RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Business Class on Northeast Regionals?

Author Topic: Business Class on Northeast Regionals?
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All--

We will be going from NYP to PVD on 10/08 and I've been looking at trains. Is it worth it to upgrade to Business on a Northeast Regional train?

Any suggestions?

Frank in still warm and humid SBA [Cool]

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.

Even if the equipment assigned in the NEC is a 68 seat Coach instead of 76 and no further amenities are offered other than "comp" coffee and one soda pop, there is still isolation from the "herd".

The surcharge; think Econo-Plus over Economy.

I think you gentlemen would appreciate it; I know I do.

Oh and finally, I declined Econo+ on my upcoming flights ORD-HPN-ORD this weekend. Only ones offered on the "Bombers" we're bulkhead or asile. Bulkhead means no under seat room for my flight bag - which is all I'm taking for a three night trip to my Sister.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil--

Does Business Class get you access to the Acela Lounge at Penn Station?

Frank in sunny and too warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lowdown straight from the horse's mouth:

http://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Gil. I didn't know that our United Club cards would get us in. We each bought Lifetime memberships in the Presidents Club during one of the bankruptcies and it has been a good investment over the years.

I think we may still opt for Business Class, though.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I almost never bother with business class on NE Regionals; I personally prefer the Quiet Car.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we need to request it or just go there?

Frank in warm and dark SBA

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
From Hyatt Regency Greenwich

Business Class is a premium service that is booked at time of ticket purchase. It is also sold on board by a Conductor.

Oh, and the Express Jet "bomber" yesterday turned out to be an Embraer RJ 145 with 2-1 seating. I was on the right side with 2-2, but the flightseeing was great.

sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
I wasn't clear. My question was about the quiet car.

Frank getting ready to leave for EWR this afternoon.

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, I think you just go to the quiet car. Have a great trip. I leave Wednesday for 10 days Mexican Riviera, Sea of Cortez. Princess for a change.

Princess reminds me of Smitty who finally had that cruise. Where are you lately Smitty?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank,
I wouldn't bother with business class on the regional. As Sojourner mentions, just go to the quiet car. You don't need to make special arrangements.
Tom Black

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Frank, you just go to the Quiet Car. Usually (but not always) it is the second car, behind business class. (Note that I believe business class does have more leg room, if that is your preference.) In NYP, when I am heading south, I usually use (and tip) a Red Cap to put me on the train early, avoid the boarding scrum, and ensure I get the seat I want; however, the trains to New England are usually not as busy, so in that direction most likely a Red Cap isn't necessary.

Also note that the scenic part of the train trip from NYP to Providence is on the left facing forward only right after you come out of the tunnel from Manhattan into Queens (views are of Manhattan); soon after you cross the Hellgate Bridge the best scenery for the rest of the trip is on the RIGHT facing forward, especially after New Haven but with other briefer water views before, e.g., Bridgeport Station is nicely located.

BTW, if you are spending time in Providence, there are many lovely colonial-style streets in College Hill by Brown University (as well as the popular River Walk stuff downtown). Among the many good foodie choices in Providence, don't miss dessert at Pastiche, 92 Spruce (parallel with Atwells 1 block over), in Little Italy on Federal Hill, 401-861-5190, pastichefinedesserts.com , open Tues-Thurs 8:30AM-11PM, Fri & Sat 8:30AM-11:30PM, Su 10AM-10PM, closed Monday. It's been some time since I've been to Providence, but I still have a very positive memory of the Italian marscapone torte with chocolate.

Are you going to other places in New England as well?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Iron Mountain
Member # 12411

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Iron Mountain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, I read the information about lounges on the Amtrak site. There was no mention of the Metro lounges at PHL or WAS. I have used the one at PHL. Nice. Does the omission mean that PHL no longer has a Metropolitan Lounge? I thought that WAS had one also.
I have stayed in Chicago's Metropolitan many times. I have stayed in the "Magnolia Room" at New Orleans. At best it might be considered a First Class Lounge. That's being generous.
The information also said that STL has a First Class Lounge. If so it must be fairly recent. I have never seen anything like that at the STL station.
In reference to Business Class it sounds as though the accommodation must be different from train to train. I have traveled BC on Lincoln Service, Missouri River Runner and the Pennsylvanian. All three trains were very similar as to cars (Amfleet), seating (2-1), and amenities. Lincoln Service was the least generous. Maybe it was the attendant. The Pennsylvanian was the best.

Posts: 140 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Mr. Iron, apparently the Lounges at PHL and WAS have been rechristened as Club Acela.

Now, as several here have noted, with the predominance of Eastern "Business Class" being just another Coach, I can see the resistance to such, and that possibly Quiet Car is an acceptable alternative. However, if you wish exclusion from the "moshing pits", as do I, when traveling by whatever mode, then I think Business Class, rail or air, is a must. The premium on Amtrak Business Class is quite reasonable. Air? that's a different story with rates treble that of Coach.

But all I know is one thing; that if there was no dough for Business Class flying overseas (same as Sleeper on Amtrak), I simply wouldn't go. For a discretionary trip, why put up with all the crap?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page