RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Altoona Curve

Author Topic: Altoona Curve
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a minor league baseball team in Altoona PA that calls themselves the Altoona Curve. Most baseball fans will think the team is named after the baseball pitch, but railfans will know the connection to the Pennsy's famous Horseshoe Curve, located just west of Altoona. In Europe, there are several soccer teams that use a form of "Locomotive" as their nicknames, but it seems that very few American sports teams use rail references as their nicknames. Given the history of railroads in America and the power and speed normally associated with railroads, it would seem that more sports teams would have rail-related nicknames. Locomotive, Iron Horse, Steam, Speeders or, maybe, High Ballers are railroad terms that might work as team nicknames.

I searched the Altoona Curve website to see if Amtrak is an official team sponsor and it doesn't appear that Amtrak has made the connection. Unfortunately, the Curve are in last place with a 29-54 record, 20 games behind the Richmond Flying Squirrels. Wouldn't Richmond sound much more powerful if they were known as the Richmond Iron Horses or the Richmond Steam?

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Likely the Purdue Boilermakers (Purdue University; main campus Lafayette IN) is the best known example of a team, if not the entire Big Ten school, having a railroad themed nickname.

There are billboards for their athletic programs themed 'Ride the train'; when I first saw one, my reaction was 'somebody advertising the Hoosier State?'.

However, at Breakfast when I was in Indy last month visiting my friends, and with both being Purdue grads (whoops; his Masters is Indiana U), somehow I had occasion to mention (likely when I learned that is where their kid wants to go) 'I don't think there are too many railroads out there looking to hire boilermakers'. However, Engineering is a strong suit at Purdue and I'm sure all the Class I's - and maybe even Amtrak - go recruiting there for entry level talent.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are or were quite a few professional and college sports teams (mainly baseball) named after railroads and passenger trains:

http://www.railserve.com/railroad_sports_team_logos/

As a hockey fan, I like the Cincinnati RailRaiders and Southern Minnesota Express.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice list! Just in case anyone was wondering--the Seattle Sounders of Major League Soccer are not named after the local commuter trains.

I've been hosting some out of town relatives lately and the kids have been playing the latest version of Grand Theft Auto which features quite a bit of railroad action. I guess railroads are becoming popular with the gamer-set too.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I particularly like the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Rail Riders. Where else can you spend an afternoon at the Steamtown National Historic Site, stroll over to the Electric City Trolley Museum and then take the trolley to the ballpark.

The Rail Riders are a AAA minor league team, farm team of the Yankees. In my view, it's the most enjoyable baseball there is. The players are talented and are so close to their big league dreams. So, they play great baseball with the enthusiasm of amateurs. And the prices are affordable.

-

-

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland:

I agree with your sentiments regarding the fun of AAA baseball. Here in Santa Rosa, we used to have a AA baseball team but no longer. It was fun to sit in the stands, have a hot dog and beer, soak up the sun, and watch the game.

Vincent:

Do you think that Seattle (or Portland) will ever get a NHL hockey team? I think both cities would be strong candidates for a NHL franchise team.

Somewhat related, I came across this video on the South Carolina "Cockaboose", which I think is a merger of the names "Gamecocks" and caboose. The Cockaboose is used for game day tailgate parties. Looks like fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWwDENEmxQo

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't resist weighing in on this one. My first "team" was the Brooklyn (now Los Angeles) Dodgers. Not sure how many people know this, but their nickname was shortened from the Brooklyn "Trolley Dodgers" due to the fact that the borough of homes and churches that they represented was well cris-crossed by trolley lines back in the day.

Of course, there was the great HOF pitcher Walter Johnson who was known as "The Big Train" because of his legendary fast ball.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great info, Mike. One of my best memories as a kid was seeing Robin Roberts beat Don Newcombe 3-2 at old Connie Mack stadium. Usually we took PRR from Wilmington to N. Phila and walked over thru that blue color neighborhood with a bar on every corner and the air had a haze from all the cigar smoke. Don't think I'd try it now.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Richard: Seattle needs a new arena before the NHL will come to town. There is a private group ready to build an arena near the baseball and football stadiums. They already have the land, the money and the necessary agreements with the City and County; they are just waiting for an NBA franchise to become available and then they will start building. The problem has been securing a team. So far, Seattle has been used as leverage for Sacramento and Milwaukee to get new arenas. But once the new arena is built, the NHL will be welcome in the new building. But who knows when an NHL franchise will be available? It seems that Quebec is first in line with Seattle in 2nd place.
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then there are the musical groups Grand Funk Railroad (obvious reference to the GTW) and Southern Pacific (1980's rock band with former Doobie Bros. & CCR members)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
2016 Update

There's a new minor league baseball team in the AA Eastern League--the Hartford Yard Goats. Their logo/mascot features a goat chomping on something that looks like a stick (maybe it's a baseball bat). I like the name but the mascot definitely needs some work.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page