RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Quite The Luxotrain

Author Topic: Quite The Luxotrain
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Crowne Plaza Piitter Salzburg

Anyone else know of this Luxotrain?

https://www.majestic-train.com/en/component/joomgallery/kaiserliche-reisen/glaeser-282.html#joomimg

I was having my morning coffee at a Starbucks "catty corner" to the Hbf and I guess my latent railfan, as well as the roam whatever platform you want, including taking pictures, and to your heart's content, took hold.

I was on a "Gleis" and what to my surprise shows up

It was a tour party of Australians comprised of "old ladies of both genders", but predominantly female. They were bailing out to walk about the Old City (plenty of time to drop some €€€€ around; I did Sound of Music last year, doing it again this????); and their Shepherd was lining 'em up to "rally round the (Australian) flag", and off they went to the tour bus.

The train was comprised of 1960 vintage Wagon Lit stock and liveried in a dark grey with Maize trim.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks lovely....... did they have the vintage steam locomotive as well?

And isn't it nice to walk the platforms taking photos unchallenged? I wasn't even able to do that anymore riding the Empire Builder the week before last.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aboard Rail Jet 861 near Timklan At 257km to Vienna, present speed 140kmh --

I looked at my travel records and I thought I went to Vienna on the 1960 "family Grand Tour", but such was not the case. So, God and OBB willing, I will see the "not so Blue" Danube.

Rail Jet is OBB's premium service, which is higher, but not high, speed. They just keep it moving. None of their puny freight (20 cars is normal length) will get in the way of a Rail Jet.

Right now he is moving - 200 kmh.

Food & Beverage is served by an outside contractor either at seat in First or in the Diner.

The free Wi-Fi can be "spotty".

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Aboard Rail Jet 866 coming into Linz

133 of 280km down.

The WiFi remains spotty, and the at seat F&B, They take credit cards but the Attendant could easily said have you cash? (I don't). They didn't have a Chardonnay so here I drink Reisling.

Catering is contracted out.

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Aboard EC 360 at Traunstein DE

Gonna lose the WiFi .

Continued from Lufthansa's Lounge EDDM/MUC

Even.if their freight is some kind of joke with maybe 20 cars each handling ONE container of 2 TEU, I really have to respect their passenger service. Hourly trains Salzburg Munich, smack on time, S Bahn leaving X platform for here,ighty efficient way to get around. Talking with a German guy who "couldn't believe it that there was only one a day CHI IND Munich Salzburg same size cities as each.

Time to go and settle in to my Business Class seat even if it is facing aft (both Frank and my friend Maureen have heard about it but I'll still fly United)

Switching over to airplane mode; till the other side.

Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a logic behind "short" freight trains, besides the loop (siding) lengths. The closer they are in length and speed to passenger trains, the better the capacity throughput of a stretch of railway. Once you start mixing very long and slow trains with very short and fast trains you waste an enormous amount of track space since the signalling and headway can only cater for an "average" flow.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Back in the barn

Mr. Mayo has succinctly set forth the conflict between HSR and freight traffic. The European roads are built around the needs of passenger trains; freight is simply ancillary.

I still think that when European railway officials come over here, they are in awe of our private sector roads that make $$$$ for the shareholders - even if passenger trains are something out of Sri Lanka (Ceylon)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page