RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » I am ENROUTE now!!!

Author Topic: I am ENROUTE now!!!
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, Guys -- off to a good start so far. I'm at the Quality Inn in Portland now (not exactly Mr. Norman's style, but certainly adequate for me.) The Empire Builder got in today about 10 minutes before the S-bd Starlight left!! I will be going out tomorrow on #11.

Sure has been cold so far, not like it usually is in Montana and ND this time of year. And WOW! That BNSF high line is a MESS!!!!!!!! Endless track work and way too many freights, but I know those things are necessary.

The laptop works fine, and I get wi-fi where I'm supposed to. But I HATE Windows 8.1 -- I keep losing my directory for the CD drive and can't figure out how to get it back, plus I am such a poor typist, the system beeps and chimes at me when I hit a wrong key (which apparently is QUITE often!!). It's taken me about 20 minutes just to write this post!!!

I'm off to dinner at Stanford's pretty soon, then back on AMTRAK tomorrow. I wanted to have lunch today at Wilf's at Portland Union Station, but they are not open on weekends.

I'll have a complete trip report in a month or two, after I finish my "semi-production" DVD of the trip. I'll update you when I can while I am enroute.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, back in the barn now, but last night was in a Suite at Westin in Downtown Indianapolis. It was a Suite as I was entertaining my friends there (the wonderful gal who supported me through two of the surgeries and her husband; another gal did a last minute flakeout on us - had some Grandchildren dumped on her last minute)- and of course went to Ruth's Chris.

I was disappointed that the view was Lucas Oil Stadium rather than the Capitol, but could see Union Station - view of any rail action was obscured, but about 11PM I'd swear I heard an Amtrak horn - just might have been 850, Hoosier State.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
I was disappointed that the view was Lucas Oil Stadium rather than the Capitol, but could see Union Station - view of any rail action was obscured, but about 11PM I'd swear I heard an Amtrak horn - just might have been 850, Hoosier State.

I doubt it. For one thing a Saturday departure from Chicago is the Cardinal (#50), not the Hoosier State (#850). Secondly, it didn't arrive until 12:55am this morning. It's also unlikely to arrive more than 20 minutes early or so (so around 11:30pm at the earliest) as there isn't much padding from the previous station.

I grant you one possibility: that an engine from the sheds at Beech Grove came out early to meet the Cardinal to take some dead-heading equipment back to the sheds.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Sure has been cold so far, not like it usually is in Montana and ND this time of year. And WOW! That BNSF high line is a MESS!!!!!!!! Endless track work and way too many freights, but I know those things are necessary.

Sounds like a great trip. I was browsing the status map yesterday and noticed one of the Builders was over 11 hours late. Busy or not, that really is horrendous. Too many trains and not enough track is risking a meltdown UP Texas style. I bet the crew vans are busy picking up engineers dead on the hours of service laws.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, you hit up Ruth's Chris again! What was your entree order, GBN? Did they have bone-in filet on the menu?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRich- nice to see a train/railroad related discussion. The EB trip we were on last year was close to on time - amazing how quickly things change. I think the large fall wheat harvest and then the tough winter put it all over the edge.

Regarding the CS, I wonder if during the interim it of the late EB arrivals/departures if it would make sense to split the CS in Emeryville to provide a later connection from the EB in Portland and then on the LA segment an earlier arrival in LA to connect to the SWC/Sunset.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cowboy Steak, but it was more than I should have ordered. Meg had brought some wonderful appetizers, some chicken sticks with a recipie known only to her family, along with two bottles, and with Jeannie doing a last minute 'scrub', there were simply too many, but drinking and watching World Cup, too many went down.

I admit to being 'buzzed' walking back to Westin from Ruth's, but that is why we all take rooms - with of course the Suite being mine.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Palmland, that is a great idea that I have suggested around these parts in the past. Through passengers,could still make connections at MTZ with a San Joaquin (remember volks, most simply want a ride for less cost than to fly). That could even open the possibility of having 12-13 become a SFO-LAX train without Sleepers simply burning up miles.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE FLASH!!!!!!!! --10 AM today PT. The Starlight hit a kid in Fairfield and killed him. We are stuck in Fairfield now for at least 2 hours waiting for the police, coroner, etc. And the CS was already 2 1/2 hrs late due to numerous freight delays yesterday (but left Portland on time). We will be stuck here for at least 2 hours, and I won't get to Santa Barbara until about midnight, I believe.

