RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » BNSF

Author Topic: BNSF
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Media reporting about BNSF hasn't been good lately. We all know that the Empire Builder is regularly running late, but I also read news reports blaming BNSF for power companies running low on coal supplies, farmers unable to ship their grain, oil trains derailing and a WA state express produce shipper going out of business due to delays on BNSF. Meanwhile, Union Pacific is reporting much higher traffic volumes, partly due to the mess on BNSF's Hi-Line.

BNSF says that it is investing $1 billion to expand rail capacity and that the congestion problems will go away once the infrastructure problems are worked out. I'd like to ask the people more knowledgeable than I am about railroad operations this question: are the problems at BNSF really going to be resolved soon, or is this going to be a longer term mess?

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know any specifics but I suspect the $1bn is mostly just the regular maintenance and improvements budget, rather than a brand new $1bn found hiding down the back of a couch.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BNSF's Mr. Rose does not need to stare at negative coverage such as this when he opens his New York Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/26/us/grain-piles-up-waiting-for-a-ride-as-trains-move-north-dakota-oil.html

Brief passage:
  • FARGO, N.D. — The furious pace of energy exploration in North Dakota is creating a crisis for farmers whose grain shipments have been held up by a vast new movement of oil by rail, leading to millions of dollars in agricultural losses and slower production for breakfast cereal giants like General Mills.

The backlog is only going to get worse, farmers said, as they prepared this week for what is expected to be a record crop of wheat and soybeans.

“If we can’t get this stuff out soon, a lot of it is simply going to go on the ground and rot,” said Bill Hejl, who grows soybeans, wheat and sugar beets in the town of Casselton, about 20 miles west of here.

Although the energy boom in North Dakota has led to a 2.8 percent unemployment rate, the lowest in the nation, the downside has been harder times for farmers who have long been mainstays of the state’s economy. Agriculture was North Dakota’s No. 1 industry for decades, representing a quarter of its economic base, but recent statistics show that oil and gas have become the biggest contributors to the state’s gross domestic product.
While of course the overwhelming agricultural activity is done for and by the "agricorps", the public still envisions "the small family farmer and how he can't get his grain to market, because that big villainous railroad is in the back pocket of the even bigger petroleum interests".
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another problem that I recently read about is that BNSF is losing workers to the oil fields. It seems that the oil producers are paying higher wages than the railroads. A look at BNSF's career page seems to confirm the situation. BNSF has 99 current job openings: 24 jobs are located in ND, 23 in MN, just 13 openings are located TX.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vincent206:
Another problem that I recently read about is that BNSF is losing workers to the oil fields. It seems that the oil producers are paying higher wages than the railroads. A look at BNSF's career page seems to confirm the situation. BNSF has 99 current job openings: 24 jobs are located in ND, 23 in MN, just 13 openings are located TX.

I could see this many openings with no loss at all to the oilfield work. The additional trains being operated will require additional people to operate them. The days of many furloughed railroad workers waiting for upturns in traffic are gone.

As to our farmer quote in the NYT, this is just a good example of finding a somebody to make a statement to support the paper's position on the issue. I seriously doubt you are going to find rows of soybeans, sugar beets, and fields of wheat IN the town of Cassleton. Near it, maybe. It is still serious, however. Agriculture operates on very thin margins, whether you are farming 100 acres aro 10,000 acres. You have huge investments in land and equipment and it does not take much to turn a small profit into a serious loss with little to no difference in the work involved. Sounds a little like railroading, doen't it?

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page