RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » JAX to MIA

Author Topic: JAX to MIA
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

We are planning a visit with family in Jacksonville, FL and then a short Eastern Caribbean cruise from Miami in late January. Which of the two trains operating the route would you choose -- the Star or the Meteor? The only real differences I can see at this point are the arrival and departure times. Any input?

And, yes, we are back from our 23 night cruise from San Francisco to Sydney and four days there and in Canberra. We didn't ride any trains but saw an operating narrow gauge sugar cane train in Fiji and plenty of trains transiting Circular Quay Station in Sydney.

For the air travel fans here we flew Air Canada SYD-YVR on a 777-200ER in Business Class. It was as near perfect as air travel gets these days. And it was half the miles that United wanted for SYD-SFO or LAX.

Frank in sunny and clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, unless you're interested in a side trip to Tampa to pick up some smokes (get me some), the Meteor runs the route more directly in 2 hours or so less time. That would be my choice, all things being equal (which they never are).
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, are AC 777-200ER's configured differently than are United's?

Quite simply, If I'm to go overseas again in this life, it will be in not less than Business (maybe even Global First; Maureen is happy to know I think your airline is that great) as I'm simply too old to survive "back there".

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VERY differently, Gil. The seats are 1-2-1 as opposed to S-Co's 2-2-2 and S-UA's 2-4-2. They are individual pods with plenty of leg room in the full lie flat position and more than enough shoulder room. It seemed a little odd that the windows seats are angled towards the aisle but that made it MUCH easier for the flight attendants to do their service. The meals were outstanding with someone in the galley who really cared about what the food looked like and tasted like when it went out. The wines were quite good. I don't drink much red but enjoyed Ranch 32 Vintner's Reserve Meritage.

We did not see our checked bags until Los Angeles. When we went through U.S. Security and Customs after our 7 hours at the Fairmont at YVR we were asked to identify them on a computer screen.

And the topper was that AC has a "Loo with a View" in BC.

We'll be in Global First in the Spring going from SBA to SIN on a 747-400 and a 777-200. And on Turkish in BC from IST to SFO after two cruises.

Frank in dark and warm SBA

P.S. Ask Maureen what she thinks about the buyout? Norm will, most likely, take it. It's hard to say no to $100,000.

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike--

Thanks! In the back of my mind I knew there was a difference but I'm still a bit jet lagged -- it was SO easy cruising westbound and gaining an hour with each time change (although we did lose a day). The Meteor it will be. I have enough miles but the price isn't too bad so may just pay it.

Frank in dark and warm SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, I enjoy flightseeing; so I can't be sure how happy I'd be without my view. It was fun to see how the return headed virtually North until we had altitude atop the stream before heading WW. I know why that was the FP; how many other PAX knew or cared.

I just may go overseas again; I haven't got too many more years; and I made some friends amongst the "Locals" in Salzburg, i.e those who go to concerts. If your airline offers an upgrade to F at something palatable over B, I could bite.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Gil--

We did have a view -- especially when semi-reclined. Three windows worth at full recline. A woman in the center section came by and was shutting ALL of the shades. I told her I enjoyed watching the view and she said "It shines in my eyes". My response was, "That's why there are eyeshades in your amenity kit." End of conversation. She DEMANDED an extra duvet and two extra pillows from the flight attendants and proceeded to make a "nest" never to be heard from again. She was also the one who left her "carryon" in the aisle while everyone was boarding because "they" are supposed to put it in the overhead.

I hope you do venture abroad again. And I'll respond to your private message soon.

Frank in dark but still warm SBA

On cruises, people like the lady above are called "Babbaloos" -- think Ricky Ricardo. In other words, PITAS. To be served but it's OK if you spit in their soup.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
OK, we are getting closer to booking this. Am I correct that we want to get off at the MIA station? We are staying with friends near the airport and they will pick us up.

