RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Heading south on #11

Author Topic: Heading south on #11
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boarded #11(7) on time. Sean handling the PPC and Lorna is our sleeper hostess. Lucky to be in 1130 this time, right next to the PPC.

Next to us in King Street are private cars attached to another Amtrak train, the Pullman Baton Rouge, Colorado Pine, Canada National Burrard and a Scenic View car. We left on time. Sitting in the PPC enjoying life.

Annie is in the lounge and Patrick is in charge of the diner. We added 50+ people in Tacoma. Chicken sandwich in the PPC. Sean "rebooted the wifi" and gave me a password if needed. Not needed since the PPC Wifi does not even appear as an option on my phone. Oh well.

Good news for some. Wine tasting is back. It costs $7.50 and there is no cheese but it is a special amenity.

Wifi now working for some. Not me of course. Lamb shank for dinner was quite good. And the theater is not functioning.

Hurrah! Posted this via wifi at Klamath Falls.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopefully you are now sound asleep! Enjoy the ride.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki -- I am surprised you needed a password for the PPC Wi-fi. On my trip a couple weeks ago, no password was required.

I too had a wine tasing on my trip south from Portland, but it was sleeping car passengers only, and there was no cost for it. We only had 2 wines, though......

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wifi working again today. Loaded automatically as I had used the password yesterday. Apparently they are using a @jet pack" and have not integrated things into the usual system yet.

Further report later.

--------------------

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Woke up in Sacramento, on time. I can see how far we are from the station. Quite a long walk. Next we went into the Oakland yard to drop off and pick up private cars. That is putting us behind schedule plus no use of toilets while the HEP is off. This deed was accomplished much faster on the trip north. Took an hour this time.

Met up with #14 at SLO. Noted that it had a diner lounge instead of a Parlour Car. We made up about ten minutes so far. Scenery through the grade was spectacular.

Made up time and arrived at LAX a little early. Lorna had our redcap right at the door and off we went. Car started and parking paid. Home looks good.

All our Amtrak staff were excellent, efficient, friendly. Food was adequate and some of it quite good. Love the days on the train, watching the world go by. Not so fond of the nights. Hard to sleep with the thin mattress, rattles, rolling and jerking around. Maybe we are just too old for the indoor camping facet. We are reconsidering our planned LA to Boston trip as three nights on the train, with the stress of timely connections may be more than we want.

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I waved from the balcony, Vicki! Welcome home!!

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From experience, I hope that you do not book three nights in a row on a train!

If you wish, most of us here can recommend good hotels in Chicago--many very close to Union Station.

Also, please consider overnighting in Santa Fe (Lamy). I highly recommend it.

Of course, if you travel on Guest Rewards points, these stopovers, with just several exceptions, are impossible without using extra points.

Thank you so much for your trip reports.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Thanks Don. Yes the stop overs wouldn't work with my AGR points. We did the cross country three day trip about five years ago. It was ok but now we are five years older.

I think that plan is being scrapped. Sorry Gil, we won't be there to visit in October.

The Starlight is still good, one night is doable and the scenery can't be beaten.

--------------------

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are welcome!

Keep in mind that if have enough points, you can book the segments before and after stopovers separately.

Also, if you dip into the rewards rules, there seem to be a few--very few--loopholes, such as an overnight in New Orleans that would offer enough time (hopefully) for a good sleep in a hotel bed.

One interesting exception for a future trip: Amtrak Thruway buses Seattle - Vancouver don't have to connect on Guest Rewards. Presto! Seattle stopover.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indoor camping is a pretty decent description. Use of public toilets and all. I just wish they would come up with a thicker mattress to use for the beds. I don't know if there is even enough space there (on the upper bunk) to accommodate two mattresses that are thicker, but if so, that would be awesome. Not only would a thicker mattress be more like a bed than a jail cell, but it would also take care of the creases (and I feel EVERY crease) in bed where the "mattress" crosses over where the seats are folded down. Not the best description, but I think you guys know what I mean.

