RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Lincoln Service HSR Trip Report

Author Topic: Lincoln Service HSR Trip Report
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Morning. Last month we had our family get together in Chicago. Great time. We departed STL on the TE #322. It was late by 45 minutes coming into STL. Consequently we were late getting into Chicago. As often happens the section between the Mississippi River and Alton, Il. was slow. Once we cleared that area the train moved along smartly. The train appeared to be close to capacity as to ridership.

The country-side between Alton and Joliet was generally lush and green. The corn was tall. The streams were full. Pretty. We arrived at Chicago Union Station about an hour late. I was surprised at the speed at which the train ran between Joliet and Chicago. Surprisingly fast. I can remember not so long ago that it took forever to complete that portion of the trip. I have to assume that improvements to the track and crossings have made the faster time possible.

On the return trip we rode Lincoln Service #301. I tried out the WiFi that is now available on Lincoln Service. It worked. It was fun tracking the train's progress on a map across Illinois.

I asked the conductor where was the 110 mph section? He said that it started at Pontiac and continued for 16 miles. He said that he would announce it. We never heard the announcement but were aware the train was going faster than the traffic on I-55. In fact, the train seemed to be running as fast before and after the "HSR" portion as it did on the "high speed" section. I asked the conductor about that and he smiled and siad something about the engineer. I will leave it at that. My son figured out why we didn't hear the announcement. The PA system's volume was turned down so low that it could barely be heard. It is those little details that Amntrak has a problem with. It would have been a good promotion and recognition of the effort to improve the service if the crew had noted the higher speed by announcing it. Business as usual.

We had a delay outside of Springfield. But still we made good time until Alton. Then the train was slowed to a crawl and it took a long time to cover a fairly short distance from Alton to the River. I think that we were about an hour late.

While we were in Chicago we went to the Museum of Science and Industry. My grandson was overwhelmed by the exhibits. One of the exhibits was the New York Central's 4-4-0 locomotive that led the New York State Express in the 1890's between Chicago and New York. It was providing passenger service to and from the Chicago World Fair. The train was reported to have reached a speed of 112 mph. Again, that was circa 1893. I think that fact puts the Untied States' current "high speed rail" efforts into perspective.

Oh well, it's the only train in town, Amtrak that is. Maybe in my lifetime I will see a truly modern rail passenger system in this country. But I am beginning to doubt it.

On the balance it was a good trip. I can tolerate the shortcomings of Amtrak. Until there are systemic changes to the funding process the service is about as good as one can expect.

We purchased some food in the cafe car. Two of the items were humus and yogurt and fruit. They were surprisingly good.

One other note of transportation interest. I believe that 99% of the cabs in Chicago are now hybrids, which certainly makes sense. By my observation about 70% or better of the cabs are Toyotas. Then Fords are next. Lots of Fusions, Escapes, and Focuses. I saw one Dodge and maybe two Hondas. We did spot two Crown Vickies that were still working.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Mr.Iron Mountain, that has to be a first; a taxicab fan.

Yes, railfans, airfans, busfans, shipfans, heard of all those. But I have to say, taxicabs is a new one.

Taxicabs are something rare to me; I have of course used them when various members have been through town, and in strange cities, you need to attend a class in order to use the local mass transit system. I did break down and use one in Salzburg HBF to hotel upon arrival. It was raining and even though I now entered this century with a smartphone that gives directions, I "just didn't want to be bothered".

Oh well, six Euros for a spin around the block.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a taxicab aficianado, but I do note with some interest that the going price for a taxi "medallion" in NYC is now over a million bucks. Think it was around $18,000 - $20,000 back in the 50's, but of course it was only 20 cents for the 1st quarter mile back then.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going WAAAY off Mr.Iron Mountain's intended topic, it is not exactly brain surgery to see why the industry is up in arms over these Internet based ride services. What kind of medallion or other license do they hold? Ostensibly there is insurance and the autos are inspected, as well as the driver has had a background check made. But how do you know?

