RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » The Hoosier - whoops (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Hoosier - whoops
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Trains.com, Indiana has approved funding for the Hoosier State for two years at $3M per year. Governor still has to sign. July 1 is target start up date.

Also the article shows the interior of one of the Budd built coaches to be used in this service after IP modifications. Looks like it includes foot rests?

The Trains article is here.

-

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a nice looking car. It looks like the seats have been aligned with the windows, too. I hope there is some nice scenery along the way.

It's nice to see that IN can find $3mil/year for train service. In 2010, WI rejected the Talgos because they would have cost $7.5mil annually to subsidize.

quote:
Although Wisconsin's federal allocation would have covered all construction costs, Walker said he didn't want state taxpayers to pick up $7.5 million a year in operating costs, after subtracting fare revenue. Revised ridership and cost estimates could have reduced taxpayers' share by $2.8 million or more, and the state could have used federal aid to cover as much as 90% of the taxpayer share, as it does on the Milwaukee-to-Chicago leg.
(Sorry to bring up an old issue)
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Gregory Hotel, Brooklyn

A lot of apprehension about staying at this place, but the room is nice and it is the closest place to my Niece's abode.

I have my doubts that interior shot is of a former PRR "--Inn" car. Those window posts are too close for a Roomette configured car. Trust one who has "been there done that", those interiors are too nice for how the PRR rebuilt those cars.

Got to be on my way to my Niece's for a wine or two with her now that she (supposedly) has her kids in the sack.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil, enjoy your stay in Brooklyn. I guess the old Hotel St. George is out of business, although I suspect the building is still there.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, GBN, windows are much too wide to have a roomette bed, with its thick Pullman mattress foldied up against the partition. IP has so many cars in its fleet looks like they are showcasing this one. But this is one route with only sleepy commuters that the 21 rmte car would be ok.

While you're there, anything left of Ebbetts field? How I used to hate the Dodgers as a kid. Best baseball memory: Robin Roberts beat Don Newcombe 3-2 at Connie Mack stadium N. Philadelphia. Loved seeing Duke Snider strike out and Ricie Ashburn always get on base.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Gregory Hotel; 8315 4th Ave Brooklyn--

Today, went to the Transit Museum with my Niece and her 2 year old girl.

Otherwise, have only treked from the hotel to her abode on 94th. Walked something like 6.8 miles yesterday.

Posts: 9979 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I need to get out and ride in July. I wonder if the Iowa Pacific Hoosier State will accept AGR Points?

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
palmland, old Brooklyn boy and Dodger fan here, going back to the days even before the "Boys of Summer." There's nothing left of Ebbets Field but some kind of marker; there are apartment buildings there now, and they've been there for probably 50 years or more.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Gregory Hotel Brooklyn

Yesterday was music day, also Subway riding day. My Niece is quite city wise, and uses them all the time except that she calls them "trains". Actually the 85ft cars used on the IND lines (she had never heard IRT BMT IND until I told her) make them trains.

First ride was from 86st to Atlantic Ave (yeah rah rah; I've now seen Barclay) and a recital at BAM where she is on the faculty (an Adjunct; nice name for a part time piano instructor). Next was Lunch at some place she wanted to go (me; take it or leave it). She leaves to go home to her kids as her musician husband had a gig. My Nephew shows up for a visit and leads me to some stop where R train stops and I'm back at 86st. This hotel is in sight of the 86 stop. Now begins the Subway riding adventure - to Lincoln Center and the Philharmonic - on my own!

That was R to 59th, then N to Times Square, then 1 (IRT, more familiar with.those lines) to 65st. Had a good view of Manhattan X-ing the East River on the bridge, and even took a photo. Now on familiar turf (Midtown), I chose to stay on the N to 57st and walk from there to Lincoln Center and a tremendous concert.

At 10P, the concert was over. For the return, it was D from Columbus Circle to 35, then R back here. The IND does not set speed records; I think traffic moves faster on 4th Ave than the train.

All told back here 1115P, which is late for me.

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Gil. when I was a kid living in Corona, Queens, not far from the World's Fair grounds and present-day Citi Field, I was quite a subway foamer. Went everywhere along almost every line BY MYSELF and probably lucky to be alive, I suppose.

My "home" stations were along the IRT Flushing line (the "7" train today) and along the IND Queens line (the "E" and "F" trains today, I suppose). Later, the BMT 168th St. Jamaica stop was "home." Gone now, I believe?

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Gregory Hotel Brooklyn

Tomorrow, it is go home. After the $70 1.25hr taxicab ripoff, for which I fear my Niece feels some degree of guilt as she told me $45 and 30min, I'm up to playing Duke Ellington and "take the A Train". The MTA travel planner says 1.5hrs so I would allow 1.75 - all in addition to the 1hr time I allow for TSA. Flight is 130P.

I'll take "poor man's" O'Hare home. I'd get to CUS right at rush hour; not like "poor man's" on Sunday where there are BNSF trains every two hours.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
My "poor man's Take the A Train" worked out just fine; the Airtrain from Howard Beach seems nothing more than a glorified people mover, although it appeared to have padded seating. Even so, it did the job. Total cost $7.75 and even though operated by the Port Authority, they accept MTA Metro Cards.

Jet Blue's Embraer E-190 aircraft have 2-2 seating throughout. The aisle seat was not occupied so I had room to read my Times. However, those aircraft are not equipped with Wi-Fi at this time.

Both flights on time; "Poor Man's" home worked fine with a ten minute connection at CUS.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly I am a "poor man" then, for choosing the most sensible way of getting to the airport. Still, beats being the "stupid man" for spending $70 on a taxi.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page