RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Trivia Question

Author Topic: Trivia Question
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just finished watching the movie, "Legends of the Fall" (1994, with Brad Pitt and Anthony Hopkins).

There were a couple of brief scenes of an old Northern Pacific steam locomotive and train, bearing the locomotive number 41. It looked just like the passenger train in the movie, "A River Runs Through It", which also had the NP paint scheme. I think that one was the old GW #75. Does anyone know what steam locomotive was used in "Legends of the Fall"? By the way, for me, it is one best movies I've seen in the last 20-25 years.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this would help, if accurate. But then movies aren't known for their historical accuracy.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info, Geoff. Interesting.

It looks like GW #75 wasn't the locomotive in "Legends of the Fall", although the loco and passenger cars looked very similar to the old NP train in "A River Runs Through It", which did use GW #75.

A list of movies for the Great Western #75:

http://www.railmerchants.net/trainsets/movlist.html

By the way, the "Legends of the Fall" setting was Montana about the time of WWI and after. Most of the film was shot in Alberta. The cinematography
was superb.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Richard, I believe you will find that locomotive in "Mad Men" scenes where Dick Whitman/Don Draper comes home with "Don Draper/Dick Whitman's" remains.

Speaking off topic about "Mad Men", the Producers claim to be so authentic about their '60's memorabilia. Well they didn't do.so good on railroad stuff. Somebody must have an SRY Coach as a stageprop, as it appears on the NYC going to Ossining as well as on the New Haven to Cos Cob. They could have found a restored New Haven 4400 MU at Danbury if they wanted to.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I've not seen "Mad Men" but will keep a lookout for it. IMDB gives it a very good rating.

Richard

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it bother anyone besides me that in many movies the actors are hopping on and waving goodbye while the train is moving?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I wonder if, as in the movies, train robbers ever rode their horses up to a moving train then leap from the saddle onto the train. Did it ever really happen? I also wonder who would go back and fetch the horse.

Richard

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page