RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Anybody with knowledge of NYC/Jersey City, please?

Author Topic: Anybody with knowledge of NYC/Jersey City, please?
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning from a beautifully sunny spring morning here in England!

Hopefully somebody will have some local knowledge and can help out here.

A friend of a friend of a friend is going to Las Vegas with a large group for a wedding in late August. However, as the airfare is the biggest outlay and this is likely to be a once-in-a-lifetime trip four of them want to stay on for about a fortnight to see some more of America whilst they are there.

They are not youngsters (the youngest is 40, the oldest 65) and whilst they won't be scrimping they will on a limited budget, but
knowing my American experience they were pointed in my direction. They don't want to hire a car unless essential and are happy using public transport.

I've roughed out a few ideas for them based on what they want to/must see and have suggested:

1. Day trip by bus from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon
2. As I assume train service from LVS is not going to happen any time soon Amtrak bus from LVS to LAX for three nights in LA (Hollywood studio tour is a must)
3. Surfliner to Grover Beach for two nights in Pismo (they want a couple of days small town beach chill time)
4. Train/Amtrak bus to SJC then Caltrain to SFO for three nights there.
5. Amtrak bus across the bridge to pick up the CZ to Denver. They love my holiday photos of the Rockies and the idea of a long distance train and are happy to do one overnight in coach (I've told them that if they want to get a sleeper they need to book asap before the price rockets!)
6. Overnight in Denver then fly to New York for three nights before flying home.

And this last part is where there is a gap in my knowledge - I've been through 25 of the 50 states (plus the District of Columbia) but never been to New York.

If I go to a new place I always stay in a known chain hotel the first time, and then do my research on the ground as to any more convenient (and cheaper!) alternatives for any future trips, so I have been able to recommend suitable hotels in the other locations. Whilst I don't doubt that there are many suitable places to stay in NYC I wouldn't want them to end up in an unsuitable location, especially as they aren't as "streetwise" as I would like.

The chain hotels anywhere near the centre are going to be (as with any major city) very expensive, but looking at the map, Jersey City seems a convenient alternative, especially as it's near the Statue of Liberty and seems to have a good train service across to Manhatten.

The Hilton Doubletree in JC seems a very economical possibility (they are happy to share one room for the four of them).

Also, can you get a 72 hour combined service transit/rover pass in SFO/NYC or similar, and for the latter would they be valid across the river or in NYC only?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Williams, since this site is West Coast oriented (just as is Railroad Net East), it is not surprising that there have been no responses to date to your very sensible inquiry - I for one, was out of town.

Staying over in Jersey is nothing new; in fact enough Fortune 500 'lowerlings' and 'middlelings' find themselves having to do just that and commute to their out of town worksites in Manhattan. Any of us who have been with a railroad or in Civil Service 'know the drill' first hand, even though I have stayed in Manhattan on the MILW's dime, but my time and expenses were billed to another party. The days of 'baloney at home and steak on the road' are in the 'Don Draper past'.

As you have already learned, the major brand hotel chains all have properties in Hudson, Bergen, and Morris counties and nearby to mass transit second only to what you have available on the UK rail systems.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The PATH (a subway system) connects Jersey City and Manhattan.

Once PATH trains reach Manhattan, they operate independently from New York City's subway system. However, most Manhattan PATH stations (there are only a handful) are adjacent to -- or within a few blocks of -- a subway station. Transfering from the PATH to the NYC subway requires paying a separate fare.

Your friends should buy a New York City MTA MetroCard (a standard subway fare card, also good on NYC bus routes). Metrocards in various denominations can be purchased from machines at every NYC Subway station.

Cheaper Metrocards (only good for one round trip) can be purchased at PATH stations in Jersey City. For more extensive traveling, your friends would need to buy larger-denomination MetroCards at a NYC subway station after they arrive in Manhattan. Regardless of the denomination, MetroCards can be used for travel on both systems.

Avoid purchasing the PATH's own "Smartlink" card, which cannot be used on the NYC subway.

