RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Broken Builder

Author Topic: The Broken Builder
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The article says the ridership, on the Empire Builder, is down by 19% comparing June, 2013 to June, 2014:

http://flatheadbeacon.com/2014/08/13/amtraks-broken-builder/

"In 2008, the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act gave Amtrak the ability to penalize railroads if passenger trains were consistently late for two consecutive quarters because of freight-train congestion. The system appeared to be working and during the 2013 fiscal year, Amtrak trains were on schedule 85 percent of the time.

But in 2011, the Association of American Railroads sued the U.S. Department of Transportation, arguing that the new rule was illegal, in part, because Amtrak helped write it. In 2013, the U.S. Court of Appeals overturned the rule, saying that Amtrak is a private company and that it could not regulate other private companies. Since then, Amtrak’s on-time, system-wide performance has dropped nearly 12 points."

I don't know if I agree that Amtrak is a private company, but I think Amtrak shouldn't be able to penalize the freights for 2 consecutive quarters of Amtrak lateness. I do think the schedule should be more passenger friendly if at all possible. 4:30 Am into Whitefish is unacceptable.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a walk through the St. Paul Union Depot a few days ago when a 7 hour late #8 rolled through. Amtrak was unloading people connecting to the eastern LD's and putting them in St. Paul hotels before being bussed to Chicago the next morning.

Was this a cost saving measure or did they just have enough folks that were sick of being on a late train? I assume this was voluntary. I would rather be on the train or hang on til Milwaukee and take another train to CHI next am. Whether the bus was a charter or just a ticket on Megabus or other intercity, I would consider it punishment in any case.

As for Whitefish/Glacier, I am also unwilling to deal with service in the wee hours, and have postponed a trip indefinitely until something improves. Whitefish is a very expensive place to stay and paying those prices for less than a full night is unappealing.

Amtrak will no longer book travel east from CHI from #8 on any train but the LSL (6 hours later). I am planning a trip to Washington DC and I would prefer the Capitol Ltd. or Cardinal without an overnight in CHI.

I do hope this situation is temporary. Summer sleeper space is still often sold out on the Empire Builder, but how long before that drops off too.

It would be interesting to see stats on what portion of Builder pax are connecting or sightseeing at Glacier. The current schedule serves neither. Are there alternatives?

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what percentage of passengers, either eastbound or westbouind, detrain at Glacier Park stops. Of note is that Glacier International Aiport passenger count is up 12% this year. Also, possibly more of an indication, Belton Chalet, West Glacier, has experienced significantly fewer guests this summer. Has anyone ever stayed at the Belton Chalet? I hear it's quite nice with excellent food.

I wonder, TwinStar, if you caught the article on the St. Paul Union Station in the August TRAINS magazine. It says SPUD once served 9 railroads with 74 arrivals & departures as late as 1966. The article mentions that Minneapolis had 2 major stations, the Great Northern and Milwaukee Road station. Are either still functioning? Are the buildings still there?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Minneapolis Great Northern Depot was torn down soon after Amtrak vacated and moved to Midway. Much of the high ceiling interior and wall murals had been covered due to maintenance issues. It is now the site of the Federal Reserve Bank and the tracks that passed under it are gone.

The Milwaukee Depot is now The Depot Renaissance Hotel (Marriott). The old metal train shed is now an ice skating rink. The dead end tracks are also gone, but several of the rail bridges and the right of way that led into it is now the Hiawatha Light Rail Line into downtown.

I missed the trains article.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A point to add would be that the Stone Arch Bridge, which was a solely passenger train structure, over which the GN station was accessed, remains as a foot and bicycle pathway over the River.
Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page