RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » which AGR card

Author Topic: which AGR card
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of us will no doubt be replacing Chase AGR credit cards with the new Amtrak Bank of America one. I was wondering, has anyone considered whether it is worth getting the Word Card for $79 annual fee but 20,000 AGR bonus points and more Amtrak travel points (among other things), or better just get the Platinum card that has no annual fee but only 12,000 AGR bonus points. What do you think?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've ordered the World Card. In addition to the extra points you mention it also offers these additional feature:

1. Earn 2 points per $1 spent on other qualifying travel

2. Enjoy a complimentary Companion Coupon, One-Class Upgrade and a single-day ClubAcela® pass for access to ClubAcela, Amtrak Metropolitan LoungeSM or First class lounges upon account opening. Plus, each year you'll receive a Companion Coupon and One-Class Upgrade when you renew your card membership.

They tell me I will receive it next week.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Hyatt Regency Greenwich--

Why doesn't Amtrak find some worthy charities to which points can be donated in support of their programs as do the airlines?

It appears Amtrak is throwing more hoops of late in redemption of points; the airlines have thrown in so many that I "simply can't be bothered". So I give United points away each year.

I'm not so benevolent with hotel points, as so far their plans are much more straightforward, i.e. you have enough for a room or you don't.

Posts: 9976 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN, I think Amtrak has been incredibly liberal with their AGR system, probably the reason for this change. From what I've read I don't know that it will be harder to redeem but it will be more attractive (less points) for a relatively short overnight trip but more expensive for a multi segment one. Sounds reasonable.

Glad we already have tickets for a November trip that is definitely in the multi segment category. It'll be interesting to see if the one free upgrade noted above really means what it says - upgrade from a coach to sleeper?

As far as donating miles, I'll stay with cash donations. I just redeemed some Delta miles for a Caribbean trip and am hoarding 240k USAir/AA miles for a junket to be determined.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland, where did you hear that the free one-class upgrade you get with the $79 was good for an upgrade coach to sleeper? It never was before; nor could you use it to upgrade from Acela to Acela first class. You could only use it for an upgrade to business class but you had to book it day of travel, when business class was often already full.

But one other good feature of the $79 card is that if you spend $5000 on the credit card, you get 1000 Tier Qualifying Points. In the past, you could not get TQP without traveling on Amtrak.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Sojourner, my comment on sleeper upgrade was based on what I quoted from AGR website in my first post. No qualification was listed. Today I received an email saying my card was on the way. Again no qualification on the upgrade:

Start earning more points, faster than ever:
• 3 Amtrak Guest Rewards® points for every $1 you spend with Amtrak®*
• 2 points per $1 spent on all other eligible travel
• 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases
• Earn 1,000 Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs) when you make at least $5,000 in purchases in a calendar year, up to 4,000 TQPs per year
• A complimentary Companion Coupon, One-Class Upgrade and a single-day ClubAcela® pass upon account opening
• 5% point rebate on Amtrak redemption travel
• No foreign transaction fees
And remember, 20,000 bonus points can be yours after you spend $1,000 in purchases within 90 days of account opening**

If it 's a deciding factor for you, just call them. They're easy to reach and very responsive.

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I chose the platinum. I really dislike paying credit cards to use them. I already pay some interest, why pay more?
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
I checked, and as I thought, the upgrade does not include coach to sleeper. But the 2 points on eligible travel does include hotels, so between that and the additional 8000 bonus points, I think I'll get the $79 one, at least for now.

Thanks for all your input!

Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'll probably kill my Amtrak Card after I get my 12,000 points. The BoA imbeciles decided a 22.99% interest rate would be good enough for someone that has a 740 credit score. I will charge my Homeowners insurance on it, and pay that off when the bill comes in, then request an interest rate reduction.

I have not liked BoA and their ignorant policies since the 1990s.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page