RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Center To Center All Weather Service

Author Topic: Center To Center All Weather Service
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back in the 1950's is when the New Haven first used the tagline for which this topic is titled. However back then, there was hardly the litigious society of Today:

Service Alert

In so many words, Amtrak is "out of business" North and East of New York.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As are the airlines, the highways, and any other form of travel you care to mention. Nothing to do with the litigious nature of our society, and everything to do with Mother Nature. Snow hasn't stopped yet in some parts of the NYNY&H world.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People were far less litiguos in 1888, when they tried to go to work in that blizzard, and were trapped in snowbound el trains for hours. Of course, back then was before mass electronic communications, even radio. Few people even had a telephone, so they had no way of knowing if their place of employment was open. Not wanting to risk being fired, people risked their lives trying to get to work.
The good old days - they are overrated!

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is also the small matter that MOW departments had more snow removal equipment in the day than they do now.

How many Rotaries did UP/SP have in 1950?

How many does UP have now?

What about wedges, Jordan Spreaders, ad infinitum?

Ditto PRR, NYC, NYNY&H...

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was also the matter of how many employees in total in all departments there were in the 1950's. It is a lot easier to get a lot of bodies into the problem area when you have a lot of bodies on the payroll. The total number of bodies on the payroll is far less today.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding Mr. Harris' immediate point, it's all about boots on the ground. Case in point: circa 1955, there were about 1M on railroad payrolls; today about 175K. From a quick check through Mr. Google, Ton-Miles during 1955 were 624B; 2013 1713B, or pretty close to treble.

Talk about mobilizing the boots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-Yew1UQuQE

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting video, Gil!! I think I've seen that one before.

I assume that incident took place before the RR built snowsheds along the old SP line, right?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the snowsheds were in place that ever would be. In fact, some had been removed. It was a far beyond the normal storm.

When you talk with people that design drainage facilities and set minimum elevations across flood plains you will hear such terms as "20 year storm" "50 year storm" "50 year flood elevation" "100 year flood elevation" and such like. This means a theoretical maximum within that period. However, it does not mean that if you have say a 50 year rainfall it will be another 50 years before you have another one that large. It means every year a 2% chance of one that large. What you see here was one of the biggies, but I don't know where it was in this 25, 50, 100 year or whatever magnitude.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Now it is the Chicago area's (Chicagoland) turn to get hit. Only difference between this and New York last weekend is that this is for real.

Looks like I'll have to dig my way out to my Sunday New York Times. It looks like about 6" so far, but 8 more and blizzard conditions tonight.

A quick review of Train Status shows the Midwest Corridor trains "more or less" on time, however all look nearly or completely sold.

Otherwise, if this is indicative of what we're in for during the remaining 58 days of Winter, then Miami at month's end (Mike, looks like no meet up; as it will be a four day "fly down and back") can't come soon enough.

It hasn't been that bad around here; time for all you Lefties at the Forum to have the LOL's.

addendum: my Times made it. Thank you Sergio; it will be remembered next Xmas.

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today's Empire Builder looks like it will be arriving into Seattle about 30 minutes late. And that's using the old schedule, not the "revised with an extra 4 hours of padding" schedule. So, BNSF and Montana must have missed a direct hit from this storm. Today's weather prediction for Seattle is 52F and rainy--pretty typical for this time of year. We only had 3 nights in January where the temperature dropped below freezing and no snowfall during the month. Usually we only see snow when we look at the faraway mountains or news reports from Chicago, New York or Boston.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
It continues to snow around here, but it's not that cold (30dg), and the stuff is wet. I've dug a path out to the street as well as one on the Village's sidewalk as I've been around here over 35 years, and my McMansionite neighbors seem to think I'm OK, and who have come to my aid during my recent health issues.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN If the Chicago winter is as nasty as you forecast, I believe a condo in south Florida for a month would be attractive option. Too bad Mr. Ellis' City of Miami was a one time excursion.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunny and no snow here in St. Paul. I guess the storm is just south of us. #8 probably had clear sailing until now. Most of our ground snow is now gone, and none forecast. Still cold though. Bummer for us skiers.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK on the no meetup, Gil. I might be meeting up later this month with an old racetrack bud from Staten Island, NY who may be coming down to Punta Gorda (using the A/T) for a few weeks. Another friend of mine from college days who I haven't seen since 1968 has tickets to the Women's NCAA tournament finals in Tampa in early April, and I might be meeting up with him (no Amtrak connection, though).
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page