Worst timekeeping ever.... worse than the EB. I missed the mountain scenery on the Empire Builder because of delays -- I missed the Cascade Mtn scenery on the CS because of delays -- I'll probably miss most of the Pacific Coast scenery today because of delays..

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
By now, I'd be contemplating a 'bail out'; I know that any of my six fig income seven fig net worth 'McMansionite' neighbors, would have bailed out.

No wonder I would never recommend LD travel to any of them.

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh wow, you're that late? You will not see any of the coast in daylight---I just don't see how you could possibly get there in time.

It's 1325 right now---are you on the move yet, or still stuck in Fairfield?

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
GBN: Sounds like a great night! Absolutely love that restaurant.
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Just checked Amtrak.com. It looks like they departed Martinez, so they must be on the move again. However, haven't made it to Emeryville yet. Estimating EMY at 1319, which was 10 minutes ago.

I hope they don't run out of food. They could easily call ahead and have the Oakland Amtrak Commissary re-stock the diner and lounge car---I hope they thought of that.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
We left San Jose about 3 hr 20 minutes late
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
We left San Jose about 5 hr 20 minutes late
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
UPDATE time!! Sorry I didn't get back here earlier, but my computer acted up, so today, while in L.A. Union Station, I paid $25 each way for a taxicab ride to the nearest Geek Squad (Best Buy), in Glendale ,and they fixed it in about 2 minutes. A very very EASY fix, which I should have known about.........

Anyway, I arrived in SBA at 11:30 last night (5 1/2 hrs late) and checked in at Hotel Indigo next door -- kind of a strange place, and a really small room! Good enough for ol' RR Rich here, though!!!

We had numerous additional delays on #11 yesterday after the grade crossing incident -- as we all know, "late trains get later."

Took #774 from SBA to LAX this AM -- pretty much on time until we got to Ventura, then we became 15-20 minutes late. Going out on #4 tonight, but right now I'm headed to Phillipe's for a late lunch.

More updates later, but probably not until Chicago on Thursday.....

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

It's tempting to head out to see you at Victorville but I suspect you won't get this message until too late! I'll check back about 8pm - if you've replied by then I'll go down there. Which car number?

--------------------
Geoff M.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Anyway, I arrived in SBA at 11:30 last night (5 1/2 hrs late) and checked in at Hotel Indigo next door -- kind of a strange place, and a really small room! Good enough for ol' RR Rich here, though!!!

Indigo, an Intercontinental brand that appears to be a 'poor man's knock off' of Starwood's 'W'.

I stayed at 'one of sorts' Thanx two years ago in Fishers, IN. Of sorts means that the property was converted from an Indigo to a Holiday Inn Express some two weeks earlier. Needless to say it had all the varying Blue shades throughout, and a decor I would not pay one dime extra to be around.

Apparently, the owners of this property realized there was no market for a specialty brand in a town like Fishers (NE of Indy); a desk clerk shared with me they could never keep a bartender (no business; no tips) and the full service restaurant often had only one table served at Dinner.

One time was enough; there is a Hampton much closer to my friends' home located on the shore of the Geist Reservoir.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRich--

I'm glad you finally made it to SBA. I'm back in town today and it's been a beautiful day with no "June Gloom" to speak of.

As for the Hotel Indigo, I was surprised that it is part of the IHG chain. It was, in a previous life what can only be described as a transient/flop house property. Did you try the restaurant/bar? From what I hear it's doing well.

Hopefully your trip tonight was on time.

Frank back in sunny and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
I have never stayed at a 'W' property; only once had an overpriced drink (served by scanty eye candy) at the one in the Loop that used to be the Midland Hotel, and that offered 'railfan rates' (mention a code appearing in ads placed in any of the railfan rags).

Frank's observation would suggest that the IHG business model for Indigo is much the same as Starwood's for 'W' - buy up older properties, darken the motif, lower the lights and raise both the rates and hemlines of the service staff.

Sorry, haven't got too much use for that kind of lodging. This year, it looks like IHG's Crowne Plaza will be my 'champ' with most nights stayed - three nights in Atlanta during April, six more scheduled next month in Salzburg.

Finally, I am becoming less in love with the Marriott Courtyard brand and have written two reviews in TripAdvisor discussing why (one sentence: they are focusing the brand towards a much younger segment than mine).

