RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » stopping in Dearborn

Author Topic: stopping in Dearborn
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't made a trip via Chicago since last April's big Denver/California run (when we were close to ON TIME in and out of Chicago on every train) but I have another scheduled for Chicago in a couple of weeks in which I decided to stop off in Dearborn Michigan to see The Henry Ford/Greenfield Village (recommended here). So, does anyone have any tips about what especially to see and do there? (we are not renting a car; hotel has a shuttle)

In addition to seeing the sights in Dearborn, I also chose to go that way to Chicago because I've never been on the Wolverine (though I have been on both other Michigan trains so of course covered a lot of the same route).

Then, a few weeks ago, I was thinking: how fortuitous; by getting off in Toledo westbound and coming in to Chicago a few days later from Michigan, I should miss some of the worst Chicago train congestion. But checking the Amtrak Status reports, I guess that's not the case, plenty of big delays in Cleveland too! Oh, well, at least that means I'll get my breakfast before Toledo, eh?

The Wolverine, OTOH, is not doing as badly, this past week never more than an hour late into Chicago, so I'm crossing my fingers on that run.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If by "there", you're referring to Greenfield Village, you can easily spend most of your day in there and the Henry Ford Museum. It's like the Smithsonian, except it displays whole buildings. The Wright Brothers' bicycle shop, Thomas Edison's labratory, the first Ford factory, and so much more. You can ride around the place in a Model T, or an antique bus. The Museum has an abundance of famous cars(not just Fords).
If by "there" you mean Dearborn, outside Greenfield Village and the Ford Museum, there are the homes of Henry and Edsel Ford. I visited Henry's home, called Fair Lane. The place struck me as having a rather dark moodIf you go in the warmer months, please spray on some insect repellent before you walk through the gardens! I chose not to visit Edsel's home, even though it may have been more modern and inviting, because in was supposed to be Edsel's only refuge from his tyrannical father. I couldn't see that place knowing Old Henry would eventually bully him to death.
You don't say how many days you will be in Dearborn; if a couple or more you might want to consider Detroit by tour bus or van. Both times I went there I drove everywhere. I wouldn't bother with public transit in Detroit or Dearborn, though Dearborn seems better maintained.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train nut
Member # 12841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train nut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As members of the Michigan Association of
Railroad Passengers we have been watching developments at the new station under construction. For one reason or another there have been delays in getting the station open. The last I have heard was a projected December 5, 2014 grand opeing from a Dearborn official attending the grand opening of the Troy Michigan station on Tuesday October 15. At some time in the future the public will be able to access Greenfield Village directly from the train station

Posts: 8 | From: livonia, Michiugan | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train nut
Member # 12841

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train nut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just recieved word from MDOT that Dearborn's grand opening will be December 15-not December 5. Finally something official!!
Posts: 8 | From: livonia, Michiugan | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As either an addition or alternative, you may wish to consider a stop at Ann Arbor. As an Illini alum, I will readily concede that the Wolverine's U of M campus is more attractive than mine. Campustown and townietown seem largely well commingled. At the Hill Auditorium, there are world class fine arts performances.

Here is the hotel at which I stayed last time there and will stay at again during January when I'm going there for a concert (use of Amtrak "up in the air"; the printed schedule is quite convenient for my needs, BUT paper and reality can vary all too easily). Walking distance train station to the noted hotel is .06 mi; to the main campus another .04.

Restaurant of note; Gandy Dancer is located in the former train station (a Michigan Central "castle") and appears to have "tables with a view". Too much emphasis on seafood for my taste, however.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
Walking distance train station to the noted hotel is .06 mi; to the main campus another .04.

I hope your accounting days didn't include the same "factor of 10" errors. 0.6mi and 0.4mi respectively.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tried to avoid such, Mr. Mayo. Good way to have clients say adios.

However, whenever an experienced accountant makes a calculation, they usually have an idea of what the result should be. Simply then, if not why not. Same applies in your bailiwick when writing software "code".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am back from the trip now and enjoyed the Dearborn stopover immensely. Too bad the new station wasn't opened (as I'd expected when I booked) but I did walk over to see it--looks very nice for a newbie, and named for John Dingell! It was very close to the Comfort Inn where we stayed, which, contrary to Mr Norman's aspersions, was an excellent, comfortable, well-run, and blessedly inexpensive establishment--with a shuttle convenient for car-less traingoers needing to get to museums and restaurants. (Before 9AM and after 7PM, when the hotel shuttle wasn't running, the local Lorraine Taxi was also prompt.) We also noted more hotels being built on Michigan Avenue (perhaps owing to the train station opening?).

In addition to the incomplete new station, the bigger disappointment was that the Ford rouge factory was not open, although again, when we booked our trip, we were told it would be! But we loved the Henry Ford museum & Greenfield Village, and we also loved the food we ate in Dearborn, including two mideastern restaurants and a very fine German place--strong rec to anyone visiting.

Alas, we did not get to see the Marriott, which is a famous old inn.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojouner, Dearborn sounds like a great trip. My wife is from Fenton, Michigan and visits her girlfriends every year in the summer. I think that she takes the Wolverine or is it the Blue Water (?) and meets somebody and goes on to Traverse City. I have always opted out of the trip not wanting to be involved in a "girly gathering". But perhaps the Dearborn Village business would be something we both could enjoy. And when the girls do their thing, maybe I could find a trout stream to commune with.
Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Sounds like a plan. And yes, while going, I took the Lakeshore Ltd from the east to Toledo and then the Amtrak Thruway bus, leaving I did indeed take the Wolverine into Chicago. I'd never been on it, so that was exciting--though it duplicates much of the route of the Blue Water, which I'd been on before. And the east-of-Chicago delays weren't too bad on either day--just 20 minutes late to Toledo and maybe 40 to Chicago--so that was grand as well.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Thank you Ms.Sojourner, for adding a new word to my vocabulary. However I believe a more appropriate word in this instance would be aversion to express my thoughts regarding Choice Hotel brands.

I've stayed at 'em; and will do so again - if there is nothing else around.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Mr Norman, I have certainly styed in a few other Choice Hotel baddies, but the recent Comfort Inns have been excellent.
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Meant to post this but wasn't online much. The new station is now open in Dearborn:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/wayne-county/2014/12/15/dearborn-dingell-transit-center-dedication/20444085/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page