For me, Mr.Shank and Miss Mare still work OK
Save Salzburg, the last taxicab I had been in was with Miss Victoria and Mr. Art- and we all know or can guess how safe and courteous was that driver.

My "White Glove" Black Lincoln car service is very special, but is saved for special occasions like returning from overseas.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was hoping to elicit some Amtrak relevant conversation concerning HSR in the Midwest. But, in any event, Mike and GBN, I enjoyed your remarks. I do think that because an Amtrak passenger often uses a taxi cab to and from the station, that we are still, more or less, on subject(?). The contributors to this forum are always informed and entertaining. I had no idea that a medallion (same as a license?) was a million bucks. Years ago I remember hearing that it took 40K to get a cab license in NYC. That was a bunch of money when I was younger. Gilbert I can relate to your comments about trying to learn how to use the transit in a large city. I tried to use the CTA bus to Lincoln Park Zoo. We were staying at a hotel on the corner of Madison and Halsted. I asked the driver if the bus went to the zoo. He was one of those non-verbal monosyllabic types ( the kind Amtrak likes to hire for cafe car service) who would not answer my question. We had words and I used a cab instead. There were 4 of us so I found that the cab fare wasn't much different than the CTA plus the cab was much quicker. And what could be more fun than a Chicago cab ride? Speeding, running red lights, crossing the yellow line. It's probably the same in any of the big cities. Exciting. So, unless I walk to my destination after leaving the station I always hail a cab. Thanks for the comments.
Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed the story, Iron Mountain. If 16 miles was all the distance that 110mph offers, one wonders whether it's actually worth it. What's the typical speed elsewhere - 79mph? So 31mph extra for something significantly less than 16 miles once acceleration and deceleration is taken into account saves how many seconds journey time overall?

I've just had lunch with my wife's cousin and her husband, and my parents, and we were talking about the high speed from Victorville (ie around here) to Vegas. I don't think they quite realized how dead or dying in the water that project really is.

Frankly, HSR in the US needs joined up thinking at the DC level, not piecemeal efforts by people with good intentions but who otherwise no clout. I dread to think how many billions have been wasted on studies, surveys, analyses, reviews, inquiries, inspections, audits, and "jolly days out for bigwigs" with nary a sod turned.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I learned the hard way to study a city's transit system before I go there. I went to London in 1977 and chose a hotel picked by a travel agent as part of a package. The hotel was in a dreary part of town several blocks from King's Cross Station, which back before in was where Harry Potter caught the train to Hogwarts, was a grimy pile.
Jet lag made me hungry for dinner after most of the restaurant had closed, so I ate at a place in Picadilly Circus that catered to jet-lagged Americans willing to pay an arm and a leg for some warmed - over Spaghettios. When I came out, I found the Tube closed at 11PM, way earlier than the New York subway which I was used to. The taxis wouldn't pick me up.
I finally learned of a bus that went close to King's Cross, and when it arrived, it was full on both floors. As I hung on to the back rail like Dagwood used to in the comics, I promised myself, "Never again"! Whenever I travel again I'll learn a city's layout and its transit system, choosing a hotel that's centrally located and easy to get to. That's what I've done ever since, using taxis only when checking in or out of the hotel, or if i don't mind spending a few more bucks.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:

Frankly, HSR in the US needs joined up thinking at the DC level, not piecemeal efforts by people with good intentions but who otherwise no clout.

And, to further get this thread back on track a little, here's a brief (very) excerpt from a piece about infrastructure (HSR included) by Kevin McKinney in the latest issue of Passenger Train Journal:

"If there was one thing everyone could agree on, including politicians of both parties, it was infrastructure was a good thing. Investment stimulates jobs, improves efficiency, and creates a map for future growth. Today our politicians can't agree on the time of day and America suffers because of it."

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
GBN, I have to ask to whom or what are you refering to as Shank and Mare? Might Mare be the once dominant Checker Marathon? I assume Miss Vickie is the venerable Ford Crown Vicks (recently dethroned by the hybrids).

