RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » PTJ Article on Amtrak Expansion

Author Topic: PTJ Article on Amtrak Expansion
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill613a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The recent (2014-1) edition of PASSENGER TRAIN JOURNAL has an article discussing the possibilities of expanded Amtrak service using the current resources. While in some respects it does seem to be trying to nudge Amtrak on some of the PRIIA recommendations of recent years (e.g. thru NYC-CHI cars on the CAPITOL/PENNSYLVANIAN) it does offer some ideas that were not in the PRIIA reports.

One plan is to route the CNO via St. Louis. Another non LD idea is to extend the CHI-QUINCY trains to St. Louis via Hannibal, MO. Better utilization of the CAPITOL equipment would have the train extended to Norfolk. They are soliciting readers comments which will be discussed in the 2014-2 edition.

Two suggestions that come readily to mind are splitting the SILVER METEOR at Jacksonville into Tampa via Orlando and Miami via the FEC sections and extending the VERMONTER to Montreal. Maybe this effort will get some response from Amtrak

Posts: 37 | From: LAKEWOOD, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Bill, even though I do not subscribe to PTJ, and feel a bit guilty about not doing so in that I've known Mike Schaffer face to face for well over forty years, the proposed expansions appear to be incremental in nature and scope and could be reasonably accomplished with a minimal amount of additional equipment. I commend Mike and staff for apparently not going on a railfan fantasy ride.

But I sure gotta note, resurrection of the Zephyr Rocket would be a long one. I rode it Cedar Rapids-St Louis during Jan 1962, and save a Coach and a Sleeper, it was a Mail & Express operation. Within weeks of when I rode, the Sleeper got whacked.

Regarding a reroute of the City to serve St Louis, one must wonder if the new station is configured properly to allow a run through without back ups. Also, let us be mindful that bridges represent choke points in the handling of traffic - and there would be two additional X-ings needed for each train. Further, would Illinois step up to the plate and fund an additional CHI-CDL to replace the City?

It is true that it appears to be a waste to have a Superliner equipment set needed to protect the Capitol Limited on its present schedule laying around Wash for 25 some hours. Since 'Virginia is for TRAIN lovers' and state coffers (with some 'Feddyhelp') have already paid for the infrastructure to operate such a service (dig out the Wash First Street tunnel for bi-level cars; the SAL-N&W interchange at Petersburg), it could be done. But would there be enough revenue generated by a train roundly running on the markers of the existing train?

It still seems the best way to better utilize equipment assigned to the Capitol Limited would be to adopt the B&O Shenandoah's Eastbound schedule , i.e. swapping such with the Lake Shore, but the downside to that is Wash Union Station is no longer the 'cavern' it was on A-Day - and there would go the proposed 30-PGH-42 through cars, which seems the most reasonable of any of these proposals.

Amtrak over the FEC? Lots of 'talk talk talk, but not too much in the way of 'walk walk walk'.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, what about my proposed extension of the Pere Marquette from Grand Rapids up to Cadillac and Kalkaska (25 miles from my home)?

(don't worry, Gil -- I'm not serious!)

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill613a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one is suggesting the ZEPHYR ROCKET be resurrected. Extending #381 the 18 miles to Hannibal would still allow the equipment to return as #382. Even if this was run as a trial on weekends only the city of Hannibal and the Missouri DOT would probably be willing to give it a try.
Posts: 37 | From: LAKEWOOD, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
But I sure gotta note, resurrection of the Zephyr Rocket would be a long one.

Bill, you do have a point with your immediate; and likely 'resurrection of any portion of the Zephyr Rocket route' would have better expressed the thought I wished to convey.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Zephyr Rocket made a nice connection at St. Louis with Frisco's St. Louis to Memphis part of the Sunnyland, which was coaches only in 1962, and I don't know for how long before that. It made a good Twin Cities to Memphis move without going through Chicago.

I thought part of the Zephyr Rocket route had been abandoned.

If we want to add a north-south train mid country, I would think a Twin Cities to Kansas City train on the Twin Star Rocket route would make more sense. It should be a connection to the Southwest Chief. Nice if it could extend to Texas.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Here is the Rock Island 'Route of the Zephyr Rocket' X-ing the C&NW in Cedar Rapids nowadays.

Obviously, that bridge is not about to support any kind of locomotive, and today such is a bicycle trail.