A ferry also runs between Jersey City and Manhattan. However, it's more expensive and the service is more sporadic, especially at night.

NJ PATH

MTA/NYC subway fare page

NY Waterway ferry

Note: Your friends will also notice an above-ground, tram-like light rail system, which wends its way through Jersey City. These trams serve New Jersey only. They do not cross the Hudson River or enter New York City.
------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All 3-star and up hotels in Jersey City are along the Hudson River in reasonably safe neighborhoods, adjoining lots of upmarket condo, apartment and office (Goldman Sachs, etc.) complexes.

I've stayed at the DoubleTree in JC and recommend it. I've also stayed at the Hyatt and Westin there and recommend them too. All are usually considerably less expensive than their counterparts on Manhattan.

The weekday NY Waterway ferries are wonderful--a royal way to approach NYC, with service both to midtown and lower Manhattan. The PATH service that dilly mentioned is great too.

Re. the Grand Canyon, be sure the day tour goes to the south rim, not the west rim, which has more muted colors. Ideally, one should overnight at the canyon because sunrise and sunset are by far the best times to view it.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MargaretSPfan
Member # 3632

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MargaretSPfan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Williams --
If your friends have time, they really should make time to see the redwoods up here in northern CA. They are stunning.

Posts: 211 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the redwoods.

Here's an easy way --

http://www.grayline.com/tours/san-francisco/muir-woods-sausalito-tour-5966_3/#.U1Wybl68lws

The above offers an option of returning to San Francisco by ferry. Please have your friends do this. The views are spectacular. These are run by the Golden Gate transit system and are not expensive.

http://www.goldengateferry.org

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your replies.

The 65 year old in particular knows that this will almost certainly be her one and only chance to see the Grand Canyon but she also wants to do the Hollywood studio tour, Alcatraz, the Rockies, Statue of Liberty etc etc. Unfortunately there's only so much they can do in the available time (and budget) and they've already had to cut Chicago and Boston from their plans so whilst they thought about spending several days at the Grand Canyon something had to go and they'll just have to make do with the day trip.

The idea of seeing the redwoods is one that they like, and as it includes a trip across the Golden Gate Bridge and the ferry back from Sausalito they can kill several birds with one stone! They definitely want to take a trip to Alcatraz so a hotel near Fisherman's Wharf is now probably their best choice for a base, especially as the Amtrak bus to connect to the CZ also leaves from there.

They're going to have a sleeper on the train (2 x 2 sharing), which adds about $225 each to the cost, but when you take into account the meals that are included it's not that unreasonable.

Is dinner prior to arrival in Denver included for eastbound passengers (scheduled arrival 6.38pm)? Obviously they would have to have an early sitting unless the train was running late, but I wondered if they tried to dissuade Denver passengers if the train was on time or even early. Is it a case of tipping the restaurant manager at lunchtime to make sure they get in early?

They've got their ESTAs done and approved, the flights are booked so now it's just a case of filling in the gaps and waiting for the end of August!

Thanks again for your help.

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Williams -- the last time I rode the CZ eastbound was 2 years ago, and it was running on time. I believe the first dinner seating was immediately after departure from Denver, if I remember correctly.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Ah, I suspected as much - thanks RRRich - the website advertises that dinner is usually available from 5pm but, like breakfast on the westbound, if they can get around it then so be it!
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last year we were on the eastbound CZ into Denver. We took the early seating, I believe 5:00, and had plenty of time to eat before arrival even tho we were a few minutes early.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Because the climb down into Denver--you gradually gain elevation appropriating the highest point of the Rockies from the west, but plunge down on the other side--ranks as a highlight of the trip, the your friend may wish to keep his seat on the left side of the sightseer car and enjoy dinner later or beg for a seat on the left side of the dining car.

Leaving Glenwood Springs station is another great time to sit on the left in the sightseer car (get there early). The Colorado River weaving through Glenwood Canyon is spectacular and passengers usually notice lots of "bears," and I am not talking about the animals. Lots of laughter.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page