RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Goodbye, Midway! Hello, SPUD!

Author Topic: Goodbye, Midway! Hello, SPUD!
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak moves into St. Paul Union Depot
Written by Douglas John Bowen

inShare

Amtrak moves into St. Paul Union Depot
Amtrak's westbound Empire Builder may be struggling on its way across North Dakota, but it called on a new home in St. Paul, Minn., on Wednesday, May 7, 2014, stopping for passengers to disembark, or board, at newly restored Union Depot.

The first eastbound Empire Builder was scheduled to arrive at the station early Thursday, at 8:00 a.m.

Amtrak President Joseph Boardman was in St. Paul Wednesday, joining officials with Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority (RCRRA), the owners of Union Depot, and federal, state, and local officials, to herald the event.

The new stop replaces service at the former Midway Station between St. Paul and Minneaspolis, which Amtrak said "no longer has any public functions." It also presages complementary Green Line light rail transit service expected to commence next month; the Green Line links Union Depot with St. Paul points and Minneapolis' existing Blue Line (Hiawatha Line) LRT. Metro Transit and MVTA bus sevice also will be accessible from Union Depot.

"We know from experience that travel brings business – and that stations bring business to the surrounding community," Boardman said. "While we're celebrating the fact that today the people of the Twin Cities will now have more travel choices than ever before, we can also celebrate the fact that they have a station that's also an engine – an engine of economic development for the surrounding neighborhood and historic district."

"It's a great day to welcome passenger rail back to St. Paul, and no better place to do it than the historic Union Depot—a building that would have met the wrecking ball if not for the leadership of its many champions from the County Board to the White House," said St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman. "The Amtrak opening today and the Green Line opening in just a few weeks is proof that transportation investments are critical to economic growth and regional prosperity.

Though the Empire Builder is currently the only Amtrak service calling on Union Depot, that could change fairly soon. Amtrak said it will soon deliver a report to the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) measuring an additional round-trip between St. Paul and Chicago, one of four passenger rail corridors being considered by the state.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the photos I've seen, it would appear Amtrak has the trackage in the depot to do any necessary switching. I don't know if the fuel truck could access the lower level but it is a mystery to me why Amtrak retains the expense and time required to continue to use Midway for servicing and crew change.

After all, into the 60's, eight railroads used the terminal with over a dozen trains each way and many cars being switched between trains. I can only guess that the new owners had too high a price for Amtrak to use it as it was intended. In the future perhaps Midway will be the new coach yard for various intercity trains. Twin Star Rocket, anyone?

But in any event, I'm very glad it was resurrected and look forward to my next EB trip.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Palmland, I am at a loss to see where the Railway Age article pasted in its entirety notes that servicing the Builder will continue at the 'no further public use' Midway facility.

However, likely this will be the case.

Lest we forget, SPUD was simply an intermediate stop for the MILW, on whose tracks the Builder has operated since A-Day, but now makes a station stop at SPUD. The MILW's 'terminal' facility was Minneapolis, which today is a Marriott Renaissance hotel. Therefore it is not likely Amtrak has acquired sufficient space at SPUD, even if available in its new intermodal configuration, to provide service facilities, including handling 807-08 cars when operated, for the Builder.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to the ticket agent I talked to at SPUD today (National Train Day), the Builder will roll right through Midway, unless they have PV's to deal with. Several PV's are stored there most of the time because of the hookups. There is no refueling between CHI and Minot. They will probably still be hopping out of the train to hand throw switches at Midway. But what's time to an Empire Builder?

What frustrates me is that SPUD will be only a 7 minute stop. It would be nice if through passengers could run up and see the depot on their way through. I do that at KC often.

There has been more local news coverage than I have been able to keep up with. I just missed watching the last #8 at Midway near my house because it actually made up time after running 5 hours late. That Ambox is really a dump and needs to be retired.

They actually set up bleachers at SPUD for foamers to watch the first arrivals, and there is a "rail fan picnic area".

Here is some local coverage with some nice video embedded: http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_25725057/amtrak-rail-lines-look-address-delays

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page