However, the bridge on the UP you see is over the Cedar River and was the last of single track 'choke points' on the C&NW. C&NW never had the $$$ to double track that bridge, but UP of course did. Now when UP wanted to demolish the masonry culvert and approached the electric utility that then owned the ROW, 'somebody didn't like somebody' at the negotiating table, and so the project languished for almost ten years until 'new players' were in place.

bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
On the inside cover of the current Amtrak timetable is a picture of a Marine standing on the platform of the Brookhaven, Mississippi station. While many military personnel travel on Amtrak there are no major movements of them between their duty stations.

Extension of #29 & 30 to Norfolk would not only better utilize the equipment but would also provide a one seat ride for Naval personnel between America's largest Naval base (Norfolk) and the Great Lakes Naval basic training center which is just north of Chicago (and also near the METRA line.)

Using the present times in and out of DC along with the present Norfolk-DC travel times the eastbound train would leave at around 10:30am and the westbound train would get in around 6:00pm. Good times for both the long distance and DC-Norfolk traveler. I do think the CAPITOL schedule overall needs some tweaking to get better times in and out of Pittsburgh and to be rerouted between Toledo and Chicago via Fort Wayne but that's another post.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bill -- I think the picture inside the AMTRAK timetable was taken at Meridian, Mississippi, not Brookhaven.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just don't see why we can't build a vast network of super-duper passenger train lines that go really fast in the daytime to satisfy harrumphing business-types, and really slow on nights and weekends, with sleeping cars and dining cars and such, to please all the nostalgic, sentimental, 'days-of-yesteryear' buffs. And the trains should all be painted in well-known heritage liveries, like the "Tallulah, Bankhead & Western", etc. And all the big cities should have grandiose, monumental, multi-track terminals festooned with Doric columns and gargoyles, and outfitted with machines that pump in clouds of steam at periodic intervals down on the platforms. And they should hire actors dressed up as returning GI's that go around kissing women; and sad, weeping, forlorn, indigent Great Depression types with rucksacks piled around them who you can pose your kids with for dramatic photo ops; and Gatsby-style 20's era cardsharps, hooligans, and flappers, and so on, and so forth. And every now and then some guys dressed up like Keystone cops should chase a creaky, old antique baby carriage down a huge flight of marble steps amidst a staged gangster shootout. And, of course, there has to be a portly station master with a booming voice who's really good at saying, "All Abooooaaaarrrrdddd!" Maybe that Darth Vader actor from Star Wars could do it? Oh! And I almost forgot! USB ports! There should plenty of USB ports!

And on a perhaps deeply personal note, it would be nice if they had blueberry pancakes. I've always been rather fond of blueberry pancakes.

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dns8560:
I just don't see why we can't build a vast network of super-duper passenger train lines that go really, really fast in the daytime to satisfy harrumphing business-types, and really slow on nights and weekends, with sleeping cars and dining cars and such, to please all the nostalgic, sentimental, 'days-of-yesteryear' buffs.

M.O.N.E.Y, MONEY, money

Beyond specific high traffic interurban corridors, and perhaps some connections between them the cost far exceeds that which could be justified by the demand.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Loved dns8560 post. Nice to see a little humor on the forum. Sometimes we, myself included, take all this a little too seriously.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dns8560, many of the scenarios you proposed in stations were, in fact, performed when the remodeled St. Paul Union Depot had a Grand Opening. If this link works, here is an image of the actors.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t31.0-8/474351_386824748068472_815641172_o.jpg

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The link works! Thanks for sharing it! I guess I would have liked to have been there!

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A proposal was floated to re-schedule the Capitol Limited so that it would only use two train sets.

The plan would have it arriving into Washington DC at around 12 noon (as was once done during David Gunn's term in office) and then having it depart at 5:30 pm (again, this was the schedule at one time during the Gunn administration). It's only an overnight train between Washington DC and Chicago. Most are going to Pittsburgh or Washington DC. The current schedule was adopted once the Three Rivers was dropped, and thus Pittsburgh was left with only one through train to Chicago/Washington DC. Now Amtrak could put this schedule of the Capitol Limited back on the table, IF through cars were established for the Capitol Limited (and pre-boarding of passengers at Pittsburgh was allowed etc.). Eastbound it would be a little more difficult, since the Capitol Limited would have to leave Chicago around 5:45 pm. and arrive into Pittsburgh around the unfriendly passenger hour of 4 am. But perhaps passengers would be allowed to "stay onboard" till 7 am - half hour before the Pennsylvanian departs.

Amtrak's not adopted many of the PRIIA recommendations that would likely help the train out, but on long distance and corridor trains.

Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Rich---I think you could be right. Mea culpa.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Thanks, Bill -- yeah, that "AN" on the visible part of the station sign (not "EN") gave it away!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page