RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Chi. Legacy

Author Topic: Chi. Legacy
hookc
Member # 61317

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for hookc         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We’re thinking about the somewhat iffy idea of forking over $20 ea. to use Amtrak’s Chicago Legacy Club. But simple info is hard to get. Anyone know if it offers short-term bag storage like the Metro for sleeping car passengers? And are tickets scanned on the platform at your assigned car? Many thanks...
Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I presume, Mr and Mrs Hook, you are traveling Coach, as the Met Lounge, much as it strikes me as a hell hole, is available for Sleeper passengers.

I did see inside the Legacy last August, and I'm please to report that it appears tastefully decorated (more than I care to say for The Met), but I have no knowledge if they have a bag checking capacity.

It is also good to see that the former Gold Lion restaurant, essentially dormant to date during the Amtrak era, but back in my day, the boss would every so often take the troops out for a Lunch (he'd even forget Rule G).

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil -- I'm not familiar with the Legacy Club -- is this something new at CUS? It's been a while since I have been at CUS -- is it a "first class lounge for coach passengers" or something? Where is it?

I personally do not think the Met Lounge is that bad. It has gotten better over the years. It's still rather dark a lot, but the seats are comfortable and I have never had any problems sitting in it.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have not heard of the Legacy Club. I've been in the Metropolitan Lounge countless times and have found it quite convenient and comfortable. Free drinks, occasional other goodies, nice bathroom, place to temporarily check luggage, two TV's to watch. I usually get something at the Food Court and bring it back to eat in the lounge. Amtrak has no signs pointing to the lounge, and I have a feeling some first class passengers are unaware of it.
Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rich, taking my "poor man's" way to O'Hare last August on my way to Salzburg, I had plenty of time - and a United lounge out there to use much of it up.

As I noted, I took a peek at Legacy Club, and it definitely struck me as nicer than the Met and on a par with United Club at ORD.

But "read all about it" straight from the horse's mouth.

Now if they were making a pitch to have a "mid-journey oasis" for the Coach crowd, I would hope they would offer bag checking and something that has been gone from CUS for some fifty years - public showers. As I recall, I used such during 1962 and the fee was $.50, last Summer, I used one at Munich airport, and the fee was €15,00. Even if the mop up at CUS was not equal to that of at EDDM, that increase is a bit more than inflation.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
CUS seems to be going "to the lounges". The latest incarnation of the Met Lounge looks as impressive as any must at O'Hare (I've only seen United's out there).

Of interest, it appears to be located where the CUSCO General Offices - and the Army of clerks performing tasks manually (with the help of Comptometers) that Amtrak took the machete to as soon as the place became theirs.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil -- exactly where in CUS is the new lounge? We'll be leaving for our train trip on Friday, and the first stop will be CUS.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new lounge is on the left just before you enter the Great Hall. We missed it by one day as opens today. We grabbed a bite yesterday in the food court between a late EB (although made up a lot of time) and CONO. Old Met Lounge was clearly past its prime- if it ever had one.

The EB affected by a washout in western ND. Saw lots of sidings! Our westbound counterpart was already 8 hrs late when we passed it. But BNSF dispatchers did a great job with mess they had.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gil--

If you enjoyed the United Club at ORD I think you will REALLY enjoy the Polaris Business Class Lounge once they get the new product up and running -- Starting in December with ORD! It will only be for Business Class and International First (Which will be going away soon.) passengers. No "Day Trippers", no "Credit Card Holders", etc.

And a bonus for you -- there will be NO rear facing seats in the new Polaris Class! And direct aisle access for every seat.

I have a question about the lounge at LAUPT. Are Business Class passengers on the Surfliners allowed to use it?

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Frank, on the drawing board may be ORD-LAX-SYD for sometime next year. My Niece is "going through with it". My Sister, who is perfectly willing to houseguest with family (I'm not) may make her own trip wanting to stay about two MONTHS (Niece to me; "that's negotiable"). Visiting with her last week (staying at Hyatt), we went to Seatguru to find the pitch of EconoPlus on a 789. I then set up four dining table chairs same pitch two abreast. I sat down next to her. She said "that's too tight". If she goes, she will likely use Business Class - even if her "more Scottish blood than mine" would dictate otherwise.

My $1750 refund voucher that expires May 11 is starting to burn a hole in my pocket!

GBN; who checks every day, but is still stuck with AFT facing 7A on UA952AUG15.

Of interest:

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/11/airlines-flying-rear-facing-seats/

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, yes, BC Surfliner can use the lounge.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Vicki! I'm feeling the need for a train fix soon -- perhaps one of the days when they are putting our new roof on!!

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Palmland -- thanks for the CHI lounge info!

RR Rich

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page