Frank in dark but still warm SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
No answer? I'm thinking that Miami Airport is what we need?

Frank in cooling and soon, we hope, to be wet SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
OK, I'll give it one more try. We will be staying at a hotel near MIA before our cruise. Is the MIA Amtrak Station our best choice coming south on the Star or Meteor?

Thanks in advance.

Frank in blustery SBA where we had 1" of rain on Friday after 180 days with none.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank. Why would you think otherwise?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, can't help, Frank. It did rain here too, not much though, though my Rainbird valves are doing a fantastic job of watering around the valves by leaking instead flowing water to the plants (should've believed the reviews). Very windy on Friday and Saturday.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Frank, I'm up in the redneck part of the state, and rarely venture past I-4. Perhaps Gil can weigh in for you. I know that when I went to Gulfstream Park in Hallandale, I used the Hollywood station, but not sure where your hotel is.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great trip Frank. As a native of Miami and still a frequent visitor, I assure you that Miami is the best Amtrak stop for accessing Miami Int'l Airport and the Miami cruise port. If you were sailing from Port Everglades or staying near Hollywood/Ft. Lauderdale Int'l it would be a different matter. The Miami Amtrak station is about 5 miles from the airport and nearby hotels.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for which train to take, the Meteor is more direct and has a better departure time but you may want to compare fares on the Star. Sometimes it's sleeper fares are low enough in-state to justify paying for comfort since breakfast and lunch would be included. Normally lower fares kick in south of Orlando but it's worth doing some homework.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by SilverStar092:
As for which train to take, the Meteor is more direct and has a better departure time but you may want to compare fares on the Star. Sometimes its sleeper fares are low enough in-state to justify paying for comfort since breakfast and lunch would be included. Normally lower fares kick in south of Orlando but it's worth doing some homework.

SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member

SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
quote:
Originally posted by SilverStar092:
Frank: which islands does your cruise visit?

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I guess I was the one who was confused. My question is actually whether we should get off at Hollywood which the Amtrak website shows as being the stop for the Airport or ride to the end of the line to MIA (The Train Station.). Help still needed…

The ports are San Juan, Philipsburg, and Charlotte Amalie.

The hotel in question is Courtyard Miami Airport, 1201 NW Le Jeune Road, MIA 33126

Thanks in advance for any help.

Frank in sunny but blustery, again, SBA

SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Absolutely 100% correct choice is to ride to Miami. The hotel is within about five miles. Hollywood would be a long can ride.
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Frank, until Marriott in their great wisdom did a makeover of the Courtyard brand, it was my favorite Marriott. Seems like their Food and Beverage has been made to have the Millennial Generation happy. All their Huddle Cubes with every electronic connection and with MickeyD style food service, just leaves me turned off. Since the manager at one in Madison showed me so much courtesy and explained their marketing strategy to me, I'll afford her the courtesy of staying there (client there and Molly, Maureen's middle daughter, goes to Wisconsin). But otherwise, I'll stay elsewhere (Hilton Garden or full service Marriott).
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I was away and could not answer, but all the info you have is correct: all things (price etc.) being equal, the Meteor is the faster trip, and the Miami station sounds like the one you want. In fact, I had thought the Amtrak stop was MOVING to Miami airport, but I guess that's not for a while yet? I haven't been keeping "track" . . .

But I just wanted to add: if you have any free time around Jacksonville and have not been there, St Augustine--not far from Jacksonville--is a very beautiful, interesting, and historic place to visit. And if you were to get to Miami early, the place to stay is South Beach (of Miami Beach), lots to do and see, including just walking to enjoy the deco architecture and beachfronts (and watch the cruise ships sailing out!). (The taxi fare from the Amtrak station to South Beach is steep, but if your friends have a car . . . .)

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
We booked it! Except we are going one week earlier leaving JAX on the Silver Meteor on 01/17/15. We had a chance to book the cruise before the one we'd booked at a very good price so will be doing two cruises back to back (B2B in Cruisetalk.)