Addendum: here is an article appearing in Tuesday's New York Times regarding accommodations the major chains are making for 'millennials':

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/17/business/hotels-roll-out-red-carpet-for-millennial-travelers.html

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Well, I went down anyway. Victorville, having a short platform, involves a double stop if there are sleeper passengers to board/disembark as well as coach passengers. But the sleeping cars flew by before the train lurched to a halt, followed by a creep forward as the only coach car door to open was originally spotted in the darkest section of the platform.

Until then I thought I was the only one around: not so; as the train rolled in people stumbled out of their cars, pillows, blankets, and bags at the ready. Still, despite being 15 minutes late, there was no rush as the car steward took her time while one passenger disembarked, and she had a good old chinwag (chat) to another passenger staying on board, before boarding the new passengers.

So I didn't see you RRRich, though you may have seen me. You went up Main 3, the original and steepest track, then got held at (or approaching) Frost interlocking while a south/westbound stack train went through the Victorville platform (a scenario that I've seen several times). Enjoy your trip!

--------------------
Geoff M.

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the cold sleek look and electronic gizmos do nothing for me (although do want wifi in room for my phone) but this doesn't sound too bad. Make mine a Wild Turkey on the rocks:

"Mr. Evans likes the “dark, throwback-style whiskey bar,” which serves its bourbon with large ice cubes. “The ice melts more slowly,” said Mr.
But the bar, with its wood paneling and stone trim, is throwback in style only — the hotel, which is attached to the Washington Convention Center, opened in May. The old-school décor is just one way that hotels like the Marriott Marquis are using design, with advanced technology, to attract younger customers."

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
In Chicago now. Rather uneventful SWC trip, except we were delayed 1 1/2 hrs in KCY this AM since the new crew hadn't completed their mandatory 12-hr rest period, since they came in late last night. Has AMTRAK ever heard of "relief crews?"..........

Other than that, I'm out on #59 later to Mr Norman's favorite city, New Orleans! (Hah!! [Smile] [Smile]

Still having some computer problems, but nothing major.

Next update will be from NOL tomorrow evening.

Geoff -- If I knew you were going to be at Victorville, I would have looked for you!! Once I boarded the SWC, of course, no more Wi-Fi service. You should have asked me for my cell #

Take care, y'all -- talk to you later. By the way, the Indigo was fine for me. The room was small, but the whole inside looks and smells fresh and new. Apparently they remodeled it recently. Breakfast was in the combination restaurant/bar next door, and they seemed to be quite busy!!

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
To Frank -- when I arrived at SBA, I took my suitcase and walked to the head end of the train and waited to take a video of its departure. While I was standing there, I did see a guy standing in the shadows of the station who appeared to be looking for someone. I thought maybe it was you and that you had gotten back in to town early or something, but I figured you would have approached me and asked me if I was me, if it was you.......
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich--

Beware of strangers lurking in the shadows -- even in "America's Riviera"! It wasn't me.

The Indigo was, in it's earlier lives a "Railroad Hotel" (for crew, I imagine), a budget hotel (lots of shared baths), "flop house", closed for quite awhile and now the Indigo. I'm told some of the rooms have small (VERY small) gardens. I'm glad it worked for you, especially arriving as late as you did.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
http://www.indigosantabarbara.com/

Must say that Indigo Stnta Barbara property looks unique, and to me at least, smelling salts are not needed when viewing their rates.

Pleased to see that the Dark Blue motif is not brand wide.

But one negative about any Intercontinental brand; they are European owned and as such permit smoking within their properties, but do defer to local management's prerogative. I think that the Crowne Plaza in Atlanta I've stayed at (and have no reason to stay anywhere else when down there) does a good at 'keeping 'em away from us' and the Holiday Inn Express 'does OK' on that point. However, who knows what's ahead in Salzburg at a Crowne Plaza there?

Finally, 'they say' there is more awareness in Europe about the health issues of smoking. Since I haven't 'been over' in twenty four years who am I to say? However, in now a month, I'll have first hand knowsledge of what 'nicht rauchen' means - it didn't mean much last time.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
To Frank -- I did see a guy standing in the shadows of the station who appeared to be looking for someone.

Rich, Frank would not lurk. He is usually right out front chatting with the conductor or other staff. Too bad you couldn't meet.

I shall be by SBA today, on 14(20) going to Seattle and cruise. Will report back soon.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
And I know where you will be, Vicki! At lunch in the dinner.