Vicki: What ship were you guys on up there? My parents are there right now on the Golden Princess enroute to Victoria, BC. (arriving Saturday morning). They've been cruising Alaska all week. I just looked at the bridge cam (at 10:15PM PDT) and the sun is still shining up there!.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
We were on the Amsterdam Smitty.

--------------------

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right...you guys don't "do" Princess do you? Maybe my next cruise should be on a cruise line and ship that you and Frank recommend. Princess, to me, was sort of like the, hmmmm.....not sure what to call it (because it was nice, but had its issues), how about the "Macy's" of cruise ships. Very predictable, nothing special, you've been in one Macy's you've been in them all....that type of thing. And although I still have quite a "deal" with Princess through the end of this year, I don't think I'll take them up on it. I have $900 sitting in my Princess account just waiting to be applied towards another cruise. But here is the fine print:

-Must travel by the end of this year, 2014
-Cruise must be a minimum of 7 days in length

The 7 days in length thing is killing me. I'm trying to find a cruise that both leaves AND return to SF so that I can avoid air fare and hotel and ground transportation (I could just take BART up to the ship). But this is where they kill me: If I find, say, a mini-suite for a 7 day cruise somewhere for $900, no matter what price I find, I must DOUBLE it and then add it port fees of about $250. That's because as a single traveler, they double whatever their room rate is. They don't care if you're single-----they still want the full amount of money out of that room, so you have to pay double even though you're single. So that $900 room will cost me about $1,150 (even with the $900 discount). It doesn't seem like that great of a deal to me, especially since once you get on-board, the nickel and diming begins almost immediately......''

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luxury trains are becoming fashionable with the various Japanese train operating companies. I don't think Amtrak should be installing shoji screens and serving complementary champagne in the sleepers, but a good mattress would be a nice touch.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last month, I was disappointed that I couldn't get reservations, on #11, in the Pacific Parlor Car for a light dinner. Possibly it may have been because my bedroom was near the end of the train. I'll bet that by the time they took reservations in the sleepers ahead of me, the parlor car was all booked up.

I'm glad the Starlight is having a much better on-time performance. Vicki mentioned it was on time into Sacramento. When I took #11, last month, it was a little early into Klamath Falls. A number of years ago, aboard #14, it was 6 hours late getting into Portland.

One thing I don't understand. When on #11 going south, #11 stopped to let #14, northbound, pass. I've been on #14 when it stopped to let #11 pass. How does Amtrak determine which, of the 2 trains, is the one that stops to let the other pass?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultimately it would be the dispatchers (UP?) who determine which one sits in the siding but I would imagine Amtrak have some input into the decision. The issue is knowing what else is around at the time as the decision doesn't just involve the two Amtraks but freight trains scores of miles up and down the line.

What amuses me are the "armchair dispatchers" who criticize dispatcher decisions when they don't have anywhere near full visibility of what is going on several miles away which has a direct impact on the local area.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
@ smitty195

Point 1:

Nearly all cruise ships are registered in foreign countries. Per U.S. law, these ships can not provide cruises that stop solely at U.S. ports. Therefore, an itinerary would have to go at least as far south as Ensenada or as far north as Victoria or Vancouver. Some do, but seldom return to SF on the same cruise.

When you factor in that few ships ever start their itineraries in SF, by avoiding land transportation, you are severely limiting your choices.

Point 2:

Cruise companies vary in their single cabin pricing. Royal Caribbean, for example in my experience, can be quite generous depending apparently on how the cruise is selling.

Norwegian has a few inside cabins priced for singles, without any surcharge.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Right you are, Don. However we are on one that DOES start in San Francisco on 16 September 2015. It doesn't return to San Francisco, however. We will arrive in Sydney, Australia on 10 October 2015. This will be Celebrity Century's last transpacific cruise.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Frank, that will be a wonderful experience!

Great itinerary, Oz with no jet lag, and Celebrity, too. Enjoy.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Don--

It truly is a good one -- on a ship we will miss.

