RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » $2.429 Gas (Retitled): "We Report, You Decide" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $2.429 Gas (Retitled): "We Report, You Decide"
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$1.919 at a BP in Westmont IL yesterday.

But no mercy for those whose autos require Premium; $2.719 - that spread keeps growing. But then, if you have an auto requiring such, you are not supposed to think about "those kind of things". Sorry, but I do.

There is a full-service station in Hinsdale. Last time I was near there when Premium "out on the street" was $4.599, they were $5.199

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been under the impression that most all cars sold in the US must be able to run on 87 octane gas, and thus the higher premium gas is unnecessary. Maybe if you have a high performance engine (BMW, Ferrari, etc) it would need high octane. But, I have heard that even if the owner's manual says to use high octane, in most cases it isn't necessary.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno about that...some older cars with turbocharged engines (example previous years' VW Passat) specified premium. Come to think of it, diesel is now way more expensive than regular. I wonder if the higher gas mileage counters the higher cost of diesel?
Anyway, I just filled up at Kroger with loyalty card for $1.67/gallon!
Oh, what a feeling!

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of diesel, back in 2006, our federal government stated the cost of diesel will rise between $.05 to $.25 per gallon when the sulfur content was reduced from 500PPM to 15PPM. They REALLY blew that "estimate"!

As an FYI, I have $1.679 gas in my truck right now.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It clearly states on the gas cap of my '13 Lexus GS, 91 octane is required. I'm not about to "test" that requirement even if I'm sure many an owner (more likely a lessee) does so.

Funny how once in Kentucky I inadvertently put about 12ga of 87 Regular in the 16ga tank. Fortunately, I was on a trip to Atlanta, and was able to burn it off on the quick. I stopped every 100 miles to get filled up with 93 Premium. I had had two such fill ups before getting to Monteagle Pass (in TN, 40 miles West of Chattanooga) so that was an "up and over" without incident.

Posts: 9977 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Abarth says 91 preferred, 87 raw minimum.

I typically use 89.

Gas is 1.759 in KC right now.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Flying J, Benton Harbor MI this past Monday; Reg 87 $1.919; Premium 92 $2.199.
DonNadeau
Member # 61606

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DonNadeau   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This move toward lower prices clearly seems designed to halt further development of oil resources in Canada and the USA.

These are at risk now especially because the high capital costs needed. By capital costs, I mean not only the equipment and land for actual removal of the oil, for pipelines, and for new refineries, but also for such things as rail tank cars and increased rail capacity.

Ladies and gentlemen, enjoy these low prices now. We may never see these again until new energy protocols such as solar become truly financially viable.

--------------------
@DonNadeau

Posts: 366 | From: Iowa | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It appears that it's time to retitle this topic; right way or wrong way depends upon the individual concerned (guarantee you, I'm "ahead of the game" @ $100bbl/$4.00ga):

http://www.wsj.com/articles/demand-for-opec-crude-will-rise-this-year-says-group-1423482563

Brief passage:

• In the latest sign that the seven-month selloff in crude-oil prices may be nearing a bottom, an energy watchdog said that a recovery seems “inevitable” and the glut that has driven down prices by more than 50% since June could start to ease as soon as the second half.

A wave of spending cuts by oil producers and a sharp decline in the number of rigs drilling for crude in the U.S. likely will slow the nation’s oil-output growth, spurring a rebound in prices, the International Energy Agency said in a report released Tuesday U.K. time. The benchmark U.S. oil price rose 2.3% to $52.86 a barrel on Monday and is up 19% from a nearly six-year low hit last month.
I think there is a lesson to be learned here; even though the USA is something close to "energy independence" with the new domestic and "friendly foreign" sources, we are still at the mercy of some Sheik of Araby deciding he doesn't like the world price of oil and "does something about it".
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page