, if not the whole train.

Richard

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wifi is only in the PPC and it is a bit spotty. But they are offering wifi on the San Joaquins and I would expect it to appear on the CS sooner rather than later.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HopefulRailUser:
Wifi is only in the PPC and it is a bit spotty. But they are offering wifi on the San Joaquins and I would expect it to appear on the CS sooner rather than later.

Maybe not. The San Joaquins are state supported and the state of California is behind the addition of WiFi and the generally good level of service, which appears to be oriented toward the short to medium distance business travel crowd, the medium to somewhat longer "leisure" traveler who really does not want to be on the Dog or any other bus and either does not fly or is going to somewhere not well served by planes, and the electroniclly addicted, which appears to describe most people under 40.

I put leisure in quotes because it is used to describe all non-business travelers, but in reality includes a lot of people traveling for non-business purposes but for any of serveral reasons other than just for the fun of it.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vice Israeli State Railways, which have wi-fi on even the most basic commuter coach service...
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Even if it's a non state supported Amtrak train, I can't believe the cost of Wi-Fi would be that detrimental to Amtrak's budget. I don't know what the cost would be, or how expensive Wi-Fi installation is, but let's get it for a few LD trains, such as the CS. After all, it's just govt. funny money.

Richard

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from the interview in the first post:

quote:
Skift: Are you focusing on a younger digital customer set moving forward? How do you do that?

John Lee: There was internal talk when this [AmtrakLive] was being conceptualized. We were going to put 30 writers that are all wired and connected and techies on a train, but there are parts along the routes from Los Angeles to Austin where coverage is spotty. What do we do if there is no Wi-Fi?

But we want to get this message out about experience. The idea is ‘Why don’t you close that laptop and look out the window and relax?’ If you’re on a plane, your seat has to be upright, your tray table has to be upright. On the train, riders can play a guitar or shoot photos out the window.

There are opportunities to be social, in the real sense of the word. We don’t want them to feel like they have to be connected at all times.

The corridor trains should all be able to offer consistent, high quality wifi; but I think it's fine to have dead spots on the parts of the LD network that aren't on high frequency corridors.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page