The only negative is few opportunities to ride trains this time. We've done the overnight train between Melbourne and Sydney and the Ghan from Sydney to Alice Springs.

We have booked seats at the Opera House for an Australian production of "The King and I". We've done the tour before but never seen a performance there.

We are planning a (long) day trip to Canberra to add to the "National Capitals" list. There is no convenient way to do it by train.

Return will be in Business Class on Air Canada to Vancouver connecting on UA to LAX. (MileagePlus miles -- a true bargain at only 60,000 pp vs. 150,000pp on UA's non-stop to LAX.)

Frank in sunny and breezy SBA

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank - you have me interested in Celebrity. Why do you like them and why is the Century specia? Is it like the last run of heritage sleepers on the 3 Rivers?
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
First, I need to correct myself. I was thinking about getting to Canberra by train from Melbourne which was our plan last time. It appears that it is entirely doable from Sydney. I'm going to pursue this further. Thanks to "The Man in Seat 61"!

Palmland--

We've sailed on Celebrity, Princess, HAL, Azamara, Norwegian America and RCCL. We seem to have found our niche with Celebrity. It's a slightly more upscale product than Princess or RCL and we have sailed enough with them that we get some very nice perks. It's like the airlines -- stick with one and you'll be rewarded.

Century is the oldest ship in the fleet and will be joining one of RCCL's European subsidiaries in 2015. She is a nice size and feels like a ship rather than a Las Vegas hotel afloat. We have made some good friends there among both passengers and crew.

We have also booked her two final cruises for next Spring -- Singapore to Dubai and Dubai to Rome through the Suez Canal. There are some special events planned for those cruises and, when we booked, they were offering a $100 per cabin "Farewell to Century" on board credit.

Yes, I suppose it would be like the last run of the heritage sleepers. I know I've got my eyes on a cup and saucer from the last Cova Cafe at sea. The original, I believe, is still in operation in Milan.

And, Vicki, thanks for letting us hijack your thread. I know you and Art have similar feelings about HAL. They are our second favorite cruise line but we will always be just "One Star" Mariners.

Frank in sunny and cool SBA

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Maybe I should call Princess to see if they have any un-advertised specials for a single person? I get bombarded with Princess emails and snail mails every day (7 days per week). I can't imagine how much money they are spending in sending out all of those little pamphlets on cruise that are on sale (it seems like every cruise is always on sale). I just HATE the fact that I have to double the price every time I see a good price.

And Don: Thank you, and I am aware of their requirement to hit a "foreign" port. The cruises that I have found that leave from SF and return to SF are California Coastal cruises (which hit Ensenada to meet the "International" requirement", and 7 and 10 day Mexican Riviera cruises. I think I found one from/back to SF that went north to Seattle, then Vancouver, and return---but I'd have to really search for that one as I think I only saw it once.

I'm off to bed.......g'night.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To get back on an AMTRAK topic --

Yukon -- to get a meal reservation in the Parlour car on #11/14, you need to do so with the Parlour Car attendant. On my trip last month, I believe you could still make a reservation for the meal time you want with the dining car steward, but if you would rather eat in the Parlour Car, you need to tell the Parlour Car attendant, and he/she will make you a reservation in the Parlour Car and cancel your reservation in the dining car.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Yes, the PPC attendant will take your reservations directly. That helps a lot as the other reservations can be gone by the time the roving reserver comes by your car. We took all our meals there this trip. After two weeks on the ship going over the "where are you from" and "do you cruise often" questions we were ready for some peace and quiet for our meals.

--------------------

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We will be in 1132C on September 27, and on 0230C September 29. Looks like we will have a walk to the PPC.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
@ smitty195

There's another way to look at this single supplement thing. Take a cruise that has a significantly lower person charge when two occupy a cabin.

I am thinking "positioning cruises." Frank currently has two booked - Singapore to Dubai and Dubai to Rome via the Suez Canal. I've done three of these all bargain priced including Barcelona to Dubai.