The first Amtrak ride that my wife and boys, who were then toddlers, took was about thirty years ago. We traveled from STL to CHI and back. The kids enjoyed the freedom to walk around. The ride was terrible. It was so rough that I was actually pitched out of my seat. I am not sure but that might have been the old GM&O ROW.

So I must say that the track is much improved today. They have been working on the tracks for a number of years. They are getting better. As I have said in earlier posts describing the run between STL and CHI, it is very smooth now in contrast to what it used to be. The tracks have been straightened, have new ballast, concrete sleepers, and heavy welded rail. I think that some of the grade crossings have been eliminated.

If you look at a map the "HSR" section is located between Joliet and Bloomington. Starting at around Dwight, a small Illinois farm town, the tracks are level and fairly straight. Pontiac, another small farm town, and the beginning of the 16 mile HSR section, is the next town after Dwight. Then Bloomington is the next stop. Bloomington, for those who are not Midwesterners, is a university town. It is home to Illinois St. and Illinois Wesleyan. Amtrak, by my observation, seems to do a good business in Bloomington. So the stretch between Joliet and Bloomington is lightly populated, level, serves two population centers, and direct. A perfect run for HSR.

The goal to have true HSR serving this corridor to and through Springfield. And progress is being made, although slowly. Currently the scheduled time for Lincoln Service between STL CHI is five and one half hours. The goal is to get that down to three and one half hours. Of course problems like the Alton to Mississippi River will have to be solved. One proposal that I have read about is that Alton will become the main rail and bus passenger complex rather than St. Louis. If integrated with Metrolink (the areas light rail) and/or the interstate highways, that might be a good solution to the present bottle neck.

Isn't it amazing that every other country in the world, big and small, rich and poor, can build modern passenger rail service in a timely manner, except the United States.

A comprehensive national plan organized on regional passenger rail would make sense to me. I would think that the economic stimulus would be great and of long duration. And I agree, as was already mentioned, it has to be a national effort.

I think of Eisenhower and the interstate highways, Kennedy and the space program as examples of what can be accomplished with a purposeful cooperative government.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Iron Mountain:
GBN, I have to ask to whom or what are you refering to as Shank and Mare? Might Mare be the once dominant Checker Marathon? I assume Miss Vickie is the venerable Ford Crown Vicks (recently dethroned by the hybrids).

Neither:

Mr. Shank and Miss Mare refer to "shank's mare", or walking.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=shank's+mare

Miss Vickie is Member "HopefulRailUser", whom I have had the honor to meet face to face several times in Chicago.

PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember,

At least one State still thinks 79MPH is high speed.

[Frown]

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ocala Mike:
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:

Frankly, HSR in the US needs joined up thinking at the DC level, not piecemeal efforts by people with good intentions but who otherwise no clout.

And, to further get this thread back on track a little, here's a brief (very) excerpt from a piece about infrastructure (HSR included) by Kevin McKinney in the latest issue of Passenger Train Journal:

"If there was one thing everyone could agree on, including politicians of both parties, it was infrastructure was a good thing. Investment stimulates jobs, improves efficiency, and creates a map for future growth. Today our politicians can't agree on the time of day and America suffers because of it."

Having recently seen 'How they do it over there', I agree with this statement. I'm borderline angry that the United States has failed to do better.

I'm not speaking of the long distance trains either..... I'm talking about the development of emerging corridors. B-T-W, last month I made an automobile trip to/from Whitewater, WI and had lunch at the new Bloomington/Normal station... and then photographed an hour late #22/322. OP, you weren't riding to Chicago on July 5 by any chance?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've failed to do better because:

1) We took something that was dying, and tried to preserve the whole thing. (see creation of NRPC, 1969-72)

2) We didn't have a long term plan and vision then.

3) We let Government enter the private market.

4) If you've not figured this out, our Government funds NOTHING!!! at its required valuation for very long. It's a net loss economic game with our government managing debt.

5) The consequence is ... (insert your governmental agency of choice here) is not funded at 100%.

6) That includes the NRPC.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7) The government has a long history of screwing up everything it takes over.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page