RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » LSL 448

Author Topic: LSL 448
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief, where is everybody? Never seen such a quiet forum.

I have been watching the 448 on-time performance to Boston or rather the lack thereof. I took this train once a few years ago and it ran on time.

The train seems to arrive at BOS several hours late on a regular basis which makes for a nasty arrival time in the wee hours. Is this just due to cold and snow which I see is still keeping you easterners busy?

We will be traveling on 448 next October so I am hoping for reasonable weather.

Any of you have experience with this route and maybe can assuage my fears of very late arrival with very little time spent in my very expensive hotel room? It is the weekend of the rowing thing on the river so hotels were at a premium.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just looking around at other Amtrak forums, possible blame goes to track work in upstate NY as well as adverse weather in NY, PA, OH, & IN.

Yes, Vicki, the forum is really dead right now. Any Amtrak stories, quizzes, or jokes out there? I have an Amtrak puzzle, I could post, if anyone would be interested.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for it, Richard! Here are some for starters: Sporcle. It should be noted the quizzes there are user submitted and not verified - one I just played is particularly dubious. But there are some good ones too.

Vicki, as you probably know, it's not called the Late For Sure for nothing. Doesn't help you though, except maybe altering expectations appropriately.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deleted the duplicate of this thread. That did have Smitty's discussion of the toilets in the Viewliner roomette.

I knew that and have a bedroom anyway. AGR points, aren't they grand?

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak Puzzle:

-

Eight passengers board the Empire Builder, in Chicago, headed west. Four of the passengers are men; John, Seth, Edwin, & Paul. Four are women; Jenny, Karen, Barbara, & Megan. Their surnames are: Cramer, Gibson, Jones, Hughes, Monroe, Sosa, Finnerty, & Invanovich.

They are in a coach car and occupy seats A through H, as shown in the illustration, above.

The eight passengers have eight different destinations; Glenview, Milwaukee, Columbus, Portage, Tomah, La Crosse, Winona, & St. Paul.

Based on the following clues, can you figure the first & last names of each passenger, in each seat (A-H), and each passenger's destination?
1. Passengers in window seats are Mr. Cramer, Ms. Finnerty, a person going to St. Paul, and Paul.

2. Karen's seat is next to, and on the same side of the aisle, as Barbara's; the one surnamed Gibson is going to Portage.

3. John's seat is immediately in front of Ms. Ivanovich; the one surnamed Hughes is seated immediately behind the one going to Winona; the one going to Milwaukee is immediately in front of passenger Jones.

4. Jenny Monroe is seated directly across the aisle from Karen.

5. Seat "A" is occupied by the one going to Columbus; He or she is sitting by the person going to La Crosse, who is immediately in front of Seth.

6. The person going to Tomah, who is in a window seat, ISN'T seated immediately behind the person going to Milwaukee.

I'll post the solution in a few days.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so terrible at these types of puzzles! I'll sit back and watch this one to see who gets it. I know I won't!

Vicki: Glad to hear you're in a bedroom. Whew!

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh I like these logic puzzles (or at least when I start). I'll PM the answer later if I work it out.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time for a little 'Colonel Mustard did it' around here.

It appears that the board game 'Clue' is still marketed by Hasboro (successor to Parker Bros).

Interesting how once upon a time 'Running Man' was considered a clue. If such were the case around my parts, as well as same for many others here, an awful lot of folk would be spending their nights in the clink rather than in their McMansions.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I HATE these "logic puizzles!" I can spend hours on them and not figure them out, but my stepdaughter used to buy entire books of these and work on them all the time (and solve them!).
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with you, Rich. I can never figure them out. To me, this is a mathematical problem (to ME, I don't know if it is). And I am horrible at math---always have been. It's just like those things that show up on Facebook where you're supposed to stare at some random image and then all of a sudden "you see it". Well, everyone always sees it---except me.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Not really mathematical, more just eliminating possibilities. For example, (1) Mr. Cramer can only be in seats A, D, E, or H. Another clue will either directly restrict that selection further, or be restricted by other people taking three of those seats. Seth must be in seat F from clue (5). Seth therefore can't be Mr. Cramer. And so on. It usually helps to have a grid so pairs can be spotted.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have now submitted a solution to Richard by Private Message.

The easiest way to do this I think is to do like they do on the various TV Cop Shows; put all the components on something at which you can move them about such as the Cop Show Bulletin Board or on a computer screen on which you can move the 26 components (8 given names, 8 surnames, 8 destinations, 2 genders = 26) about with drag and drop or cut and paste to the seat chart as provided.

But with that having been said, I have no assurance I am correct.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman:

I received your private message and made a reply. Let me know if you didn't get it.

I will give the solution on Friday.

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I have it Richard; let's now kill both of these heads up messages.

Have also noted the error of my ways.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought after reading all that and looking at the grid, that the puzzle final question was going to be something like, "What is the engineer's name, and at what time and station will he go 'illegal'"?
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mike, I have found, from both knowing the airline flight mpersonnel I have as well as being in the railroad industry, 'legal' seems to be the term within the airline industry. 'Expired', 'overboard', 'dead', are those I known on the railroad.
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Legal/illegal is a perfectly normal term to use in respect to hours of service. Listen to enough railroad radio and you'll hear it now and again. On the other hand, I can't say I recall hearing "overboard". Could be a regional thing.