With few exceptions one-way positioning cruises involve moving a ship from one seasonal cruising area to another. For example, I've been on two that moved a ship from winter sailing in the Caribbean to summer sailing in the Mediterranean. My Dubai one one moved a ship from summer Mediterranean cruising to winter cruising based in Dubai.

What I getting to with this verbose message is that these exist on the west coast and they are priced right! Some are Princess ships. With so many, they tend not to book up and prices therefore drop over time. No guarantee of this, though.

This fall, all those Alaska ships will have to go somewhere. Nearly all (the exceptions being those that go to Asia or the South Pacific) make it down the Pacific Coast to So Cal for Mexico cruising, with some continuing through the Panama Canal to Caribbean cruising.

Typical west coast cruises, I believe, include three to eight nights Vancouver and/or Seattle typically to Los Angeles/Long Beach harbor. The longer the cruise, the more stops.

Now, I know you are thinking that you have to buy add on transportation. True. However, Megabus guarantees that every one of its departures from the Bay Area to Los Angeles has $1 fares if you book far enough ahead. No $1 fares to Seattle or Vancouver, but Bay Area to Seattle super competitive with Alaska, Delta & Southwest at war. Seattle to Vancouver no big deal either via Amtrak or Boltbus.

Good luck. My work is done.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, it appears that this topic has 'hopscotched" from Airliners Net to GetCrusing Com with a rail or two thrown in for good measure.

"Back in my day" when I went on cruises (last during 1988), my final two were Vancouver-San Francisco and those were to position the vessel between Alaska and Caribbean. The rates, on Holland America, were quite low.

Since those last two were single occupancy (girlfriend had deceased at age 36), I can understand two sides of the single occupancy debate - especially since cruise lines, just like Amtrak, have not less that two bunks in each room. A cruise line can justify charging 2X for a single just as Amtrak does for the "lions share" i.e. the room. The cruise line looks at the loss of revenue from drinks and all those 'extras" that Smitty reported have a way of becoming part of the cruise experience today.

Finally, those here who like to use the travel auction sites such as Priceline (I've never used 'em myself and don't really plan to), be sure to check out Mr. Nadeau's site for what appears to be professional advice on how to make them work for you.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
To keep this on cruising (Apologies, Vicki!) --

A few cruise lines -- notably RCL and NCL -- have toyed with single cabins. They usually book up quickly but tend to be inside or ocean view. I don't think any are balconies.

The repositioning cruises are not the bargains they once were although it's still possible -- occasionally -- to do a transatlantic for $100pp in a balcony by watching the market. That used to be our benchmark. It's now closer to $150.00pp.

The "extras" are a response to people complaining about paying for things they don't use. It's the "pizza principle" that the airlines now use -- pay for the things you want to use or consume.

Loyalty to one cruise line or, for that matter, one airline pays off. We have now done 15 cruises on Celebrity and no longer pay for cocktails between 5PM and 7PM (Or for champagne, a Bloody Mary or Mimosa with breakfast), specialty coffees are complimentary, we have priority tendering, check-in, priority disembarkation and two bags of complimentary laundry each. We also get 180 minutes of internet time each and usually several nice invitations -- Bridge Tour, Backstage Tour, Dinner with an Officer.

Frank in overcast and muggy SBA

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Mr. Norman,

Thank you. That's very kind of you.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Not sure why there is a double post…

Frank in still overcast and muggy SBA

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Hijacked galore!! But I don't mind, love all the conversation. We still need to get Smitty to branch out more.

How about round trip Hawaii from SF? Princess does that one but it is two weeks and lots of sea days. I love that because we play bridge, read, go to all the shows, etc. But not everyone likes the sea days.

--------------------

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Obviously, we love sea days as well. We have 16 on our next cruise. They are wonderful days to sleep in if you want or be up to watch the sun come up and then go back to bed. Trivia, lectures, work outs -- even if it's just laps around the Pool Deck or Promenade Deck -- or just sitting with a good book, e or otherwise.

Frank in still muggy SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page