RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » But No, We Will Not All Sleep!

Author Topic: But No, We Will Not All Sleep!
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://adage.com/article/media/tv-network-put-viewers-sleep-thanksgiving/301293/?utm_source=mediaworks&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=adage&ttl=1447790949
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent find! Actually we'll be ON a train that day, up the Californian coast on the Starlight. Will the Destination America show be a cab ride, a documentary, or what?

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your guess is as good as mine. I'm betting cab ride, given the way the "Rai;road Alaska" series is done.
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Over the river and through the woods. I hope there will be some hot toddies at grandmother's house when they get to their destination.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched the last 20 min. of live coverage on the Discover America channel. The last stop, in their 5 hour coverage of the Alaska Railroad, was Healy.

It was both interesting and a sedative. They did have some live cameras on the ground at Healy, when the train came in.

I wonder if DAC will do the same for an Amtrak long distance train?

How about Shelby to Whitefish for the Empire Builder (summertime only). Maybe Klamath Falls to Eugene on the Coast Starlight. Denver to Glenwood Springs for the Calif. Zephyr.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
I watched the last 20 min. of live coverage on the Discover America channel. The last stop, in their 5 hour coverage of the Alaska Railroad, was Healy.

It was both interesting and a sedative. They did have some live cameras on the ground at Healy, when the train came in.

I wonder if DAC will do the same for an Amtrak long distance train?

How about Shelby to Whitefish for the Empire Builder (summertime only). Maybe Klamath Falls to Eugene on the Coast Starlight. Denver to Glenwood Springs for the Calif. Zephyr.

Richard

That might be a good idea. Maybe the modern equivalent of a letter writing campaign would get some attention? I wouldn't mind North Vancouver to Whistler or Banff to Lake Louise.
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I like your idea, Mr. Nicholson.

A live camera aboard the Rocky Mountaineer or VIA through the Canadian Rockies, or up to Whistler would be great. Especially if the run could be during the late spring or summer.

With the Alaska Railroad train, pretty much all you could see was gray sky and snow. It would be nice if they had cameras pointed to the front, back, and sides of the train. One camera always pointing ahead of the train got a little tedious.

Richard

Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone is about to suggest a camera mounted atop #5, Zephyr, that's already been done.

About sixty years ago, there was a precursor to, I guess, I-Max, called Cinerama. One of their films had scenes of WP #17, Zephyr, along the Feather River.

Of interest, Western Pacific was the road that the three operators, Q, DRGW, WP, agreed would market the train.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I think there is a brief clip, per Mr. Norman's reference, of the Zephyr in the following. It is just for a few seconds, at 3:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWeZ0qYGVP4

It looks like Seattle has a new Cinerama theater:

http://www.cinerama.com/Calendar.aspx

I wouldn't go there just to see "Spectre". I hear it isn't a very good James Bond movie.

Richard

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cinerama Theater worth a visit if you're looking for a comfortable place to watch a blockbuster movie in Seattle. The theater is in excellent condition and the projection and sound systems are state-of-the-art. "Spectre", however, is a pretty boring chapter in the 007 franchise and I wouldn't recommend a trip to the Cinerama to see it (unless you appreciate having the cushy seat to sleep in). The new Star Wars episode will be playing at the Cinerama in December. That will be a much better reason to experience the Cinerama.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Vincent206:
The Cinerama Theater worth a visit if you're looking for a comfortable place to watch a blockbuster movie in Seattle. The theater is in excellent condition and the projection and sound systems are state-of-the-art. "Spectre", however, is a pretty boring chapter in the 007 franchise and I wouldn't recommend a trip to the Cinerama to see it (unless you appreciate having the cushy seat to sleep in). The new Star Wars episode will be playing at the Cinerama in December. That will be a much better reason to experience the Cinerama.

To me, the best thing about the new Star Wars is that George Lucas didn't write or direct it. Of course, he deserves credit for cresting the franchise, but "Phantom Menace" was unforgivable.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page