RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Website Force Majeure, 13-15 Oct 15

Author Topic: Amtrak Website Force Majeure, 13-15 Oct 15
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We are currently experiencing an issue which is preventing us from providing all the features of Amtrak.com. It is only possible to make one-way and round-trip reservations or check Train Status. For assistance, please call 1-800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).
www.amtrak.com redirects to...
https://tickets.amtrak.com/home/

Edit 15 Oct 15: GBN reports site is back up.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Windows tab for this screen has the title "Amtrak.com Lite Mode". Is this our first look at a new branding strategy for Amtrak? Any future service cuts can be introduced with a smiling face proclaiming "Try the new Amtrak Lite."
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday, there was a HAZMAT incident at Brookfield (MP 12) that resulted in the Aurora Sub being shut down affecting all BNSF operations.

While METRA passengers apparently did not like that decision, they were at least informed.

Amtrak passengers, it was a "sorry 'bout that". The website, when you could get through, showed both 3 and 5 departing Naperville on time, until it started setting them back ten minutes at a time (each departed NPV about two hours late).

It was not until about 530P when I started to hear any action.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Elsewhere it was said that the website was suffering server issues. That could be any number of things - a DDoS attack, a major security issue identified, hardware faults - any number of reasons really.

That said, I was investigating the website last week for other reasons and noted the huge amount of data it serves to each and every visitor on most pages, combined with large numbers of scripts which slow your browsing experience. Using the Train Tracker facility immediately initiates nearly 900kb of data to be downloaded, which refreshes every few minutes. One example of spurious data is that many pages deliver the full station listing for no apparent reason - most websites use AJAX to look up data like that on the fly, which is significantly less overhead than a full download on each page. (Sorry, that went off on a tangent)

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time is 1555 CDT, still in reservations only mode.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Situation Normal", vice SNAFU'ed, as of a few moments ago.
Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page