RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Today's Empire Builders

Author Topic: Today's Empire Builders
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the tracks are 2 blocks from my house in St. Paul, I have often taken a mid-day stroll this summer to watch a consistently 5-7 hour late #8 roll by. But this morning I check Train Tracking and find #8 is bearing down on me at dawn only 30 minutes late. In disbelief I ran to the tracks, and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but an almost on-time #8.

All of the Empire Builders are running close to on-time today. Is this a sign of things to come?

Our governor has been putting pressure on BNSF and CP because farmers are worried about oil train traffic hindering getting their crops to market. I see a Trainweb link to an article yesterday about Amtrak getting the DOT involved with CN delays in Illinois. http://thehill.com/policy/transportation/216394-amtrak-asks-dot-board-to-ease-delays-on-ill-route#ixzz3CDxSsaOV

Rail capacity seems to be a newsworthy issue lately, and BNSF, at least, has been claiming to be working hard on improving it.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many trains use CN tracks? The CoNO and Illinois trains are obvious--are there any others? Does Amtrak have a particularly bad relationship with CN?

It's good to see a few days of good running for the Empire Builder, but BNSF tracks near Everett WA were the scene of a recent anti-coal/oil train demonstration. BNSF coal and oil trains are not popular in the Pacific Northwest. I wouldn't be surprised to see more blocking demonstrations in the future.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If everything goes to plan, I'll be attending some rail seminars in Chicago at the end of this month. Rather than fly direct I look for creative alternatives including a combination of planes and trains. The return trip there is no choice due to other commitments: plane. But out I'm mulling a flight ONT-SEA and then the Empire Builder to Chicago, scheduled arrival 20 hours before my first seminar - should be plenty... What's more, the roomette is a bargain at $400! A couple of free nights at an IHG hotel in Chicago to top it off - HIE/Indigo downtown or Crowne Plaza a little further out. Convenience vs comfort, not that there's anything wrong with HIE.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff, peak fall colors along the bluffs of the Mississippi from St. Paul to La Crosse are late Sept to mid Oct. Your timing could be perfect.

http://images.dnr.state.mn.us/natural_resources/climate/current_conditions/fall_colors/typical_peak_11x17.pdf

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr.Mayo, while I have no idea where your seminar is being held, the Chicago Crowne Plaza is at Madison and Halstead - a full mile West of State. But the rate was less than what I paid at Salzburg. I do like that brand; I really wish I could pull my Trip Advisor review of the Salzburg property, but I can't. I expected "Little America", and it wasn't.

Not having been overseas in 24 years, I didn't want to be immersed in the culture, so I marked them down - and they didn't deserve that (especially with a desk clerk who hugged me when I left saying "please come back, Mr.Norman).

But it's a good IHG brand; much better than Indigo (HIE; you get what you pay for).

So, have a good one here, Mr. Mayo.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's at the Hilton opposite Grant Park. There's a HIE at the Merchandise Mart; the Crowne Plaza is only 0.2mi further from the Hilton but the former is a more interesting walk - plus metro options if I'm feeling lazy. I suspect the latter's breakfast options are plenty and varied - and expensive - compared to the "free" bowl of cereal / yoghurts / small hot buffet that the HIEs tend to have.

To be fair, this is as much a joyride and a "get away for a few days" as it is some education/training.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Train booked, ie Empire Builder Seattle-Chicago. Slightly disappointed that I'm in room 13 but on the other hand it may be quieter and I can (pretend to) get some work done. Much as I would have liked to do the Portland section, it was about three times the price - though with hindsight I guess I could have potentially gone as far as Spokane in coach and then sleeper (on #8) from Spokane. Oh well.

--------------------
Geoff M.

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Mayo:
Train booked, ie Empire Builder Seattle-Chicago. Slightly disappointed that I'm in room 13 but on the other hand it may be quieter and I can (pretend to) get some work done. Much as I would have liked to do the Portland section, it was about three times the price - though with hindsight I guess I could have potentially gone as far as Spokane in coach and then sleeper (on #8) from Spokane. Oh well.

Geoff, I wasn't aware of the significant cost difference between Spokane to Seattle (#7) and Spokane to Portland (#27) on the Builder. I ran a cost comparison, for both, obtaining costs for both coach and sleeper. As you point out, much more expensive from Spokane to Portland. Is there a reason why?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Probably very little difference in cost between coach fares on either route, but for sleeper it was $400 vs $1100 (#8 vs #28). Usually that would mean #8 has got plenty of space, while #28 is virtually full. Pick another date and they might be equal, or Seattle more expensive than Portland.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's usually just 1 sleeper on the Portland section, so it can sell out faster than the Seattle section where 2 sleepers are usually assigned.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
The good running of the Empire Builder seems to be continuing. I wonder if the fact that the STB held a hearing in Fargo ND on Thursday 9/4 on the subject of freight train delays might be related to the better service. An Amtrak VP showed up at the hearing and testified that:
quote:
Amtrak services nationwide, and particularly the long-distance trains are experiencing growing levels of delay on host railroads,...If this is not addressed, it will translate into significant impacts to our service, our passengers, and our bottom line.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

I've had both an email and a phone call (recorded message) today telling me of the severe delays the EB has encountered over the last few months for my journey next Sunday.

I notice the somewhat earlier departure from Seattle also means an evening "bumping of the cars" in Spokane rather than a post-midnight version. This time I should be awake to see it!

I see the last four weeks have had anything from 16 minute early arrivals into Chicago to 678 minutes late, just last week. I can cope with being several hours late but I'm not keen on another 3:13am arrival like that one!

--------------------
Geoff M.

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geoff,

The Hilton opposite Grant Park was the main hotel used during the infamous and violent 1968 Democratic National Convention. A riot occurred in the park and on the street in front of this Hilton.

You will be on historic ground.

I liked this hotel, although the neighborhood around it, though not too sleazy, lacks the interest of the Loop and North Michigan Avenue areas further north. You are primed to access easily the famed Roosevelt Road overpass.

Note the ex-Illinois Central line that was pushed through Grant Park, in spite of public outcry. Abe Lincoln was the lawyer who fought for this environmental disaster.

Ask for a lake view room. Even some of the standard rooms offer a partial lake view.

If you have time, I highly recommend the walks and tours of nonprofit www. architecture.org/tours Wonderfully knowledgeable docents.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Thanks Don but I'm not staying at the Hilton: just visiting their slightly decaying conference rooms. I was there a couple of years ago for the same event, albeit visiting the AREMA exhibition as well.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page