We are in car 9711 and it looks like Roomette DD1 or it could be DO1. Any comments? When I booked it said there was only one room available at that price.

I know we'll get lunch but will dinner be available before arrival in MIA?

The price was $230.00 for both of us and that compares favorably to what it would be to fly. (To pass ride on United would involve going to Newark or Houston...)

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Sojourner--

Thanks for your suggestions. We've been to St. Augustine and you are quite right -- very interesting and historical. This, though, will be a quick visit to JAX for family.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Regarding Ms. Sojourner's immediate post, it appears that Tri Rail serving Miami Intermodal Center remains a work in progress - even though two years late and counting.

However I would be quite surprised if Amtrak were to move from their present station. As I've previously noted at other topics, there would be considererable costs and very questionable benefit to move.

If Amtrak does move, consider such to have been made under duress.

DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frank,

Rolled into MIA on the Meteor a week ago. Excellent service. Hope that you have William, who was in 9712 on my trip, as your attendant.

If on time, no dinner served going into MIA. You may wish to bring a snack as the cafe car closes early.

Frank, why stay near the airport? The South Beach area of Miami Beach is far more interesting (art deco, nice waterfront walk, etc.) and very much closer to the docks.

I stayed at the Lincoln Arms Suites, an apartment hotel, not a full service one, and had no complaints whatsoever. Moreover, I am not alone:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g34439-d4059735-r229346852-Lincoln_Arms_Suites-Miami_Beach_Florida.html

It's close to everything and if you stay at it on the way back a free airport transfer. Check around for best rate. I paid $100 but was not staying in peak season.

Hollywood station, by the way, serves Fort Lauderdale Airport.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Nadeau, from what I read, it appears that Frank's party will simply be looking for an "overnight" before departing on their cruise.

My favorite in Miami is this Marriott; undeniably pricey, but it is right where I want to be - "catty corner' from the Arsht Performing Arts Center. Also with a bay view room, great for shipviewing (and even railviewing now that FEC again serves the Port of Miami).

Now if I may expand upon my thoughts on rail usage of the Miami Intermodal Center. Absent a gun to Mr. Boardman's head, Amtrak will never go near it. I'm quite certain All Aboard Florida will never turn a wheel (2012 start-up now 2016; Orlando now West Palm), if someday there should be some kind of publicly funded MIA-JAX service over the FEC, such could well use the MIC. Such service (may or may not be operated by Amtrak) would be 'three or four a day', existing equipment, connecting bus to Orlando from Cocoa, and not less than one stop in each county.

But alas, train hating Scott was re-elected Governor (Mike, up your way, and even more so should you have occasion to visit at The Villages, I trust who you vote for is "kept in the Lodge").

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love South Beach, Frank; they often have a 10AM art deco tour from the Art Deco center (around Ocean Drive and 10th) that I suspect you take and still make your cruise. Taxi fare from the airport or Amtrak station to South Beach is high, but so too would it be to the cruise ships. But maybe your friends are driving?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Norman,

You hotel choice sounds good too.

On the other hand, an overnight gives Frank and his wife ample time to experience some highlights of South Beach. Perhaps a walk along the lively Lincoln pedestrian mall after dinner on the day of arrival and a morning spent exploring the art deco area, as sojourner suggested, and enjoying the scenic waterfront park along Ocean Drive before an early lunch. All of these are within a few minutes walk from the Lincoln Arms.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Thanks for all the suggestions, but Mr. Norman is correct. This is just a quick in and out visit.

We've been to Miami a number of times and have pretty much seen it all.

Most of the hotels/motels near the airport offer free or very inexpensive transfers to the cruise port. You usually sign up and pick a time. They have mini-busses equipped with small trailers for the luggage. A tip to the driver and a tip to the porter who takes your bags at the dock and your all set.

Frank in cool and dark SBA

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page