RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » cost saving?

Author Topic: cost saving?
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In connection with a trip I will be taking shortly, Amtrak has informed me that as of November 14, the Worcester, MA Amtrak station will no longer be staffed by Amtrak personnel! There has been an attendant at the station ever since I began traveling in 1986. Now it will be impossible to check luggage, buy tickets, etc. Not sure if this is permanent or not. I think it's very unfortunate. Worcester is the 2nd largest city in New England! It should have more, not less attention from Amtrak. Because of lack of advertising, most Worcester residents have no idea that trains from Boston to Chicago and back stop here every day.
Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilbert B Norman
Member # 1541

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gilbert B Norman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if Amtrak operations are at a "cookie jar break even" with the Corridor X-subsidizing the LD's, Amtrak is still looking for many a nickel and dime cost cut on the LD's. Review the Dining Car menus for both prices and selections; note on some routes - even the Auto Train - where no longer is anything prepared to order (well, microwaved to order).

The same applies equally to station staffing.

The Silver Star "experiment" has now been extended through March. This may or may not be that Amtrak no longer has enough roadworthy Diners available. But when the new V-Chows finally enter revenue service, they might well be reconfigured into some kind of "Food Service Car".

It becomes evermore evident that Amtrak is no more interested in marketing the LD travel product than were the railroads post-1967 in marketing theirs.

Posts: 9975 | From: Clarendon Hills, IL USA (BNSF Chicago Sub MP 18.71) | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page