RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Proposed passenger train route for Michigan

Author Topic: Proposed passenger train route for Michigan
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is now talk in the news around here that the Michigan Land Use Coalition (or some such name) is studying the possibility of a passenger train route from Traverse City, MI down to Ann Arbor, which would pass through several medium-sized cities in N, Central, and SE Michigan, on existing freight routes. It is only in the study phase now, and would not be built until 2020, I believe. Presumably, the route would connect in ARB with AMTRAK. No source of funding for the project has yet been identified.

Does anyone (Gil N?) know anything about this proposal?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all I know. "We Report, You Decide":

http://www.mlui.org/thriving-communities/projects/a2tc/#.VOQEjxl6jqA

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Gil -- that's basically all the local news has been reporting the last couple days.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can they use Superliners on this route?

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
dns -- probably, but this is NOT an AMTRAK route. I don't believe they have yet decided where they will get their rolling stock from.
dns8560
Member # 15184

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dns8560     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny to me sometimes what new routes pop up on the table from time to time. Proposals for service where the need is clear seem no more likely to succeed than the more outlying proposals. I'm not judging the merits of this route. I just wonder why it might have a better chance at becoming reality than other more obvious possibilities. Regional support?

--------------------
Everybody has to believe in something. I believe I'll take the train!

Posts: 230 | From: Ithaca, New York | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Their map also shows a line to Petoskey. If they make it to Traverse City and then Petoskey why not keep going the 30 miles or so to Mackinaw City with ferry to the resort town of Mackinac Island.

At one time PRR's Northern Express carried 7 sleepers including a sleeper lounge and diner there. Convenient overnight service from Cincinnati with sleeper connections from Chicago and St. Louis.Your room at the Grand Hotel will be ready.

The Chesapeake and Ohio and predecessor Pere Marquette RR offered service from Grand Rapids although it appears most of the proposed route will be on the Ann Arbor RR. That's amazing it's still serviceable. From the article in GBN's link:

Why TC to Ann Arbor?

1) The track is still in place and they're still owned by the state. Often the most expensive part of a transportation project is the cost of buying land laying new tracks.

2) The tracks are in pretty good shape. 90% of the tracks are ready for passenger service, and more than half allows passenger trains to travel nearly 60 mph. Only small sections require investment.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill613a
Member # 4264

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill613a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The train's name was the NORTHERN ARROW.
Posts: 37 | From: LAKEWOOD, OHIO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
I don't believe this is the same route as the Northern Arrow or Northern Express, since that train passed through Grayling (my home at the present time) on the former Detroit & Mackinac RR (currently a freight-only short line known as the Lake State Railroad), and the proposed "A2TC" route will NOT pass through Grayling or use the former D & M -- as stated above, it will use the Ann Arbor Railroad in part, and, according to my older Rand McNally Railroad Atlas, the former "Tuscola & Saginaw Bay" RR (now the State-owned portion?)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page