RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Interesting Viewpoint from RAILPAC/A. Selden

Author Topic: Interesting Viewpoint from RAILPAC/A. Selden
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RAILPAC is an organization to promote passenger trains in the states of California and Nevada.

It looks like more and more states are considering jumping ship with regard to Amtrak intercity and short distance trains:

http://www.railpac.org/2014/08/05/amtrak-the-states-and-the-future-of-the-short-distance-trains/

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not surprising but I don't entirely blame Amtrak for this. It's clear that Amtrak is micromanaged by the US government and until that stops Amtrak is not a realistic option for the shorter runs.

Is it true that the diner is down to one person in the kitchen now?

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While some around here could be surprised to learn I hold this viewpoint, Mr. Selden is a voice of reason within the rail passenger advocacy community.

He clearly points out that within the RPSA 70, the Amtrak formulating legislation, nowhere is it stated that Amtrak has the exclusive right to operate intercity passenger trains. The only parties that are precluded are the railroads, or their successors, who surrendered their franchise to operate intercity passenger trains under their contractual relationship with Amtrak.

Therefore, a locality that has a stake in operating short distance trains, Corridor and otherwise, i.e. "one a days', are free to choose an operator other than Amtrak. California has adopted a trade name for their funded services of 'Amtrak California'; think how easy it would be to substitute a new trade name of, say, "Intercity California" or "IC" (Canadian National is clearly phasing out that moniker for their former Illinois Central lines). There could well be local sentiment of "hey we're paying for these trains; shouldn't we be in control of their operation and marketing?".

Of course, I would hope that the local sponsoring agencies would realize that an outside contractor is not always a panacea. Lest we forget, LAMTA kicked out that French concern they contracted with and are back with Amtrak to operate their Metrolink trains. I understand the Boston MBTA has had second thoughts about doing so, and Caltrain (Bay Area) never did.

All told, the events in Indiana Mr. Selden notes, will be "sport" to follow.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I understand the Boston MBTA has had second thoughts about doing so
Keolis has only been running the MBTA trains for a month, so it might be a little early to make judgments.

Selden's description of possible working partnerships between train owners and train operators is intriguing. I'm not familiar with the Alaska operation, but he seems to feel that it works. Could be the salvation of some of the LD trains?
Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from enthusiasts, pass riders, excursionists, and the small number for whom the Long Distance trains represent reasonably convenient and reliable point to point transportation, Amtrak needs them most to garner the necessary political majorities to support that big regional operation that does provide meaningful transportation to many.

With the possibility that other locally funded regional operations could no longer be identified with Amtrak, that thin visibility could be further reduced. As such, Amtrak would be unwise to separate themselves from the marketing and on board staffing of the LD's.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Selden's writing is usually so full of ancient grudges, manipulated statistics and philosophical conjectures that it's difficult to take his conclusions seriously; but, in this case, he's basically right: it's time to move on from the old Amtrak model and build a better national passenger rail system by allowing the states to design, build and control their passenger rail services.

I can't find any factual source to confirm Selden's claim that "aggregate ridership in the UK is nearly triple what it was just before the breakup of the suffocating British Rail monopoly", but the franchising model has been tinkered with for nearly 2 decades and many of the early kinks and service meltdowns have been figured out and passenger rail service is growing in Britain. However, Selden seems to ignore the fact that there has been a massive government investment in British rail infrastructure that has increased the number of trains, benefited OTP and lowered travel times. Until the USA is willing to make the needed infrastructure investments, if your train is stuck in a siding in the middle of Montana for 3 hours, it won't matter if the train is operated by Amtrak or Holland America--your trip is going to suck.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vincent206:
I can't find any factual source to confirm Selden's claim that "aggregate ridership in the UK is nearly triple what it was just before the breakup of the suffocating British Rail monopoly"

It does sound far fetched, though reports on this page suggest a 50% increase in passenger-miles since 2002 (the railway was privatised between 1994 and 1997).

I also happened to notice the subsidy overall dropped by 40% since 2009, though everybody complains about the ticket price increases.

quote:
Originally posted by Vincent206:
Until the USA is willing to make the needed infrastructure investments, if your train is stuck in a siding in the middle of Montana for 3 hours, it won't matter if the train is operated by Amtrak or Holland America--your trip is going to suck.

Yep, and not just a few mil here, a few mil there. It's like being given a tin of paint, a few vases of flowers, and told to improve the network with it.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are some interesting reports and publications available at this website. (It looks like British rail ridership has increased 73%, although I'm sure Selden has a different measure that explains his number.)

Amtrak has been using the same business model (the one imposed by Congress in 1971) for over 40 years. No successful business goes 40 years with the same business plan. Amtrak's new job should be to help the states plan and build successful short haul corridors. States that want to have the benefits of modern rail transportation systems should be able to rely on Amtrak for help with feasibility studies, plan creation and agreements with host railroads to build the systems, but it's time for Amtrak and Congress to realize that the 1971 business model is outdated.

Amtrak didn't build the Cascades Corridor. WSDOT and ODOT planned the corridor to make it easier, faster and safer to travel between Eugene, Portland, Seattle and Vancouver BC. ODOT and WSDOT created the vision, made the plans, bought the equipment and kept the system running. When the federal government finally made a significant initial investment in off-NEC rail corridor funding, WSDOT stepped up and received a good chunk of money to improve the Cascades service. The perfect role for Amtrak would be to work as a provider of knowledge and experience to states trying to build an effective, self-sustaining and safe passenger rail system. The question of who drives the trains or serves the coffee in the bistro car shouldn't be Amtrak's to decide.

I'm still a supporter of most LD routes, but it is time to find ways to improve efficiency. If Holland America can run the trains more effectively than Amtrak, I don't have a problem with giving the subsidy to HA instead of Amtrak. HA and other private providers will have a few problems, but at least they will be willing to innovate and learn from the experiences. Amtrak's latest innovation on LD trains is what...the Cross Country Cafe?

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with all of your comments, Vincent.

I like Mr. Selden's idea of (Indiana) Amtrak providing the engineers and conductors, with Corridor Capital marketing, staffing, catering, and operating internal train services. Sounds like passengers would benefit. However, what would it cost? Would the train ticket price increase dramatically?

With regard to the Cascades, could the Oregon and Washington DOT's completely divorce themselves from Amtrak if they contract out to a private interest to run the Cascades?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
I'll re-post Senator Harry Reid's comment about Amtrak in this thread because I think it's relevant to this topic too:
quote:
“(California Gov.) Jerry Brown and I spoke recently about our trains,” Reid said. “We both have a vision of high-speed rail in America. Amtrak is not high-speed rail. It’s an antiquated system, and I’m glad we have it, but it’s not very good.”
The future of passenger rail in America is high speed. Is Amtrak going to be the agency that builds HSR? Or is Amtrak going to be the agency that runs a bunch of "antiquated" trains into the ground? It's time for Congress to decide.

So far, we see off-NEC plans emerging for HSR in California, Florida and perhaps Texas and Nevada. Amtrak hasn't been involved in any of those off-corridor efforts. Is that the future of Amtrak?

mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't really see how HSR could benefit Nevada other than to Las Vegas, a subject which has been discussed to death through most of the 12 years that I have been a member of the forum but still without any sign of progress!

There could certainly be a market for additional services to Reno but the geography of the Sierra Nevada would surely make any HSR project in that area either impractical if not physically impossible?

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page