--------------------
Geoff M.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got my email today from Amtrak telling me about the elimination of amenities on my upcoming LD trips. Sigh.

--------------------

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Mayo, I wholly agree that on every railroad property there are slang terms for one particular event, i.e. in this instance expiration of duty time under the Hours of Service law. There could even be some slang terms within the airline industry as well; but with United, on whom I have done all my flying since 2009 not that much), and all the wonderful friends and heads up clients I have had within the airline industry are and have been with United, the term appears to be 'legal'.

Finally, back on railroads, let us not go there with the various terms out there for derailment.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Solution to the Amtrak puzzle:

For those who don't work logic puzzles, very often, you will find, as the puzzle gets more difficult, you get to a point where you have to guess at something. You have to make a guess then work the puzzle assuming the guess is correct. If you guess wrong, there eventually will be inconsistencies with your answers and the puzzle clues.

You can start by first trying to figure out where Mr. Cramer is seated. From clue #1 he must be in either seat A,D,E, or H. If you try putting Mr. Cramer in seat D, and work out the puzzle, you should work out a solution contrary to a clue(s)Eventually, there will not be a problem with Mr. Cramer in seat A. Then, with Mr. Cramer in A, try working the puzzle with Ms. Finnerty in seats D, E, & H. You should find that Ms. Finnerty has to be in seat D. Eventually you should get:

A = Mr. Cramer
D = Ms. Finnerty
E = passenger going to St. Paul
H = Paul

If you look at clue #2 & clue #4, Karen is next to Barbara and across the aisle from Jenny Monroe.
Karen can't be in B because Mr. Cramer (male) is in seat A. Karen can't be in seat F because (clue #5) seat A is going to Columbus, who is sitting next to (B) person going to La Crosse, who is immediately in front of Seth (male, seat F).
Karen can' be in G because she is sitting across from Jenny and Jenny (female) can't be in F. Thus, Karen has to be in seat C, sitting next to Barbara (clue #2) in seat D, and Karen is across from Jenny Monroe in seat B.

As you know females are in seats B, C, & D (Jenny, Karen, & Barbara), Ms. Invanovich must be Megan (seat E).

Clue #3 says Hughes is immediately behind person going to Milwaukee. As you now know seat A is going to Columbus and seat B is going to La Crosse, Hughes has to be in either seat G or H.
Clue #3 also says the one going to Milwaukee is immediately in front of Jones. Milwaukee has to be either C or D, so Jones has to be in either G or H. Thus, Hughes and Jones are in seats G & H, in some order. Clue #3 says Milwaukee is in front of Jones, with Hughes behind the passenger going to Winona, you now know that seats C & D are the passengers going to Milwaukee and Winona, in some order.

Clue #6 says the person going to Tomah has a window seat. The only seat that person could occupy is seat H. Clue #6 says the Tomah person isn't behind the passenger going to Milwaukee, so seat C is going to Milwaukee and seat D is going to Winona. Clue #3 says the one going to Milwaukee is immediately in front of Jones, so Seat G is Jones and seat H is Hughes. Clue #2 has Gibson going to Portage. Thus Portage can't be seat G or H, and F is Invanovich, so Gibson has to be in seat F, and is Seth Gibson (clue #5). Since Paul is in H, that means Edwin has to be in seat G.

Seat F is Ms. Ivanovich. You now know Karen, Barbara, and Jenny are not in F, so Megan (Ivanovich) is in seat F. Edwin also has to be in seat G. The only surname left is Sosa, so that has to be Karen's last name. Last destination left is Glenview, so Glenview emust be Edwin Jones in G.

In summary:

A = John Cramer, Columbus

B = Jenny Monroe, La Crosse

C = Karen Sosa, Milwaukee

D = Barbara Finnerty, Winona

E = Megan Ivanovich, St. Paul

F = Seth Gibson, Portage

G = Edwin Jones, Glenview

H = Paul Hughes, Tomah

I got this puzzle from a logic puzzle magazine. The puzzle did have passengers aboard a passenger train. I changed one of the categories to stops along the Empire Builder route, to make the puzzle more Amtrakish.

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Richard can confirm my score, but of the 26 variables, I got 19; so I guess I got a 73. No sooner than I Pushed click to send Richard my solution, I had an 'uh, oh' moment, but knowing from 16 years of formal education, that once you submit your test paper, there is no pulling it back.

Hate to say it, but had a few of such moments after walking out of the CPA exam room.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye-yi-yi-yi-yi!!!!!!!

Nope, these puzzles are not for me!!!! [Confused]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:
Legal/illegal is a perfectly normal term to use in respect to hours of service. Listen to enough railroad radio and you'll hear it now and again. On the other hand, I can't say I recall hearing "overboard". Could be a regional thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Mr. Mayo, I wholly agree that on every railroad property there are slang terms for one particular event, i.e. in this instance expiration of duty time under the Hours of Service law. There could even be some slang terms within the airline industry as well; but with United, on whom I have done all my flying since 2009 not that much), and all the wonderful friends and heads up clients I have had within the airline industry are and have been with United, the term appears to be 'legal'.

Finally, back on railroads, let us not go there with the various terms out there for derailment. [/QB]

Mr Norman, I said railroad radio, not airline radio. You are incorrectly admonishing Mike for using a phrase which is used in the RR business, official or otherwise.

As to the logic puzzle, I ran out of time (bought a house so there was much paperwork involved).

--------------------
Geoff M.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page