RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » SACRAMENTO, CA HOTELS

Author Topic: SACRAMENTO, CA HOTELS
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I an planning my trip to Sacramento, CA this fall. Is anyone familiar with the downtown hotels in Sacramento? Preferably I would like to be in one that is within walking distance of the station. I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be of some help:

https://www.priceline.com/stay/#/search/hotels/175378/1?searchType=POI&page=1

I would suggest, if the hotel/motel is within walking distance, you walk to it during the day, not at night.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iron Mountain -- I, along with others on this forum, I presume, recommend the Vagabond Inn, which is directly across the street from the SAC AMTRAK station, and adjacent to Old Town Sacramento, as well as the California State Railroad Museum.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second Rich's recommendation.

The Vagabond Inn is what you want in Sacramento. I've stayed there three times in the past ten years and the location is fantastic. It's a traditional motor hotel kind of place and the rates are reasonable for that area. The Amtrak crews lay over a the Vagabond.... or at least they did when I was last there in 2013.

Make sure you book the Executive (Old Town) location...... there is another Vagabond in Sacramento out by the airport.

Vagabond Inn Sacramento

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like the Vagabond Inn is the one.

If you wait until the fall of 2016, the renovation of the Sac. Amtrak station should be complete. It will be a major transit hub and be known as the "Sacramento Valley Station".

I hope they retain the John MacQuarrie mural in the main lobby:

-

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Within the Gallery at the link provided by Mr. Presley, there is a photo showing Vagabond Inn's proximity to the train station.

Trip Advisor's reviews all appear "favorable"; and at their, I'd dare say low, rates even our "where can I find an inexpensive hotel in...." crowd around here should be content.

The only negative to some is that the property appears to be "oh so '50's motel style" with the room's door opening directly to the outside. Some are apprehensive about personal security especially if the property has a plate glass window. I can recall once staying at such a designed hotel (wonder why I no longer do?) where during winter, someone was "warming up" their auto for an interminable period - and my room was noticeably getting filled with carbon monoxide.

To that I say "what a way to go".

All told, Mr. Iron Mountain, if you are simply "overnighting" and can accept an "Econotel" for its convenience to the train station, let's say "I'd stay there myself". However, if your Sacramento visit is other than all about trains, every major brand appears to be in town.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only thing I'll add is that you may want to look into staying in Davis CA instead. We found that what we were doing next morning (train/bus combo to Yosemite) was perfectly easy to do from Davis; we just had to get up a little earlier to start from there. Just a thought, depending on what you're doing.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page