Enjoy the train and the cruise!

Frank in sunny and clear SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Make that diner.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
I am now in New Orleans at the downtown Holiday Inn, where I have stayed before. They no longer have a bar and restaurant here, though!!! [Frown] -- I was looking forward to having a beer here after I arrived. The City of New Orleans was early into town, and was never more than 10 minutes late at any stop. There is only one sleeper on the train, a transition sleeper, and 3 coaches -- not that many passengers. The back of the diner is set up in "cross country café" mode, and I tried sitting there once to take some video, since the Sightseer Lounge was very noisy (loud card games going on), but the diner staff would not let me sit there, since that is a "waiting area" for the diner only -- of course, there was nobody in that section "waiting" at the time, and it was not even meal service time in the diner!!

I tried taking the new New Orleans light rail from NOUPT to my hotel (4 blocks away), but the conductor on the streetcar would not let me board since I did not have EXACT change ($1.25), so I had to opt for a $10 taxicab instead. All I had was 3 quarters and a bunch of 20's for the streetcar.

Off for a nice New Orleans dinner somewhere soon, without having to go too far.

I take #20 to WAS tomorrow, but I may not have a chance for another update until I get to CHI or back home on Monday.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Is this your hotel, Rich?

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/new-orleans/msydt/hoteldetail/dining

Gottaluvit; the web page seems to think they have a restaurant - fact or fantasy notwithstanding.

Sort of reminds me of Glenwood Springs last April with The Hotel Denver.

TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich,
I was in NOL last week, down on #19 out on #58. My #58 was crowded with 2 sleepers. The crosscountry café is a bummer with a full load, as it means there's really only a half-diner.

I stayed at the Lafayette hotel ($75/night). When I went to ride the trolley the sign said exact fare only ($1.25), so I showed the operator my 2 dollar bills, and he said stick them in the machine and you get a chit back for $.75. Clearly, I was a befuddled yankee, and they took pity on me!

Glad to hear it cost you $10 for a cab from the station; that's what it cost me. Must be a fixed price for 4 blocks!
Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Gil -- yes that is where I am staying. And, after I checked in and was here for a couple hours, I found out that the bar and restaurant ARE still open here!!! Don't know how the front desk lady could tell me they were no longer in business, when clearly they are and you can even see them from the front desk.

I ended up eating dinner at Holiday Inn, rather than spend a lot of money at an "authentic" place in the Quarter -- if I were with my wife, I would have sprung for the fancy Cajun restaurant, but Holiday Inn is fine for just me. I went to the French Quarter and walked up and down Bourbon Street once -- had one beer at the Old Opera House with a band that was nothing special, but I did find a German jazz pub!! I had a couple Warsteiners there and listened to jazz. I am basically burnt out on Bourbon Street after all these years, but I do enjoy having a beer at a good New Orleans jazz place! I took the new "light rail" (which is a streetcar)from here to Canal & Bourbon and back. Next trip here I'd like to visit Preservation Hall.

Off to bed now -- I'll be on the Crescent in about 8 hours.......

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Almost home now -- we made it to Chicago. The Crescent got in to Washington early yesterday. I met my wife there, who took the Meteor from WPK to WAS. We boarded the Cardinal, AMTRAK's "ugly stepchild" train -- we had Room 2 in the one sleeper, and it was a bit challenging to share the romette with both of us, but we did fine. Diner-lounge (Amcafe with half diner seating and half lounge) with microwaved meals had one attendant -- not very many people on that train use the diner. We were on time from WAS all the way to Dyer, then were delayed an hour by signal work. We are at CUS now, and head back home to Michigan at 4 PM on #364.

Final upate when we get home, and I'll have a complete trip report soon.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Home at last!!!! The Blue Water left CUS on time yesterday, but no more than a couple miles out (just past U.S. Cellular Field), we had our first of several "construction delays" of the afternoon, and were delayed 45 minutes or so. Later, on AMTRAK-owned trackage in Michigan, we had several 15- or 20-minute delays, also due to trackwork going on. We finally arrived in East Lansing a little before 10 PM, one hour late, then had to drive home 2 1/2 hours to Grayling, which was not pleasant, since I do not have very good night vision any more, and my wife couldn't help me, since she curently has no eyeslasses. We got home about 12:30.

I'll have a complete trip report on the web site within a couple months -- stay tuned!!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page