RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Portland to Chicago on the Empire Builder

Author Topic: Portland to Chicago on the Empire Builder
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking for some advice. There is only a 1 hour 10 min conncetion time betw the NB Coast Starlight's arrival in Portland and the EB departure. What would happen if the conncetion is missed? An overnight in Portland (fine by me)? If so, would I be guaranteed the same type of accomodation to Chicago on the next day's train?

Secondly, if I remember correctly, this part of the train connects to the end of the eastbound EB in Spokane. I wonder how inconvenient it will be to access the observation and dining cars. Any thoughts?

FWIW, I will be travelling on a AGR award ticket.

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mary,
I can't help you with the connections between CS and EB except to say that the CS, when I rode it last week, was on time in Portland. The observation car is part of your train from Portland and is quite convenient. The dining car is in the Seattle section, so you have to walk through several coaches to get to it.
Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been reports here in the past that, if the connection cannot be made, "Bustetoots" will originate at Klamath Falls and operate to Pasco. That a passenger will lose the scenery both over the Cascades and along the Columbia River is a "sorry bout that". If these are important, as I would guess they are, best book the itinerary with the Portland stopover.

Unfortunately, it appears from other reports that if redeeming Guest Reward points, the stopover is not allowed.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mary -

Empire Builder #28, Portland to Spokane, is a very scenic route. Worthwhile if you've never taken #28. However, some negatives. As mentioned by Mr. Norman, if the connection to #28 cannot be made it will short circuit the most scenic part.. from Portland to Pasco. Also, I think #28 is best during the long summer days with a later sundown.

I took #28 last summer. The train was dirty, the attendants not all that great, and the box lunch food was cold and not very good. No diner on #28.

I would suggest staying on the Coast Starlight to Seattle, if you have the time. Then take the Builder the next day. The stretch, on EB #8 from Seattle to Spokane, is also very scenic. You might want to check out Mr. Rich's website:

http://www.railroadrich.com/

Click "Amtrak RR Guide" in the black section. Then click 15A, "Seattle to Glacier". Then "Seattle to Leavenworth". You will see a lot of interesting and scenic areas described in the narrative. I found some of the small towns and sites very picturesque and historical.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mary_228   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the link Richard. I have the book USA by Rail with much more concise descriptions of the route. I can see this link will provide greater insight. I appreciate your comments about the #28 experience you had. How disappointing! I would much prefer to be on the "real" train and be served a proper dinner. I may reconsider this routing.

For a springtime trip, do you have any other recommendations? Our starting or ending point would have to be Chicago, and my travelling companion has never travelled on Amtrak or seen very much of the US, so we are open to all ideas!

Posts: 72 | From: Illinois | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to be of some help, Mary.

Maybe others, on the forum, can chip in regarding their thoughts for a springtime trip either starting or ending in Chicago. What directions do you have in mind?

If a westward trip would of interest, I think the westbound Empire Builder would be a good choice. I've only taken the Calif. Zephyr from Calif. to Glenwood Springs, many would choose the stretch from Glenwood to Denver for great scenery. I've never taken the Southwest Chief.

On final thought, you and your friend may not like coach accommodations on Amtrak. I would suggest a sleeper for any long distance Amtrak train, even though it's considerably more costly. An exception would be the Amtrak Cascades, for travel in the Pacific Northwest. Coach and especially Business Class coach travel on the Cascades is quite nice.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mary, I recently experienced the dreaded bustitution from the Starlight to the Empire Builder. And traveling on AGR points, as I was, may allow less flexibility to avoid the bus.

First let me say that the Columbia River Gorge at sunset on #28 is one of the most beautiful rides on Amtrak. Portland is a great city to explore with easy free transportation. You also get the sightseer lounge that the Seattle section does not (although it is right behind the engine to Spokane so there are diesel fumes). I also prefer eastbound on the Builder because of more daylight in Glacier Park. Montana east of Glacier is sort of unchanging and empty.

My experience with the bus is as follows. First Amtrak woke me with a call at 2am to say the Builder would be held for us at Portland. Then they announced on an hours notice we had to de-train at Klamath Falls for the bus instead. The bus was old and not very luxurious. Two half hour stops at Subways at our expense replaced our free meals on the train. The scenery was unremarkable. The 12-pack of Coronas my son bought helped. He also had to fix the rattling rest room door. The bus arrived at Pasco way before the train, and the depot is in a remote area that gives new meaning to the word boring.

On the Starlight I tried to avoid the bus by calling Amtrak and rerouting through Seattle at my own expense. However, on AGR points they said that would require me to make an additional 2-zone redemption because of the stopover in Seattle. When I complained enough later, Amtrak did issue me a substantial voucher for future travel.

So that 1:10 connection time does present a real dilemma.

As for your second question, the observation car (Sightseer Lounge in Amtrakese) is at the front of the Portland section. The Diner is in the middle of the Seattle section. There are 2 or 3 Seattle coaches in between. I like walking through coaches just to see how many awkward positions people can find to sleep in.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
TwinRocket: I am very sorry to hear of your experience, but grateful for your detailed explanation of the consequesnces. I wish reservations would allow me to book to Seattle or Portland with an overnight at my expense. I do not have enough additional points to use for the extra two zone trip. Perhaps I am being too greedy in my redemption strategy to risk missing my connection.
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mary_228:
I wish reservations would allow me to book to Seattle or Portland with an overnight at my expense.

I do wonder why Amtrak won't allow this. They neither gain nor lose by having a passenger catch one train or the next day's train. One could argue that the chances are that Amtrak will have to pay out if a train is late (bustitution or hotel), so a "free" stopover is actually a benefit to all.

Some airlines - not all - allow stopovers and, in fact, actively promote it. For example, when I was in the UK, flying Emirates to the Philippines I could have stopped over in Dubai for no extra cost, or with Malaysian Airlines I could have stopped in Malaysia. I'd have to pay my own expenses like hotel and food obviously, but the airfare was the same with or without a stopover. In fact, they probably do make a little money on the side with a stopover if you book the hotel with the airline ticket, and probably a commission from a tourist board too.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The bus arrived at Pasco way before the train, and the depot is in a remote area that gives new meaning to the word boring.
Very true.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mary_228
Member # 3826

Member Rated:
Happy to report on a successful trip. The Coast Starlight was early to most of its stops and we had a nice layover in Portland's attractive station. I especially enjoyed the Columbia River sights and the meal was quite delicious. We had purchased a few small boxes of wine prior to boarding which we enjoyed with our meal in the almost empty observation car. The connection to the Empire Builder did not wake me and I awoke to a beautiful sunrise over Lake Whitefish.

Prior to travel, I checked the Amtrak schedule of onboard speakers and was disappointed that we wouldn't have that pleasure on our days of travel. To my surprise and delight, both journeys featured commentary.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page