RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Asheville-Salisbury NC bus Service

Author Topic: Asheville-Salisbury NC bus Service
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A plan for a dedicated bus connection between Asheville & Salisbury, NC, for connecting to Amtrak trains. They say that eventually it will be a train connection if they can come up with the funding:

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2015/01/07/asheville-take-bus-get-train/21403247/

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great news, have always wanted to go to Asheville. But it doesn't seem 100 definite yet.

Is Salisbury the location to the NC RR Museum? Are there hotels convenient to the train station (and museum if it's there) so one can do it all without a car?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, the museum is in Spencer, but that is right next to Salisbury, and it's "four a day" - three of which are at people hours. Of course the one you'd be riding down from NY is The Crescent and that's the one not at people hours.

From a quick review, it would appear that most major chains have properties Downtown Asheville. I would presume that is where this bus will tie up.

Of course with Mr. Presley being indigenous to that area, you might have a source of help for that desired "clean, inexpensive, and safe" independent hotel.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, I attended a two day event at Spencer this past year. Currently under restoration is the famous steam engine, N&W 611. Here is a link to some video I took at the ceremonial 'first bolt' on its restoration done by NS Chairman/CEO Wick Mooreman. Sorry about the quality.

Streamliners at Spencer

The hotels are by the interstate. The Comfort Suites is 1 mile from the train station. The museum is about 2.5 miles the other direction from the station. Call the museum, during this event they had a shuttle meeting trains to go to the museum. Maybe they are now doing this on weekends in the summer in 2015.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ms. Sojourner, here is the "lay of the land" at Salisbury/Spencer:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.6655694,-80.4687304,15.91z

The Amtrak station is noted on the map as it will be displayed on your screen. That same resolution will show there is a Marriott Courtyard along Innes Street that would appear to be within walking distance of the train station. Courtyard was formerly my favorite Marriott brand, but no longer since they "re-themed" in an effort to make the brand attractive to the Millennial generation. In short, elders like myself can just go elsewhere.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
This is great news, have always wanted to go to Asheville. But it doesn't seem 100 definite yet.

Is Salisbury the location to the NC RR Museum? Are there hotels convenient to the train station (and museum if it's there) so one can do it all without a car?

I don't know how much help this will be. Most aren't near the station. Mr. Norman's suggestion of the Marriott Courtyard might be best. From the Amtrak Hotel and Motel guide for the Salisbury area:

http://trip.amtrak.com/hotel_searches/14027308

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the input.
If the bus ever comes to pass, I'll be making a trip!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Actually Ms.Sojourner, you could make that trip with or without the Ambus.

A review of Pooch's site shows that they have "one a day" Salisbury-Asheville that runs during people hours. RT fare is $80.

But travel time is 5 hours for distance of 150mi, which could be driven in 3hrs (some at other sites would laugh and say Gramp could do it in 2, but this Member would need 3).

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know how the hound is taking 5 unless quite a bit of it is off I-40. However, when we talk about train on this route, better think something between 5 and 6 hours. It is seriously doubtful that an average speed of even 30 mph is possible.

I can't see driving it in 2. 3, yes, maybe even 2.5, but 2??

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
At other sites with a membership base younger than here, I have seen postings where there are boasts of how "I just set cruise at 85 and away we go".

That's not us, Mr. Harris.

As I recall, there is a change of busses at Winston-Salem.

George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gilbert B Norman:
At other sites with a membership base younger than here, I have seen postings where there are boasts of how "I just set cruise at 85 and away we go".

That's not us, Mr. Harris.

As I recall, there is a change of busses at Winston-Salem.

Yes on the speed. Recently drove from our house in North Mississippi to Pensacola via Birmingham and Montgomery. That may sound indirect, but US-78/I-22 is all Interstate highway standard from the Tennessee state line to about 8 miles short of B'ham. Speed limit 70 most of the way. I set the cruise at about 75 and had quite a few vehicles blow by me at speeds that had to be 90+.

The best time of the KC-Fla special was somewhere short of 6 hours Memphis to Birmingham, but the driving time is now about 4 even including the non-limited access portions on the ends without speeding or stops. Train time can hardly be less and would probably be more than it was in 1962 when it about matched road time with the parallel road being all 2 lane except at the urbanized ends.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee..... I thought that I had commented on this thread already. Must have beenat the one other railforum I watch.

If one is taking Greyhound out of Salisbury to Asheville, they are undoubtedly being routed via a change in either Greensboro or Charlotte.

The Hound has two routes which serve Asheville once daily in each direction. One is a Charlotte-Knoxville, TN bus which operates via Spartanburg, SC (so as to stay on the interstate) and the other is a Greensboro-Knoxville, TN bus.

So essentially - from Asheville Greyhound offers two daily departures to Knoxville and one departure daily to Charlotte and Greensboro.

Connections with Amtrak are pretty poor BUT if one were connecting in Greensboro, the Greyhound depot is in the former Railway Express Agency Building which is adjacent to (walkable.....no cab neccessary) the Amtrak Station.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page